C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[PICS] Modifying the TPIS longtube headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default [PICS] Modifying the TPIS longtube headers

So my #7 plug boot constantly gets burned because of how close the header tube is to the boot. It's a bad design really, which is too bad because everything else on the headers are pretty good.

Well, I finally got the time to take the header off and get it worked on to fix the problem. With the help of a friend here in Phoenix he got me in to see Rob McCabe of McCabe Headers. We took the headers and a spare head to him to see what he could do. In a little less then an hour he was done and I had this...

Here is the old section of pipe next to the new one...

You can see the new tube comes off of the flange quite a bit more than the old tube...

I should be getting the header back on this weekend to test out the mod and make sure it works. In any case, the header looks better now!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks like a great job well done. Good welding.......I should know...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Nicely done!

I almost got to modifying mine this last time they were off. They could really use a cone insert or merge type collector to increase flow speed. Plus get Swain tech coated.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:36 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

The only thing I don't like is that you're losing the bosses for the header bolts. IMO that's the one thing that makes the TPIS headers so appealing. I know that back bolt is a major PITA on my Hooker long tubes and the back one on the pass side is even worse
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

I wasn't aware tpis long tube headers had a fitment issue.

Are you using these with stock (angled?) or aftermarket heads on your 96?

Back in '02, when I got mine, they were the undisputed best fitting header for c4.

Fitment has been like a dream on my 93 (zf6). I didnt have to bend or hammer a thing.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 03-04-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

straight or angle plug heads?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Nice clean mod.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Nicely done!

I almost got to modifying mine this last time they were off. They could really use a cone insert or merge type collector to increase flow speed. Plus get Swain tech coated.
Do you have TPIS long tube headers?

If so, I thought they come jet-hot coated already (which is going to help improve speed).

I wish you didnt mention adding a 'spike' ! that gives me something else to do.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Nicely done!

I like the idea of adding a nice merge collector, but after you do that you might as well get into the next tier of headers, and get a set custom made.

Originally Posted by TA
The only thing I don't like is that you're losing the bosses for the header bolts. IMO that's the one thing that makes the TPIS headers so appealing. I know that back bolt is a major PITA on my Hooker long tubes and the back one on the pass side is even worse
Not a problem at all, in fact I never liked the bosses on the flange, I'd rather just cut a couple spacers and use them. Same effect in the end.

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I wasn't aware tpis long tube headers had a fitment issue.

Are you using these with stock (angled?) or aftermarket heads on your 96?

Back in '02, when I got mine, they were the undisputed best fitting header for c4.

Fitment has been like a dream on my 93 (zf6). I didnt have to bend or hammer a thing.
These are used with stock LT4 heads, so angled plug. The problem isn't apparent on most engines, but it is on mine. They tube comes WAY too close to the plug boot on #7. The way my engine makes heat and RPM I burn the boot almost instantly and there isn't enough room for any kind of shield of sock.

Originally Posted by Crepitus
straight or angle plug heads?
LT4 angle plug

Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 AM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excuse my chronic stupidity - but - why don't they do this when there made ?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RICEKILA
Excuse my chronic stupidity - but - why don't they do this when there made ?
More cuts and bends makes the process more difficult and it would have cost them more money to make them. And as I said, for most motors you won't have an issue.

I'll probably be selling these sometime next year and have a complete set made up with stepped tubes and merge collectors...but for now these will do.

The Exotic Muscle headers are more like what I have now, which was one of the nice improvements they had.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Years ago I was going to dyno tune a car for a guy. He had a C4 with a holley stealth ram, and TPIS headers. We actually couldn't do the dyno tune because he burned up the #7 wire.

He was really mad with TPIS when I showed him how well my "cheap" hooker headers fit my car.

Now in all honestly I have no idea which heads he was running, maybe that was the issue. I would certainly hope they wouldn't sell a product that had such a fundamental flaw for so much $$
Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Years ago I was going to dyno tune a car for a guy. He had a C4 with a holley stealth ram, and TPIS headers. We actually couldn't do the dyno tune because he burned up the #7 wire.

He was really mad with TPIS when I showed him how well my "cheap" hooker headers fit my car.

Now in all honestly I have no idea which heads he was running, maybe that was the issue. I would certainly hope they wouldn't sell a product that had such a fundamental flaw for so much $$
Huh? I didn't have any issue w/ burning up the #7 plug..

You all are scaring me, I got afr195 's coming and I hope my tpis long tube headers don't cause issues with those heads....

If you could rewind to 2002 you would note that corvetteforum consensus was that tpis headers fit like a glove.

That's why I bought them.

Lord knows where all those people who said that are now...

Last edited by dizwiz24; 03-05-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zix
More cuts and bends makes the process more difficult and it would have cost them more money to make them. And as I said, for most motors you won't have an issue.

I'll probably be selling these sometime next year and have a complete set made up with stepped tubes and merge collectors...but for now these will do.

The Exotic Muscle headers are more like what I have now, which was one of the nice improvements they had.
Exotic muscle headers were the ones that people had to hammer, press, bend, etc. To make fit.

I'm still really confused as to why mine fit so well, but the ops doesn't fit well.

Did tpis change something at some point in their production process?

I bought mine in 2002. Paid about 750 for them ( a lot of money) and they came jet hoated coated inside and out.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Huh? I didn't have any issue w/ burning up the #7 plug..
Don't know what to tell you, I've seen it first hand and the OP obviously has a problem with it.

Maybe the QC is just that bad and there is a huge variation from one set to another? Again for the price you wouldn't think so.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Don't know what to tell you, I've seen it first hand and the OP obviously has a problem with it.

Maybe the QC is just that bad and there is a huge variation from one set to another? Again for the price you wouldn't think so.
Im not doubting the OP has a problem, Im trying to figure out why he had a problem with it, but yet I didnt.

LT1 vs. LT4 heads I dont know?

I suspect something changed with the design of the headers (either for the better or the worse...it depends on whether these were bought before or after I bought mine in september 2002).

BTW, I went onto TPIS website and I cant even find any long tube headers for C4.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Could be they need a new jig?

nice work there beats dimpling.
what Id give to be able to weld.

Get notified of new replies

To [PICS] Modifying the TPIS longtube headers

Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Or maybe you just got lucky.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

There are many combinations of heads, headers and plug angles. Some headers will work in some applications and not in others. My Hooker Super competition 1 3/4" came very close to a few boots on my Holley 20 degree straight plug heads and burnt a few every now and then. On other cars, these headers fit fine. I am using ARH stepped headers now with absolutely no fitment issues.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
PDQUIK95
Burning Brakes

Location: Portsmouth Virginia 396LT4 435RWHP/400RWTQ Best so far 11.26 @ 123mph
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have been running the TPIS headers since 02 on the 95 with AFR comp heads and have had no issues with plug wire boots or wires melting. I'm running a set of made4u wire looms that alter the wire routing slightly but I did run stock wire looms initially with no issue. As stated, the OP must have a set that was poorly QA'd. I'm currently swapping out my headers for the ARH stepped headers with new Corsa exhaust so I will have my TPIS headers for sale soon if the new install goes ok.
Rick

Quick Reply: [PICS] Modifying the TPIS longtube headers