C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 A/C Duct 'Stuff' Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 PM
mike2977
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 A/C Duct 'Stuff' Repair?

So my '84 couple has been garage kept for years (over 12), and driven sparingly by the previous owner. Then I had it in the shop for about 6 weeks. Now that I'm starting to drive it in Florida, there are times when I use the vent/fan or even the A/C when I close the windows (love the cool air with the windows open.)

Each time I start the blower up in vent or A/C mode, all kinds of black foam blows out. Some small pieces as small as dust, and some larger pieces that wedge in the vents and I have to suck them out with my handi-vac. Worse yet are the pieces that lodge in the carpeting that I don't see and step on leaving black smudges that have to be shampooed out.

Any recommendations other than tearing the whole dash apart, removing the ducts and either replacing (if parts even available,) or blowing out with high pressure air?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 208 Posts

Nope. You can just run the fan until it all comes out, but that could be a while. I have been there. A little carb cleaner takes it out of the carpet nicely.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While sitting in your driveway run the fan on high. Hold a bath towel in front of vents and that will catch most of the crud. Like DinoBob said it has to come out on its own,but you should be able to catch alot of it. That said i wouldnt use carb cleaner on anything inside a car??
Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM
mike2977
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shop Vac

Originally Posted by davewhtt
While sitting in your driveway run the fan on high. Hold a bath towel in front of vents and that will catch most of the crud. Like DinoBob said it has to come out on its own,but you should be able to catch alot of it. That said i wouldnt use carb cleaner on anything inside a car??
Do you see any harm in using a shop vac and bring the intake close to each of the outlets I can reach. Of course I don't want to suck the vent covers into it!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for it

Get notified of new replies

To C4 A/C Duct 'Stuff' Repair?

Quick Reply: C4 A/C Duct 'Stuff' Repair?