C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pressure Regulator? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
doyleq
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Regulator? Help!!

Ok, I have changed the fuel pump, then the starter and found gas in cylinders. Dry-fired and it started for a second and then seemed to lock up again. There was obviously gas in the oil which I have changed and with no chunks in it. Let sit lastnight and woke up to find fuel in oil again. Any suggestions? Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? Is there any possible way to check regulator with car not running or do I just replace? Any help I can get would be appreciated. Hopefully not bent rod or has hydro'd engine.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

pull the vacum hose to it and see if there's fuel in it also, you may have another issue also such as an injector not holding pressure and releasing fuel into the engine.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

With fuel going into the oil, you have fuel passing thru the injectors into the cylinders. My bet is on injectors. The injectors should hold the fuel back without the engine running. If you find fuel in the vacuum line going to the regulator that means the diaphragm is broken and you will not be getting accurate pressure to the injectors. Even with a bad FPR you should not be getting fuel into the cylinders.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Thank you for chiming in on this, I've read your posts and you are an excellent mechanic, respectfully, bob
Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 PM
doyleq
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From fuel pump to injectors bad all at once?

One of the questions i have is ....is this normal for all to go wrong at once? It began with a dead battery that i jump started- went to replacing the fuel pump then the starter and then found fuel in the cylinders. Now probably the injectors. Is this the normal sequence of parts to go bad? Finally, how exactly should i check the injectors to see if they are bad especially since the car will not run only turnover. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:55 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

no , not normal , but it happens, check your injectors resistance with a multi meter. that may give an indication of which one isnt holding
Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

you need to
1. post the year of your vette
2.quit throwing parts at it and start doing diagnostic( thats what this forum is for)
3.plan on replacing 'all' injectors, if you're doing that much work do it right
4. while you have it apart , if you have one, replace the egr and put a new diaphram in the fuel regulator, replace all gaskets and o-rings with new. My personal favorite for these parts is Jon at FIC a vender on here, good parts, excellent service. but wherever you get them do everything, you dont want to do it again very soon.
hope this helps
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
gmboileau
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a leaking FP regulator on my Ford van. It has a very similar set-up to the L98 corvette in terms of fuel pump, regulator, injectors..... different looking parts same concept.

The FPR diaphragm had ruptured and because of the vacuum hose on the regulator it literally sucked enough fuel into the engine to hydro-lock it through the vacuum line and down the rear of the intake manifold.

I removed the plugs and turned it over and fuel came spewing out of the spark plug hole of the cylinder closest to the FRP. There was a lot of gas. I still thank my lucky stars that I didn't have a fire. As well there was fuel in the oil.

If your regulator is damaged it should be easy to see by removing the vacuum line and then turning key to the run position to let the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds. Do this a couple of times ....if you see fuel at the end of regulator vacuum connection there's your problem. If it's dry... as the others have suggested ..look closely at the injectors

Last edited by gmboileau; 02-01-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pressure Regulator? Help!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator? Help!!