C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

polyurethane front control arm bushings. yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 571 Likes on 445 Posts

Default polyurethane front control arm bushings. yay or nay

I want to start a post on this and get opinions on polyurethane bushings for the front upper and lower control arm.

It seems that a lot of users on here had squeaking issues and were not happy with the polyurethane bushings.

Its recommended to use a heavy-duty marine type grease to grease all around the edges of the bushings, anything that can squeak.

Is there anyone out here who is happy with the polyurethane bushings and doesnt have squeak issues?

Also, let me know if you used a heavy-duty marine type grease on the edges.

The bushings on my 93 c4 are cracked and in need of replacement soon.

I have an extra set of control arms with NOS rubber bushings in them and I am contemplating pressing these out to put in polyurethane bushings.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,790 Likes on 954 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I put in Global West Del-a-Lum bushings in my '90. I no longer drive it one he street but they have a smooth quest operation. They do stiffen the ride a little, but I dont think that is a huge concern for you.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GLS-1060/

For the uppers I made my own adjustable arms:

Old 10-12-2012, 01:42 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice..
Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kubs
I put in Global West Del-a-Lum bushings in my '90. I no longer drive it one he street but they have a smooth quest operation. They do stiffen the ride a little, but I dont think that is a huge concern for you.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GLS-1060/

For the uppers I made my own adjustable arms:

Delrin is an option I didn't think of.

Are these meant for street use? I do still enjoy using my car for some long trips and such - though I avoid bad roads. Of course sometimes you can't avoid a bad construction zone or something.

I may still want some compliance. Id hate to hit a small pothole or something and bend suspension components or a rim.

Are my concerns valid? Of course I remember when I put in my banski rear suspension that eliminated all bushings back there, I expected a rougher ride. Instead, the ride got much better as road shock was transmitted directly thru spring/shock vs . Into the frane via my worn out rubber bushings

Do you feel like that's a risk?

Last edited by dizwiz24; 10-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 PM
dt#2
Intl Council of Corvettes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Energy Suspension Kit all around mine and I am happy I did. I still have all the stock upper and lower control arms. I also used the heavy duty marine grease and no issues with squeaking yet but I have been told by a few local guys here in my town that they will eventually sqeak overtime . With that set up you have which BTW is SUPER COOL, it may be in your best interest is well.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,790 Likes on 954 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Delrin is an option I didn't think of.

Are these meant for street use? I do still enjoy using my car for some long trips and such - though I avoid bad roads. Of course sometimes you can't avoid a bad construction zone or something.

I may still want some compliance. Id hate to hit a small pothole or something and bend suspension components or a rim.

Are my concerns valid? Of course I remember when I put in my banski rear suspension that eliminated all bushings back there, I expected a rougher ride. Instead, the ride got much better as road shock was transmitted directly thru spring/shock vs . Into the frane via my worn out rubber bushings

Do you feel like that's a risk?
I do not think breaking suspension on a pot hole is an issue. Those components are pretty tough. What I cannot answer is long trip comfort. Shock from large bump impacts will most likely be felt more, but with the design of the bushing, and being able to grease them I would think their smoother operation would help the ride much like the heim joints did.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Global West for me as well. Thousands of street miles on them without issue. Sure, if your drive into a 12" deep pothole you might break something....but you'll break something with the stock rubber bushings as well.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:06 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Global West for me as well. Thousands of street miles on them without issue. Sure, if your drive into a 12" deep pothole you might break something....but you'll break something with the stock rubber bushings as well.

If that stuff works for you and Kubs, it'll work for me too.

If you can tolerate it on the street then it will work.

Get notified of new replies

To polyurethane front control arm bushings. yay or nay

Quick Reply: polyurethane front control arm bushings. yay or nay