C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Knock sensor and gear drive...do or don't?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Knock sensor and gear drive...do or don't?

Seems like a decent amount of conflicting info on this and I would like to get some definite answers one way or another if possible. Here's my setup:

'92 L05 flat-tappet block, stock heads, Hedmann Elite long-tube headers, 1.5 roller tip rockers, TPI with heavily ported stock base and runners, 2,800 stall and my cam specs are as follows:

Speed Pro cam 1062R specs are 220*/231*, LSA 110, .468/.480.

I have a local tuner who is VERY GOOD at burning chips (I've driven and seen his work first-hand as I worked in his shop for 3 years) and can get dyno tuning no sweat. e's assured me this will not be an issue.I know I will run a single O2 and have a bung for a wide-band on the other header. Also, since it's a low(er) compression motor how much does this affect things one way or another

I have a new double-roller timing chain but a friend just gave me a new Edelbrock Accu-drive (part #7890) gear drive and I like the durability and cam adjustment capability. I've had one friend who swears no KS is needed (He doesn't run one on his '93 Z28 that has heads, cam and 1.6RRs) and another friend who says 'absolutely not' to run the gear drive.

Do any of you have any additional thoughts here? The engine is going in my '84 Z51 and replacing the L83.

Thanks for any help on this!

Lee
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

You can put a resistor in the KS connecting wire that will "trick" your knock module into thinking there is no spark knock when there really is some. Cannot remember the specs on the resistor but it is an item you can get at Radioshack. I read about this mod on one of the Gm sites but sorry I did not put in my favorites. I have never been a big fan of gear drives but I have friends that have them........some still like them and others got sick of the cool sound after awhile and went back to a double roller set up.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Gear drives have additional drawbacks besides just triggering false counts by knock sensors.

They increase oil temp and increase valve train harmonic transfer. The only people who still run them are Sprint cars, because of the camshaft driven fuel pumps.

The knock sensor does a very important job by preventing pre-ignition... Why would you want to disable it? I wouldn't get rid of that function.

Will
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

they are cool for about 5 min then you get tired of it
Dont like what they can do to valvesprings over time.
If you do run a real good dampner

Personally unles its a race only carbed deal I wouldnt.
Chains take less power to turn from what I understand also.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Run the timing chain. It's bulletproof.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Alright, sounds like the gear drive is a no-go. Thanks everyone!

Grateful,

Lee

Get notified of new replies

To Knock sensor and gear drive...do or don't?

Quick Reply: Knock sensor and gear drive...do or don't?