C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 callaway corvette boost injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:56 PM
mr42toad
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 callaway corvette boost injectors

Can someone enlighten me as to the boost injectors used in the rams head? I know that they are bousch - but the ones in this car are melted beyond recognition. Id appreciate any technical information.

Callaway wont say - beyond offering to sell me a set for $528

Seems a bit steep for off the shelf injectors!

thank you
Old 02-05-2014, 05:31 PM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mr42toad
Can someone enlighten me as to the boost injectors used in the rams head? I know that they are bousch - but the ones in this car are melted beyond recognition. Id appreciate any technical information.

thank you

I believe they are low impedance inj rated at roughly 77-80psi. Use a multimeter to be sure.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

(2) 42 lb/hr injectors can supply enough fuel for about 170 hp. Considering the injectors that were available at the time, I'd guess they used Lucas 009 42# injectors.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 AM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
(2) 42 lb/hr injectors can supply enough fuel for about 170 hp. Considering the injectors that were available at the time, I'd guess they used Lucas 009 42# injectors.

This incorrect info. Lucus 42# injectors are not used.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedmaxPSI
This incorrect info. Lucus 42# injectors are not used.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mr42toad

thank you
$528 for a pair of injectors is highway robbery...

What, are they wound with platinum?

Ridiculous...

Even worse is them not telling you what they are...so you can shop around.

Great customer service...bend over and enjoy it! We're (pile) drivin'!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

We pride ourselves on being able to help our owners with spares or replacement parts for their cars. I cannot think of any other manufacturer which still supports products and answers the phone like Callaway. We're here to help, and if a part is now obsolete, often we will work to make a suitable replacement. This does come with a cost.

Keep in mind, manufacturers generally stop stocking parts, etc. for models after a 10 year life/product cycle. Here we are, in some cases, 27+ years later, and still supporting the vehicles with live conversation. I think that is highly commendable.

We are not a big box discount store, we are not an online auction house, and we don't sell things which might work - we deliver engineered products, and for the level of service we've delivered, make a fair profit.

That said, one might be able to shop around, find a suitable injector (in this case) on their own, but at what cost? I honestly don't know, as we are not trying to compete with an internet re-seller who works from their parent's basement, doesn't stock any inventory, and cannot assure you the parts will be 1st run materials, or even work.

That said, when I am back and next to my own B2K, I would be more than happy to look for an identifying mark or part number and share with whomever is interested. In the past, I have taken measurements for hoses and other lines from my personal Callaway Corvettes, when we have built these parts from scratch. Again, we are here to help
Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 PM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just like to explain a few things; I hope the OP can appreciate the situation.

There was a clerical error in our system that made its way to the Callaway Online Store. The price for the 1988-91 MicroFueler injectors should not have been prices at $254.32 each! The price is $196.00 each - the same price that it has been since August 2004, almost 10 years ago. We're embarrassed to have made this error.

I understand that the $196 price is still high compared to other fuel injectors. However, the MicroFueler injectors were specially manufactured for Callaway by Bosch. They were produced in relatively low volume with unique electrical and mechanical specifications for the specific application. Consequently, the production cost was much higher than it is for other injectors manufactured for high volume cars and trucks. The Bosch part number does not cross-reference to any existing injector part number.

The 1988-91 MicroFueler injector has been out-of-stock since inventory was exhausted in January 2009. We've considered talking to Bosch about making another production run, but we've not gone further since the cost of these injectors would be considerably higher than it was when Bosch produced the original parts in 1987. Our engineers have evaluated some other injectors, but none that were analyzed to date fit the application properly. We still plan to look further, but we don't have a firm date for when and if we'll have a replacement.

As Chris wrote, we still maintain a large inventory of replacement parts for the 1987 to 1991 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes. When stock gets low, we replenish where possible. Even considering how good GM is with supporting older vehicles, they don't keep parts in stock for 23 to 27 year old cars. We do our best, and we haven't given up, but the MicroFueler injector situation is one case that just doesn't have a simple solution.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM
nitrusmr2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this on Callaway Owners group:

The stockers in my '87 were Bosch 0 280 150 803, which are low-impedence 37# (same injector as used in the Porsche 944 turbo).
Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by nitrusmr2
Found this on Callaway Owners group:

The stockers in my '87 were Bosch 0 280 150 803, which are low-impedence 37# (same injector as used in the Porsche 944 turbo).
I think the 87s were different.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
$528 for a pair of injectors is highway robbery...

