C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by midweekwarrior
Okay, so imma tell my story now.... I replaced the optispark on my vette, and i forgot a socket that somehow managed to get into the area driver side between the engine bracket/chasis thing and the fender well... rattled constantly for about 3 weeks until i gave up and noticed it being shiny one afternoon when i was changing the oil.

Moral of the story....

not all noises are problems, some come and go and i attribute them to the mechanic gnomes
Ha ha. I hear ya. I realize the car is 20 years old and rattles and squeaks are going to come and go. This one is gone for now and I'm glad. Who knows if I'll ever figure out what the heck it was?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

OK. Made the noise and I felt it in my left foot resting on the floor last night. Varying degrees of noise from light to loud. Same thing with my foot. Didn't do it again this morning.

Could it be the resonator? How is it constructed? Does it have baffles inside like the mufflers?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure about your exhaust, but my '84 is actually a pipe inside another...at least that is what my exhaust guy told me.

Mine would rattle but on when hot. He put it up on the rack and started tapping with the rubber hammer and following the noise.

He fixed it by using a punch and punching holes into the outer pipe and then tack welding the holes shut again. He did about 6 holes and warned me that I didn't have much time left with that exhaust system.....

We fixed "that" rattle that day......of course the endless rattle chase continues on mine...

Quick Reply: Rattling noise