C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 hard brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Mvann2400
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 hard brake lines

So as you can see in the title i have a 89 and the brake lines are getting pretty rusty where they go into the floor for the abs so i want to replace them. First i started looking into kits manily stainless and found classic tube which looking further there is no kit for 89 or 90 but there is one for 86-88 and some newer years which they do have diffrent size lines according to classic tube. From what i seen off of there site is the abs return line is diffrent size. So i am wandering if anybody on here can tell me that a 89 is the same as xx year.

I had also thought of making the lines myself from parts house straight tubing which i have done similar stuff before no problem but at one point i had a problem with a rebuilt master cylnder i found out that the fittings going into the master are metric. With that said i am guessing the entire system lines/ fittings are also. Can anybody comfirm that? The problem with the metric is nobody around me (that i know of / went to) carries metric. You outta see there faces when you ask for metric brake line fitting then they ask what car its off of and reply with a corvette.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I believe if you wanted to do the lines yourself you only need to match the tubing size, reuse the nuts (they've seen no weather) and make sure you have an ISO (inside out) "bubble" flare tool. The ABS control is certainly machined for ISO "bubble". If you demolished any fittings you would need ISO "bubble" M10X1.0 nuts except at the master where they use a different thread dimensions for front and rear to avoid a mismatch on the connections. I don't know why you would demolish them either. On the pipes at the wheel caliper ends the pipes are also I'm quite sure "bubble" and M10X1.0 would do them also. Might be nice for new nuts there.

Bubble is NOT like or similar to double-flare and it's a plus because its a single stroke flare vs a double flare which is a two stroke. Bubble is quite easy.

Bubble top - Double bottom

I would likely, depending on the condition of the pipes remove the retainers to the body,scuff/sand them(the pipes) and maybe coat them with an epoxy coating of some sort. I don't know how practical it is on a C4 but I've done it on others. I've never checked my brake pipes. Fuel pipes are fine.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Mike,
Dave is right about the ISO Bubble Flares. I rolled my own SS brake lines and got the bits from InLineTube.com. The flaring tool wasn't cheap, but I got the nice Mastercool hydraulic one as I intend to do many more flares.

I made six lines in total. There are two running from the MC to the ABS for Front and Rear inputs. There are two that run from the ABS back to the front for RF/LF calipers. There is one that runs from the ABS for the two rear calipers. The last one that runs forward along with the two MC lines and two front caliper lines is the fuel tank vent line. I also made this vent line to replace the whole bundle that runs along the driver side.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Ray,

That's some good looking tube forming there. Did you buy the complete Mastercool that does the Saginaw seal type as well as the Push-connect fuel lines. That's a very complete package that's both metric and SAE I believe. The interesting thing about the "bubble' is that it can even be accomplished with a very inexpensive bar/clamp type device.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Ray,

That's some good looking tube forming there. Did you buy the complete Mastercool that does the Saginaw seal type as well as the Push-connect fuel lines. That's a very complete package that's both metric and SAE I believe. The interesting thing about the "bubble' is that it can even be accomplished with a very inexpensive bar/clamp type device.
Thanks, Dave. Yea, I got the full Mastercool kit. I was trying to convey that I bought the expensive kit to do more and varied jobs, but the ISO Bubble doesn't need this elaborate tool. You said it much more clearly though.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Mvann2400
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. All your input is appreciated
Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Quayle
Mike,
Dave is right about the ISO Bubble Flares. I rolled my own SS brake lines and got the bits from InLineTube.com. The flaring tool wasn't cheap, but I got the nice Mastercool hydraulic one as I intend to do many more flares.
I made six lines in total. There are two running from the MC to the ABS for Front and Rear inputs. There are two that run from the ABS back to the front for RF/LF calipers. There is one that runs from the ABS for the two rear calipers. The last one that runs forward along with the two MC lines and two front caliper lines is the fuel tank vent line. I also made this vent line to replace the whole bundle that runs along the driver side.
Looks great Ray. Very professional looking.

Last edited by 383vett; 01-12-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 383vett
Looks great Ray. Very professional looking.
Thanks Willie. Now I need to get off my lazy backside and get them installed! Along with the motor, wiring harnesses, fuel lines, front suspension, ...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Thanks Willie. Now I need to get off my lazy backside and get them installed! Along with the motor, wiring harnesses, fuel lines, front suspension, ...
But first you have to mow the lawn, cut the hedges, paint the porch, watch a few playoff games...
Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

If needed I have the fittings for an ABS pump from a 90 model.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Mike,

Greetings!

Nice post and info. I have a line replacement to do and need to ask you how and in what manner did you access the abs/lines going to same (Mine is an '88 coup). My thread link is posted below.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597341529

Get notified of new replies

To 89 hard brake lines

Quick Reply: 89 hard brake lines