What, are they wound with platinum?

Ridiculous...

Even worse is them not telling you what they are...so you can shop around.

Great customer service...bend over and enjoy it! We're (pile) drivin'!
Have you ever priced LSx headers? Now go price them compared to a pair of standard 350 sbc headers...price is more than double. Why is that? B/c people will pay it if they want it?

How about cams? Go ask any of the C6 vendors for their proprietary cam specs and see if they give them to you. They won't.

You don't own a Callaway so I'm not sure why you're so upset about their prices. Considering that the injectors are now unavailable, Im wondering how many people would be happy to pay $500 for a set.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 02-06-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Have you ever priced LSx headers? Now go price them compared to a pair of standard 350 sbc headers...price is more than double. Why is that? B/c people will pay it if they want it?

How about cams? Go ask any of the C6 vendors for their proprietary cam specs and see if they give them to you. They won't.

You don't own a Callaway so I'm not sure why you're so upset about their prices. Considering that the injectors are now unavailable, Im wondering how many people would be happy to pay $500 for a set.
To be clear...the "original equipment" versions might be unavailable, but I find it highly unlikely that something newer can't be sourced.

There must be a few thousand different types of injectors on the market today, with varying flow rates and impedance values.

Callaway has a captive market, and they have the only supply. I get it...

But I spent a grand total of $225 for a set of EIGHT Bosch 3's last year...you can't tell me the Callaway versions are better than or are worth more than that. They charge what they charge because they can...but it doesn't mean that it's right. All he asked for was the specs...that shouldn't make them nervous.

EDIT:
I get that as ****-retentive engineers they were unhappy with stocks that were current when they built these cars, but coming at it from the electronics side I've seen plenty of cost overruns by sourcing a unique part when something already in mass production COULD have worked.

Would it have worked optimally? Of course not!

Could they have changed their design so it would have? Undeniably!

The B2K's were a limited production run...sourcing off the shelf parts should have been a priority. If someone would have only said "What about the owners 25+ years down the road? How would they get these custom parts if we are no longer in business?" and worked it from a product longevity standpoint and not an engineering exercise Callaway wouldn't be in this boat.

Last edited by 1991Z07; 02-08-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,182 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I also think it's weird that Chris posted above that a certain injector was NOT the one used...but then didn't offer any help. "Ill take the time to post and confirm what won't work, but I'm not going to help either". Good one.

This thread has morphed into a philosophical one now. What should a vendor do here? In my experience as a fleet manager, the vendors that help in these situations keep getting my business.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcv
I understand that the $196 price is still high compared to other fuel injectors. However, the MicroFueler injectors were specially manufactured for Callaway by Bosch. They were produced in relatively low volume with unique electrical and mechanical specifications for the specific application. Consequently, the production cost was much higher than it is for other injectors manufactured for high volume cars and trucks. The Bosch part number does not cross-reference to any existing injector part number.

The 1988-91 MicroFueler injector has been out-of-stock since inventory was exhausted in January 2009. We've considered talking to Bosch about making another production run, but we've not gone further since the cost of these injectors would be considerably higher than it was when Bosch produced the original parts in 1987. Our engineers have evaluated some other injectors, but none that were analyzed to date fit the application properly. We still plan to look further, but we don't have a firm date for when and if we'll have a replacement.

As Chris wrote, we still maintain a large inventory of replacement parts for the 1987 to 1991 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes. When stock gets low, we replenish where possible. Even considering how good GM is with supporting older vehicles, they don't keep parts in stock for 23 to 27 year old cars. We do our best, and we haven't given up, but the MicroFueler injector situation is one case that just doesn't have a simple solution.
To be fair though, Callaway is trying to help with a cost effective solution as stated above.

Last edited by GKK; 02-08-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

To be clear...the "original equipment" versions might be unavailable, but I find it highly unlikely that something newer can't be sourced.
Ive seen the effect of someone trying to retro fit an injector in there....it wasn't pretty as the new improved injector didn't fit right.

