C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Finally bites bullet/upgrade opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
There's definitely nothing simpler to install than a MR. And, on an automatic car -- headed down a straight-line track -- it's the "bees/knees". Problem is there are other types of races, rpms where power is best suited, classes by HP (that mean more torque wins), and stick cars where gear selection might not be as straightforward as you think.

For ANY automatic car, I will always agree that an intake peaking just before your shift point(s) is the way to go. For a stick on the autocross track, it's gets more complicated. That where -- if you've followed l98TPIs posts, you'd understand.

Also, that FIRST isn't a "whole new beast". It's been around for years -- though just recently modified to fit LT cars too.

A link to the comparison would be interesting to see. If you're talking about dyno'd HP number in the TPI Shootout, most of us already know what you mean. In many of those TGO threads, the HSR is consider "the winner". Nothing is black and white.
YEP. I have an auto. Strictly street so the mini ram would be the right set up for me. However it aint in the budget so for now it's gonna be my L98 with headers,dump the air pump and egr, new injectors and maybe some 1.6 rockers, and a tune. Don't know if the 1.6 rockers are worth doing on my stock engine.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:39 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
YEP. I have an auto. Strictly street so the mini ram would be the right set up for me. However it aint in the budget so for now it's gonna be my L98 with headers,dump the air pump and egr, new injectors and maybe some 1.6 rockers, and a tune. Don't know if the 1.6 rockers are worth doing on my stock engine.
Dumping the air pump and EGR aren't "beneficial"...and the later isn't advisable for a stock motor.

1.6 rockers are "worth it"...considering the age of your car warrants new springs anyway. Install both at the same time.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

[QUOTE=GREGGPENN;1583980538]You OUGHT to be able to sell/buy/swap for a FIRST intake without losing any money. You'd gain at least 500 rpms and probably a bit more. For someone running a motor above 6k rpms, it's really the only longtube choice. That precludes the SR...and MR.

Hopefully, you know about "negative" pressure on the rods when you run a TPI beyond it's peak?

Obviously, there are other [HP] considerations for your auto-x class -- that I've no clue about -- but the FIRST is definitely the test longtube TPI for a 383 (or higher). Maybe it wouldn't "hold down" your horsepower enough? Is that a consideration for the 383 too?

I am sticking with the High Flow TPI I currently have. But in bainstorming the cubes, one felt that larger than 383 may decrease actual torque production in the 3K to 4.5K and not be worth the additional weight and cost. And the negative pressure above peak, I have not heard that before, although there was one time on track when coming down straight and in a pass and come up on corner I slightly lifted on the throttle and felt like I got a push in the ***!! And no my rear didn't lighten up and get squirrely, it just felt like I was laying into the throttle. Never felt that since.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Dont listen to him he put a 195 head on a 421 !

wow.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Don't forget the 3 piece under drive pulley set and remove your frisbee. I will say that when upgrading a stock L98, the pulleys seemed to be one of the best mods. The engine will spool up quick. And that is what you want. And if you don't already, the 3.07 rear gear is the best gear for an auto with an L98 TPI.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
wow.
Relax was just poking fun at you your motor makes great power.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Relax was just poking fun at you your motor makes great power.

The humor was pretty obvious.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Dumping the air pump and EGR aren't "beneficial"...and the later isn't advisable for a stock motor.

1.6 rockers are "worth it"...considering the age of your car warrants new springs anyway. Install both at the same time.
Blah. EGR went out when cams with overlap went in. All that junk can go out the door and one less headache to troubleshoot.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbercr
Sounds like you are looking for a serious engine combination. I recommend you talk to TPI421VETTE (Jim). He can build whatever you are looking for. See his post on the 421 he is just now finishing.
Another vote for Jim. He makes it look easy and you know you have a good builder when people sell their cars and randomly mention his name in the listing, like you should already know the name.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

cheapest may well be a 383 with keeping your top end. lots of tourque. Don't know how well does @6500 tho. Lots of talk about beehive springs with the 1.6 rockers.. Single wound ,lighter, as much or more pounds in the upper reaches of rocker travel. haven't tried them yet tho.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:18 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

If you've already decided on a forged bottom end, then a 396 won't cost any more.

As far as RPMs go, my 396 Super Ram with a 221/230 cam and AFR 195s will pull 6,000. It peaks around 5,500.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Blah. EGR went out when cams with overlap went in. All that junk can go out the door and one less headache to troubleshoot.
You didn't mention having an aftermarket cam. That would have been helpful.

The stock cam(s) don't have any overlap to speak about. The stock 89 for example, has a 117 LSA.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:26 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

You didn't mention having an aftermarket cam. That would have been helpful.

