C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

T56 swap??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,183 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by DDeRiso
Ohh and one more question

What kind of flywheel am I looking for??
As I said above, I used a stock LT1 F-body flywheel. Any direct replacement thereof, would work fine.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Toms suggestion is probably a lot more cost effective
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 PM
DDeRiso
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Toms suggestion is probably a lot more cost effective
Yea now that I think about it that would be a better idea but my only concern is that I wa searching the web and it seems there hard to get a hold of.(I'm probably wrong) but if I could get my hands on the stock flywheel I would do that ( who doesn't like to save money ) but if I can't I was just wondering because you guys said the stock one had to be modified to fit cause of the the 2pc RMS so would the aftermarket flywheel I get (if I can't find a stock one) would it have to be modified also ???
Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

That is correct; if you get a FW that is FOR an F-bod LT1 application, it will need the same modifications that I mentioned earlier; neutral balanced, bolt pattern drilled, and hub enlarged.
Is there a FW that works with an F-bod LT1 cluch/trans and bolts to an older 2pc RMS crank? Probably, but I haven't used one, so maybe cuisinartvette can fill in here...

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 04-11-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

only ones I know of are aftermarket the bolt pattern is different flange depth I think also. Not sure if a stock one can be modded or not
Aftermarkets are a few hundred bucks easiest way Id guess if you cant find a LTx piece. Gotta be some on ebay or craigslist Get it surfaced and go.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That is correct; if you get a FW that is FOR an F-bod LT1 application, it will need the same modifications that I mentioned earlier; neutral balanced, bolt pattern drilled, and hub enlarged.
Is there a FW that works with an F-bod LT1 cluch/trans and bolts to an older 2pc RMS crank? Probably, but I haven't used one, so maybe cuisinartvette can fill in here...
Here's a thread over at ThirdGen that lists current manufacturers of the 2 pcs RMS flywheel for LT1/T56 applications. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tr...-flywheel.html

Tom400, Good to hear that you've had your LT1 flywheel modified. I've heard this done (once) before. I'm not sure I could find a competent machine shop around here that would do it for $80 though.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I was worried when I had them do it, that they wouldn't "get it" and they'd screw it up. But they didn't. They did a good job and it worked.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 PM
DDeRiso
Intermediate

I need to get the clutch and pressure plate and there not cheap or hard to find so I was wondering if this would work http://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-231...rd-lt1-11.aspx
Thanks for all the help

Regards D
Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

That should do it.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 PM
DDeRiso
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That should do it.
Just the news I was looking for

Thanks for all the quick replies guys been a big help

Regards D
Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
DDeRiso
Intermediate

Ok so I know I asked this question but I didn't get a response I need the c beam bracket and the only people to do this (that I know of) are
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...10kXFehhMRuGIQ

But for some reason the page won't load on my phone computer it anything.

I was wondering Is there anyone else who make them??

And if we're to have one made were cause I get the "specs" of what would need to be made??

Thanks for your time
Regards D
Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok so I know I asked this question but I didn't get a response I need the c beam bracket and the only people to do this (that I know of) are

And if we're to have one made were cause I get the "specs" of what would need to be made??

Thanks for your time
Regards D
The page appears to be down, you can check the google cache version and give him a call and see if he'll still make it. Other than that, it's basically a C channel with bolt holes for the T56 tail housing and two holes drilled to line up with the C-Beam. The ones from Pro-street haven't had the holes drilled in them for the c-beam so you have to mock it up for your car mark them and drill them.

One other things to consider with an '84 you'll have to go to a small nose starter to fit the LT-1 t-56 bellhousing. Again, not hard but something to remember.

I've been slowly doing mine over the last year (I wrench slow to say the least) but so far the biggest PITA have been the things that are normally a PITA with a clutch job. Specifically wrestling with the C-beam, wrestling with a 100 lb + transmission, cramming your fingers around the bellhousing, dealing with the lack of space in the corvette tunnel etc.

None of this is special to this swap and some of it is made easier by the opportunity to cut a hole in the middle of your car.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
DHobbs
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your time
Regards D
I sent you a pm

Quick Reply: T56 swap??