But I spent a grand total of $225 for a set of EIGHT Bosch 3's last year...you can't tell me the Callaway versions are better than or are worth more than that. They charge what they charge because they can...but it doesn't mean that it's right. All he asked for was the specs...that shouldn't make them nervous.
Thank you for further reinforcing the point I made about headers and cams.

EDIT:
I get that as ****-retentive engineers they were unhappy with stocks that were current when they built these cars, but coming at it from the electronics side I've seen plenty of cost overruns by sourcing a unique part when something already in mass production COULD have worked.

Could they have changed their design so it would have? Undeniably!

The B2K's were a limited production run...sourcing off the shelf parts should have been a priority. If someone would have only said "What about the owners 25+ years down the road? How would they get these custom parts if we are no longer in business?" and worked it from a product longevity standpoint and not an engineering exercise Callaway wouldn't be in this boat.
How do you even know what was on the market that would have worked back in the 80s?

To make the assertion that Callaway should have thought 25 years down the road is a joke. Why not ask multi billion dollar GM to do the same thing? They certainly don't.

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

This thread has morphed into a philosophical one now. What should a vendor do here? In my experience as a fleet manager, the vendors that help in these situations keep getting my business.
The vendor should be entitled to make a profit. What do you think the carrying cost is on a $100 fuel injector for 20+years. If you understand that, you'll start thinking that $200 is a smoking deal.

The vendor that continues to support their product is the one that gets my business. Which Callaway does. You might have to pay for it, but go call GM and ask for OEM replacement parts for your C4 and see if they oblige.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:18 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

I also think it's weird that Chris posted above that a certain injector was NOT the one used...but then didn't offer any help. "Ill take the time to post and confirm what won't work, but I'm not going to help either". Good one.

I beg your pardon, but what is it that you *think* I said Please go back and re-read my post, and you will see I am not only trying to be helpful and clarify, but also said this:

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris

That said, when I am back and next to my own B2K, I would be more than happy to look for an identifying mark or part number and share with whomever is interested. In the past, I have taken measurements for hoses and other lines from my personal Callaway Corvettes, when we have built these parts from scratch. Again, we are here to help
So you must not have read something right, as we are trying to help, just as I have disassembled my own car to take measurements or generate technical data to help our customers with their own cars. Again, just trying to help

However, I did discourage one from trying to hunt the wrong injectors, agreeing with another - the injectors were not Lucas 42 lb, and were also different than 1987 B2K Microfueler injectors...

Last edited by Callaway Chris; 02-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

EDIT:

Our business is not to rig something in an attempt to "work" We engineered the B2K package under strict parameters and in many cases, took off the shelf components and adapted them to work. As machinery, the B2K cars are work of art

Not "working optimally" is simply not an options. Please familiarize yourself with the Microfueler injectors and you will see they are unique - not just in flow and size, but also in the way they were retained into the Rams Horn housing. They are not Bosch III injectors, or even close.

But I did see once on a 1990 B2K where someone took a Rochester-Style injector which is retained in the manifold by the common fuel rail, held by pressure, o rings, and the bolts of the assembly. Since the Microfueler injectors use a different means of retention, the owner devised a "T" Brace and drilled into the Rams Horn - crude, and sorta worked, but the injectors were still improperly sized. The next owner fixed that situation with our assistance

Anyways, I hope you see the point, and the fact we are standing by to help where we can. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 callaway corvette boost injectors

Old 02-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,182 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Fair enough, good point, and I admit that I miss your offer to look at the P/N on your own car's injectors. My bad, and I do apologize.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Fair enough, good point, and I admit that I miss your offer to look at the P/N on your own car's injectors. My bad, and I do apologize.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

The injector in question is a Bosch 1ST/PC 0 280 150 351 rated at 71lb/hr (746.2 cc/min) @ 43.5 PSI

With some research you will find these injectors were used in Chrysler 2.2L, V8 5.2L and some Fords.

Hope this helps.

I would encourage you to use Callaway Cars as expressed already. Callaway Cars goes thru great lengths to keep parts stocked for our aging cars. It is only thru the continued purchase of these products that allow them to continue to do so.

FS

Quick Reply: 1988 callaway corvette boost injectors