The stock cam(s) don't have any overlap to speak about. The stock 89 for example, has a 117 LSA.
Shucks Greg right now i have nothing. Dead stock. I'm researching,learning,collecting info and opinions. One thing is for sure. I either slap a better exhaust on mine with a cam like that LPE 211/219 and a tune and let it go at that. Or go deep in the wallet with a whole new engine. From what Jim is telling me i might as well go to a 383 instead of a 350 but my TPI isn't gonna cut the mustard feeding that engine. Frustrating dilemma to say the least.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:27 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by l98tpi
I am sticking with the High Flow TPI I currently have. But in bainstorming the cubes, one felt that larger than 383 may decrease actual torque production in the 3K to 4.5K and not be worth the additional weight and cost. And the negative pressure above peak, I have not heard that before, although there was one time on track when coming down straight and in a pass and come up on corner I slightly lifted on the throttle and felt like I got a push in the ***!! And no my rear didn't lighten up and get squirrely, it just felt like I was laying into the throttle. Never felt that since.
I get the impression you're sticking with your current intake. Not sure why. Just a hunch...

That same air restriction that doesn't "allow" more air to pass beyond peak intake flow also starts "holding back the RA from turning. When they're trying to pull air in -- and can't -- pressure on the pins/rods reverses. If run significantly beyond peak, it's hard on the motor. Don't remember where I saw this ... or I'd provide a link. It was an external source like HotRod Magazine or something.

Maybe someone else saw it?

Even without that, people who "do the math" on the correct shift point usually recommend 3-400 rpms above HP peak. If you wait until 6500, aren't you about 1k rpms above peak?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:47 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

At the very least, look into a modified LT-1 intake. I see them as low as $300 and $400 for ones with attention to detail in the finished piece. Not a big fan of spending a grand on big mouth base, runners, plenum and throttle body while still leaving rpm on the table, either. I love the stock L98 intake but would not plunk it on anything other than the original 350 it rolled off the line on.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

I get the impression you're sticking with your current intake. Not sure why. Just a hunch...

That same air restriction that doesn't "allow" more air to pass beyond peak intake flow also starts "holding back the RA from turning. When they're trying to pull air in -- and can't -- pressure on the pins/rods reverses. If run significantly beyond peak, it's hard on the motor. Don't remember where I saw this ... or I'd provide a link. It was an external source like HotRod Magazine or something.

Even without that, people who "do the math" on the correct shift point usually recommend 3-400 rpms above HP peak. If you wait until 6500, aren't you about 1k rpms above peak?
It boils down to living with what the car came with and a few ponies added with a cam and exhaust. Beyond that L98 is done right there. Super Rams are rare as hens teeth now so it comes down to a mini ram or that First Fuel Injection oversized TPI set up. The mini ram is for high rpm applications and the First is mid range. The First is also cheaper than the mini ram. I called TPIS and talked to them. They were telling me cam heads rockers push rods valve springs on and on. Heck it would be cheaper to buy a ZZ383 and slap that First on it in the end. Maybe i'll just dive off my balcony.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

It boils down to living with what the car came with and a few ponies added with a cam and exhaust. Beyond that L98 is done right there. Super Rams are rare as hens teeth now so it comes down to a mini ram or that First Fuel Injection oversized TPI set up. The mini ram is for high rpm applications and the First is mid range. The First is also cheaper than the mini ram. I called TPIS and talked to them. They were telling me cam heads rockers push rods valve springs on and on. Heck it would be cheaper to buy a ZZ383 and slap that First on it in the end. Maybe i'll just dive off my balcony.
This response was to a post I directed at l98tpi. No problem though...sounds like you have it figured out. Except that it's better to leave the EGR in place until more overlap is "installed". Assuming a lower-end is in your future, it doesn't matter.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Finally bites bullet/upgrade opinions

Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
At the very least, look into a modified LT-1 intake. I see them as low as $300 and $400 for ones with attention to detail in the finished piece. Not a big fan of spending a grand on big mouth base, runners, plenum and throttle body while still leaving rpm on the table, either. I love the stock L98 intake but would not plunk it on anything other than the original 350 it rolled off the line on.
If you're talking to l98TPI, he already has a modified (big mouth) TPI. In auto-x, you race is class of HP. With the lower HP of a TPI, you can compete with 300hp cars and run 400 ft/lbs of torque. It's a nice advantage.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:10 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

In accordance with my dyno, my HP peak is at @4800 rpm. So I suppose we would be 1700rpm above peak on the 350, now I feel that the 350 limited the flow of the intake and heads a little so the peak may slightly rise with a 383 or 396. We can see when it is all finished.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
In accordance with my dyno, my HP peak is at @4800 rpm. So I suppose we would be 1700rpm above peak on the 350, now I feel that the 350 limited the flow of the intake and heads a little so the peak may slightly rise with a 383 or 396. We can see when it is all finished.
AFR 195 heads will outflow the TPI intake and most likely the TPiS manifold. If you want to raise the RPM band you need shorter runners like the Super Ram or Mini Ram. If you want to increase the flow, you need to increase the diameter of the runners. If you have stock runners, those are your choke point. Increasing cubic inches won't change that.

By the way, the 195s are a good match for a 396. You just need more air flow to the heads. For what you say you are looking for, the Mini Ram seems like the ticket. You could sell the TPiS manifold to help pay for it. Any loss of low end torque from the Mini would be more than made up for with the longer stroke. And you would still have power at higher RPMs. I'm just sayin.

Quick Reply: L98 Finally bites bullet/upgrade opinions