C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help with headlamp 'flip' issue

Old 10-12-2012, 10:08 PM
AR-LT4-Vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with headlamp 'flip' issue

This is my first post for help, so I hope that I am doing this correctly. I have a '96 LT4. I have an issue with my driver's side headlamp not 'flipping'. The light is functional but I have to manually open and close the headlamp.

The first thing I checked was the fuse and it was good.
I researched the issue and it seemed that I might need to replace the plastic gear and busching, and so I ordered a kit and replace the gear and bushing with brass ones (replaced in both headlamps).

When that did not correct the issue, I ordered a brand new motor module and replaced the motor module; however, that did not get the headlamp flipping. I then ordered a brand new headlight motor and I just replaced that with no fix to my issue.

I have replaced all the parts that are available to replace, with the exception of the switch on the dash. Again, the light does work, but the headlamp does not flip open. What am I missing here?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Bushings need to be replaced.
I've done it a few time for under $5

Do a search...
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM
AR-LT4-Vette
4th Gear

That was the first thing that I replaced. I ordered two kits and replaced the gear and bushings in both headlamps. That did not fix the issue, and that is why I proceeded with replacing the motor module and then when that did not fix the issue, I replaced the entire headlamp motor with a new one (obiviously new gear and bushings in the new motor).

Again, the gear and bushings were the FIRST thing I replaced after I had researched the issue. I do appreciate your advice, but that was the first thing I replaced.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Does the light move at all? Or the light comes on but the housing doesn't budge. After replacing all the mechanicals, I guess that leaves the electrical. Perhaps there is a short in the wiring or a loose ground or bad connection to the motor. Start from the light and work backward.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:58 AM
AR-LT4-Vette
4th Gear

The light functions, yet I have to manually flip open and flip close the housing (passenger side headlamp works with no issues). Thank you for your suggestion, I will begin to trace and visually inspect the wiring from the headlamp housing motor back. Do you know if the 'split in the wiring (left and right sides) originates from the motor module? In other words, will the problem/solution exist in the wiring from the motor module to the headlamp or does is the power to left and right also exisiting before the motor module? Thanks again for your suggestion and your time!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:08 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AR-LT4-Vette
The light functions, yet I have to manually flip open and flip close the housing (passenger side headlamp works with no issues). Thank you for your suggestion, I will begin to trace and visually inspect the wiring from the headlamp housing motor back. Do you know if the 'split in the wiring (left and right sides) originates from the motor module? In other words, will the problem/solution exist in the wiring from the motor module to the headlamp or does is the power to left and right also exisiting before the motor module? Thanks again for your suggestion and your time!
That is a very good question. I have not had this problem as of yet so I haven't had to learn about headlights yet. I just got an FSM, so if I have a moment today, I'll look it up. But I'd bet that you're not getting power to that motor.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 AM
AR-LT4-Vette
4th Gear

I believe that you are absolutely correct; as well, my worry was that it would be a wiring issue of some sort... I was hoping that maybe there was a relay somewhere to be placed or yet another fuse to check.

Prior to this problem I had two strange incidents about a week or so apart. After sitting for a few hours, the lights would be kindof opened but not all the way. The second time, it was accompanied by a 'ticking' sort of sound. I felt sure when I ordered the motor module the problem would be fixed. BTW, both of the lights were affected in those incidents.

I have no wiring diagrams, the Chilton's manual I got is a total waste of money for most everything. Is your "FSM" a Full Service Manual or Factory Service Manual or something like that? If so, where can I purchase one?

Thanks again for your time and support!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Okay, the book says to test the system by running a fused jumper to from the battery positive terminal to terminal A of the door motor connector. Then a jumper from the B terminal to ground. If the door is open is should now close. It says if no to replace motor assmbly, if yes to...

Reverse the wires, iow- fused jumper from battery to B and ground A, if door is closed it should open. If no, replace motor assmbly, if yes to...

check for short to ground, short to B+ or an open in the two wires from the headlamp door module to the headlamp door motor connector.

If the wires are okay, replace the headlamp door actuator control module. According to the book the control module is on the inner wheelhouse left(driver) side.

I need to get going, but that's what I found so far.

I got this from a forum member selling it in the parts for sale section. They can also be found on e-bay. It is a red two book set for Y-platform.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 AM
J's Nest
Intermediate

This may sound too simple, but I had a similar situation with my 87. It turned out to be one of the screws on the side of the housing that encases the light was sticking out just enough to catch and keep the light from flipping up. I tightened it back up with a little lock-tight and it has been operating perfectly for the last five years.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J's Nest
This may sound too simple, but I had a similar situation with my 87. It turned out to be one of the screws on the side of the housing that encases the light was sticking out just enough to catch and keep the light from flipping up. I tightened it back up with a little lock-tight and it has been operating perfectly for the last five years.
I thought that too, but I'm guessing that with all the work he's done thus far, this would've been either discovered, or even unwhittingly repaired by this time. I'm leaning towards the control module.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with headlamp 'flip' issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with headlamp 'flip' issue