C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bad Hypertech chip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Lord Odin
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Hypertech chip?

I've had this chip for about a year now and decided to throw it in for kicks even though I have the same mods as before. I noticed that the car seems like it gets flooded when I give it the gas because it then surges back up. I confirmed this when I had my friend's dad drive it because he has an 89 vette. We tried throwing in the stock chip again and it just performs a helluva lot better. He just got a chip for his car and thinks mine be bad. How can I tell if it's a bad chip or not?

I wouldn't need a lot more done to the car in order for it to give me better performance, would I? I was thinking perhaps the chip was designed for a car with more mods and HP but I'm probably wrong on that.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:04 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Bad Hypertech chip? (Lord Odin)

IMO, there has never been a such thing as a good hypertech chip. THEY DO NOT give better performance than the stock chip, they just tell you that so youll buy it. The only way to get more hp out of a car is to modify it, not the computer.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:25 AM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Bad Hypertech chip? (vader86)

I would suggest having a custom chip burned after all your mods are complete. An off the shelf chip is for an off the shelf car. Good luck 84 CF 91 ZR-1 :seeya
Old 07-12-2002, 01:49 AM
Lord Odin
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bad Hypertech chip? (vettl83)

I thought it wouldn't add performance as well but everyone I've talked to said otherwise. The way I figured it, the car does the physical part of accelerating and computer handles the job of making that acceleration constant before losing traction as to minimize the 1/4 mile time. So if anything, I figured the chip would slow me down rather than speed me up.

I probably will get one custom made but where would I go about doing that?
Old 07-12-2002, 02:16 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Bad Hypertech chip? (Lord Odin)

No offense, but it sounds like everyone you talked to doesnt know jack about vettes, more like Fbody owners. Those guys seem to think Hypertech makes good products.

With your current mods, you really dont need one unless you just want it to make your fans come on sooner. So, you can wait until you install a hotcam or whatever, or try to get someone to do a custom burn for you. Ed Wright makes good ones, http://www.fastchip.com

Craig Marcho (Marcho Polo on the forum) made one for me to turn my fans on earlier.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Hypertech chip?

Quick Reply: Bad Hypertech chip?