C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 crossfire weird vacuum route.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Jstnbrwn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 crossfire weird vacuum route.

I'm checking all of my vacuum lines in my 84 and I found some discrepancies between what I have and what over Crossfire engines have. My PCV vacuum line is routed to a port behind the rear TBI, while the port that it looks like it is supposed to go to is capped off.

The line in red is showing the route my PCV is taking.
http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/js...?state=replace

The red circle is showing where most other crossfire engines have their PCV routed to. Capped off in mine.
http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/js...tml?sort=3&o=0

Can anyone let me know the proper route and if it stays like this will it damage the engine? Thanks

Last edited by Jstnbrwn; 08-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:45 PM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yours is routed like mine. Except I eliminated the emissions, and used a single line PVC. I believe mine was pretty stock when I got it. h
Old 08-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Jstnbrwn
Advanced

Hmmm, I'm gonna take a guess that the vacuum lines are a little different between standard and automatic. And you ,hemivett, have a standard transmission.

Last edited by Jstnbrwn; 08-15-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:28 PM
hemivett
Pro

You are correct! 4+3, soon to be ZF. I just eliminated the charcoal lines, (PO removed canister, and capped ends) and there must have been some vacuum leaks, or a failing PVC, cause now she runs really smooth. h
Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Jstnbrwn
Advanced

I bet she does run really smooth. I don't suppose you have any pictures of the capped lines. I still have the air pump on mine, but the PO has the air injection check valve pipe being fed to the CCV on the passenger side valve cover.

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/js...4bb46.jpg.html
Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 PM
hemivett
Pro

Sorry no pics. All gone now!

That works, but mine is a different configuration. My hose goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner, and from the smog pump to the air cleaner. Now since I eliminated all the emissions, I took the smog pump off, and took apart what I could, and used a hammer, and screwdriver to bust the guts out of the rest. I then put it back on, and all it does is hold the belt. Works great, and no more pump flutter noise, or hp loss. h
Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Jstnbrwn
Advanced

Is the CCV on the passenger valve cover necessary or can I put a plug in it? Its already really loose on there.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM
hemivett
Pro

DO NOT PLUG IT! Its for crank case ventilation. If it doesnt fit snug, then replace the parts that are worn. You should have port, on the bottom portion of the air cleaner housing. Its under the scoop portion. Basically a straight shot from the valve cover to the air cleaner. You can put a breather cap on it, and plug the air cleaner nipple, so it doesnt suck hot air into the engine. h
Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Jstnbrwn
Advanced

I have seen those breather caps before on other engines. They work ok? What would I do about the line from the air pump? Just plug that or route down below the engine?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstnbrwn
if it stays like this will it damage the engine?
So long as the lines go to a vac source (the manifold ) it makes no difference to operation

Originally Posted by Jstnbrwn
What would I do about the line from the air pump? Just plug that or route down below the engine?
If you are not using the AIR pump you delete everything into / out of it and only have to cap the lines into the exhaust manifold.
The pump will continue to happily pump air to nowhere .
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM
hemivett
Pro

Ya a breather will work fine. The hose really doesnt need to do anything. You can cut if off, and plug it, and maybe it wont be so noisey, but I would gut the pump, like I told you. h

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trick-Flow-Valve-Cover-Breather-44021-/390629936976?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af35bcf50&vxp=mtr
Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Jstnbrwn
Advanced

Awesome thanks for all of your input. I will definitely get one of those breather caps for the passenger side. Thanks again for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 crossfire weird vacuum route.

Quick Reply: 84 crossfire weird vacuum route.