C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM
drumchum
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Problem

Bought a '85 corvette, 4+3 tranny. The turn signals don't work, here are the symptoms.

The first day I realized that only 4 of the tail lights were working,
the close driver side and far passenger side were broken. Furthermore, the 15A fuse for the 'signal' was completely melted.

When you flip on the signals, on the instrument panal, the signal arrow shows up, it doesn't make any noise or flash (I dont know if this is normal or not, this is my first c4 corvette). Outside, the signal lights turn on but they don't flash, the tail lights don't flash either.

I put in a new 15A fuse but it didn't really make a difference. I plan on changing the 2 tail light bulbs but I am wondering what you guys think the signal issue here is? Do I simply just have a bad signal switch harness?

Thanks, I'm new to this forum and so far everyone has been extremely helpful, unlike my old subaru NASIOC forum where everyone was slightly more hostile.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

This is for an 86 but should give you an idea of where to start.. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...l-flasher.html
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drumchum
When you flip on the signals, on the instrument panal, the signal arrow shows up, it doesn't make any noise or flash (I dont know if this is normal or not, this is my first c4 corvette). Outside, the signal lights turn on but they don't flash, the tail lights don't flash either.
This is normal with burned out bulbs. The flasher relies on the current through the bulb to switch: burned out bulb => no current => no flash.

The blown fuse may indicate another problem, but change the bulbs first.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

If the bulbs and fuse dont fix it, try tilting the steering column up and down. Could be a bare wire in the column harness.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal Problem

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Problem