C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

bose stereo diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default bose stereo diagnosis

i searched bose and have been reading threads for the past hour and i have a problem thats a little different than the typical poping, whining, no sound issues.

my problem is: sound is crap, absolutely no bass and easily distorted sound with volume but, i have very little room with the volume adjustment. i literally have less than 2mm adjustment on the **** between silence and total distortion. also sometimes i get the whining but sometimes it doesnt do it.

my question is, is this a head unit problem or a speaker/amp problem? or both? im probably going to replace the entire unit but i would like to know my options.

thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I would call Dr. Don http://www.doctordons.com/ very helpful and can likely give you an accurate answer.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
thurman_merman
Racer

thanks for the link. i called and he helped me out. turns out its the radio module under the dash going bad.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by thurman_merman
thanks for the link. i called and he helped me out. turns out its the radio module under the dash going bad.
Sounds like the same probelm is at all 4 speakers so in that case it might indicate the tuner/pre-amp is a problem. I would sure like to take a shot at that one myself.
But be as it may, best luck with the Doctor.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 AM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had some work done by him and now I know now why they call him DOCTOR, Wow $$$$$
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like the CDM has gone bad. I had same problem in my 1990. I could hear something coming from the radio but it was real low volume and poor quality. My 1991 had problems with the Bose amps (one amp hissed and popped) -- CDM was fine. I decided to go aftermarket instead of repairing what was there (aftermarket gave me bluetooth and USB, as well). You mentioned that your CDM was under the dash. That is good. I understand that the later model C4s had the CDM behind the seat and many sustained water damage when the top was off in the rain or the top leaked. I have heard that these water damaged units are unrepairable. If you want to get the CDM fixed on the cheap, you might try this guy in Chesapeake, VA. He charges $98 and guarantees his work. According to his eBay ad, he has repaired 17 of these amps, so he must be somewhat familiar with it. I have not had any experience with this vendor but perhaps another member of this forum has and will share their thoughts.

There is a phone number on the eBay auction site, so you might want to give him a call. Here is the jump to the ebay ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-BOS...item25507b8d05
Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM
thurman_merman
Racer

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Sounds like the same probelm is at all 4 speakers so in that case it might indicate the tuner/pre-amp is a problem. I would sure like to take a shot at that one myself.
But be as it may, best luck with the Doctor.
im pretty sure thats what he was telling me. he said the cd and tape units are "slave" devices and the main unit under the dash took those as input when activated but could care less about them when not playing. as far as i understood him the tuner/preamp was the module under the dash.

Originally Posted by summerst
Sounds like the CDM has gone bad. I had same problem in my 1990. I could hear something coming from the radio but it was real low volume and poor quality. My 1991 had problems with the Bose amps (one amp hissed and popped) -- CDM was fine. I decided to go aftermarket instead of repairing what was there (aftermarket gave me bluetooth and USB, as well). You mentioned that your CDM was under the dash. That is good. I understand that the later model C4s had the CDM behind the seat and many sustained water damage when the top was off in the rain or the top leaked. I have heard that these water damaged units are unrepairable. If you want to get the CDM fixed on the cheap, you might try this guy in Chesapeake, VA. He charges $98 and guarantees his work. According to his eBay ad, he has repaired 17 of these amps, so he must be somewhat familiar with it. I have not had any experience with this vendor but perhaps another member of this forum has and will share their thoughts.

There is a phone number on the eBay auction site, so you might want to give him a call. Here is the jump to the ebay ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-BOS...item25507b8d05
im glad you mentioned this because my roof does leak, after a rain my floorboards will be wet and it doesnt smell like coolant so its not the heater core. i dont drive it in the rain so it has to be the roof right? lol

if i decide to repair the bose ill cheack that guy out, the doctor wants $150 to repair the module so <$100 sounds pretty good.

thanks for the replies, im still weighing my options but im really leaning toward pulling everything out and putting a regular system in. i like the idea of bluetooth and pandora and it will free up some space to mount a couple of gauges and keep them off my pillar.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

If you opt to move to an aftermarket radio, check this thread out. If your Bose speakers and amps are usable, you can save the hassle and expense of rewiring your car for all new speakers. And the money you save, you can get a new weatherstrip for your leaky top. Also, if it was the heater core, you would smell the antifreeze. I went through that in my 1991. Not an easy fix.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...post1579859427

Get notified of new replies

To bose stereo diagnosis

Quick Reply: bose stereo diagnosis