C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SYS blinking

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SYS blinking

Just put my 93 back on the road after putting in 2! power steering pumps. Im an expert now,yeah right. Took it for a long ride just cruisng at about 50 or 60 mph. Running smooth no problems,until i stepped on it thats when i got the sys flash. I didnt notice any thing other than the sys flash,still ran great. The battery is 6 months old and charging.I still have the old bose radio and havent fooled with anything electrical.Oh by the way i was in Daytona for speed weeks and i made the Nationwide race lucky that i was further down the front stretch than where the engine came through.What a mess! Dave
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you mess with the cooling system to work on the power steering? If you did you have to go through at least 3 heat cycles and keep filling the upper expansion tank after it's cooled down. Also, don't forget to bleed the air out of the bleeder on the thermostat housing. If you didn't mess with the cooling system, check all fluid levels and then check for any fault codes after you've charged the battery.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Yeah i changed the antifreeze and cleaned radiator. Didnt bleed the air out when you look in the tank you can see a good flow of return water so i thought i was ok? During all the work i had the battery on and off alot,i think i better check the ground to make sure its tight. As far as fluid levels i also replaced pwer steering pump and fluid. Ive had car since Oct and havent attempted to read a code. Are there that many possibilities when this sys come up? Thanks Dave
Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My 93 will always flash sys after messing with the cooling system until it's full. So that's probably what's happenning. Even though you see the coolant flowing you still may have air in the system. I have an electric WP which helps me when bleeding, but I still have to heat cycle the engine. I only have to open the bleeder screw once (engine off, paper towel or rag to catch coolant) during the initial fill. If possible it helps to have the front end of the car raised. Don't worry about checking codes unless until you've confirmed all your fluids are good and the coolant filling process is complete. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I really don't see how you could have an electrical "SYS" fault by low/changing the coolant?

Even though the battery is 6 months old, if the car hasn't been driven much it could have a low charge. Fully charge the battery and see if the "SYS" goes away.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
I really don't see how you could have an electrical "SYS" fault by low/changing the coolant?

Even though the battery is 6 months old, if the car hasn't been driven much it could have a low charge. Fully charge the battery and see if the "SYS" goes away.

A flashing SYS message is an indicator of some type of electrical issue.
Number one cause is a Low (discharged) battery. But it could be any number of other electrical issues.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Update, charged battery it was at 85 percent? Also ran it a few times to bring the temp up. Havent had the code come up again.

Get notified of new replies

To SYS blinking

Quick Reply: SYS blinking