C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!!

Well.... This was fun. Pulled my trans and replaced the front pump seal. Put everything back together and it seems to be leaking even worse now. I am guessing the pump gasket is bad.......

Here are the symptoms. Wont leak at idle.. only leaks when driven for a bit. It isnt a cooler line and it shouldnt be the front pump seal cuz I just did it. It is really leaking alot. I plugged the drain hole in my inspection cover and it looks like it is coming from in there somewhere. Anyone have any advise on anything else to look at/Check while I am pulling it apart. Is this common for this Gasket to go bad?????

Any input would be great as I am planning on working on it all week at night and finishing by the weekend. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2002, 10:22 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (Radio Joe)

I had a slight leak and replaced the front seal, then reinstalled. The tranny wouldn't leak unless I left it parked a few days...afterwards I ran into a website saying that more work needed to be done (pump?) if just the seal is replaced, sooner or later the cause of the leak will resurface...
Old 07-15-2002, 04:12 AM
merrick
Pro

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (Radio Joe)

Through the inspection hole, clean up all the oil with carb cleaner. Spray dye penetrant "developer" on suspect leak areas(industrial supplier should have in NAPA doesn't). This turns to a white powder and leaks will be easy too see.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:54 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (merrick)

When you replaced the seal, did you lub it with anything before sliding the Torque converter back in? Also, did you check for a groove in the Torque converter?
Old 07-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Radio Joe
Pro

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (Red 86 4+3)

The problem is that it doesnt leak unless you drive for a while and then the entire bottom of the car is covered.... I doubt the dye would help me pinpoint it then...

Yes I lubed the seal with transmission fluid and did check the TC fro a groove.... Everything seemed fine.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:00 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine use to do that. it was a pressure problem. i had the valve body drilled out & never had a leak since. good luck! :cheers:
Old 07-15-2002, 07:57 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (yoslambo1@cs.com)

I posted this in one of your other transmisson threads, but here it is again incase you didn't see it. You really need to trace the source first. I still have a leak after my rebuild, but I know where it is and it will have to wait until I'm really bored or next fluid change. Take the dust cover off and wipe everything down then look for source. I know my tranny is leaking from the pan gasket, but at first I was thinking pump. Mine was leaking at the very leading edge of the pan gasket and was being slung onto the pump by the TC. Okay sources for the leak:
Pan gasket
Front seal (pump seal that you replaced)
Front bushing
Pump seal (big o-ring that goes around the pump)
Pump bolts ( they either have o-rings or crush washers)

If it leaks running its likely a seal, leaks overnight its likely a bushing.
Good luck
Old 07-15-2002, 08:01 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

I wondering if there is too much oil pressure as well.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:50 AM
Radio Joe
Pro

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (Jay Axson)

I wondering if there is too much oil pressure as well.
A friend mentioned that too cuz I put in a shift kit, but this started befor e the shift kit. The problem with tracing it is that it coats the entire bottom of the car when it happens..... I have contemplated putting a camera under there to see when it starts....

If it was the pan gasket, wouldnt it leak while it was sitting too?? I replaced the gasket when I did the shift kit.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:08 AM
gpagaduan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (merrick)

What's the inspection hole and where is it? Just curious because my car's been sitting for a couple of weeks and I just noticed the transmission fluid leak. I found a little hole...thought it was caused by damage. Wondering if that's the inspection hole.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:38 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

If it was the pan gasket, wouldnt it leak while it was sitting too?? I replaced the gasket when I did the shift kit.
Maybe? because my leak is at the leading edge and I have a steep driveway it will not leak on my driveway, but will leak on my garage floor.

You really need to trace the source before you pull the tranny again. I went and jack my car up and placed it on 4 jackstands. I made sure the car was level and then I waited to see were the drips were forming. Good luck. Also are you using rubber or cork gasket for the pan?
Old 07-16-2002, 07:52 PM
2001 Z06
Advanced

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (Rick86)

What's the difference between cork and rubber gasket? To me, it seems cork gasket will tend to leak if overtighten. Is rubber gasket less likely to leak when overtighten?
Old 07-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (2001 Z06)

I had a problem with the cork gasket holding torque. I'd torque the bolts, then check a day or two later and they would all require retorquing. I used a rubber gasket and it seems to be holding the torque
Old 07-17-2002, 07:07 PM
2001 Z06
Advanced

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (Rick86)

I agreed, I will have to request for a rubber gasket next time.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:17 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (2001 Z06)

I got my rubber gasket from NAPA for less than $4.00
Old 07-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Hello again. Thanks for all the responses Everyone. just wanted to update you. From all that Rick86 said I decided to actually torque the pan bolts. I have taken the pan off of lots of transmissions in the past and always retightened the bolts by feel. Never had a problem. so I checked my Chiltons Manual and couldnt find the torque spec for the pan. So I checked the torque spec for the Overdrive pan on the 4+3 (6-8 lbs) so I torqued the pan bolts to 10 lbs. they tightened probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and then we drove it...HARD!!! all I saw when I got back was a few drops which might be from the past leaks... So I am gonna drive it alot around town for a few days and keep checking. I will be soo Happy if that was the problem, and so Happy if I dont have to pull the trans again. I will replace to a rubber gasket too. I'll keep you informed.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:16 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Okay... Well it is still leaking. Doesnt seem as bad soI am gonna try checking the torque on the pan again. What did everyone else torque theres to??? This is really annoying me. I cant see where it is coming from, but every now and then I se the Torque converter throw a drop of fluid onto the Exhaust. I would take it somewhere, but I am way broke and cant even afford for them to diagnose it. :cry

Get notified of new replies

To Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2002, 12:23 AM
Radio Joe
Pro

well....I checked it again and all the bolts required retorquing. drove a while, started leaking again...retorqued it again and the car hasnt left the garage now. I want to get one of the rubber Gaskets Rick86 mentioned but all the parts stores and the dealer say they dont carry them....Dealer says check parts stores, parts stores say check dealers......

anyone know where to get one?? there arent any NAPA's in my area(that I know of)...
I may try some thread locker just for fun :rolleyes:
Old 07-24-2002, 08:57 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

i got mine from ecklers. :cheers:
Old 07-24-2002, 01:11 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Default Re: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!! (yoslambo1@cs.com)

i got mine from ecklers. :cheers:
cool... I will give them a call!!!! Thanks! :cheers:

Quick Reply: Gotta pull the trans again #$%@$@%#^@$#^@#$@^%#$@#$^!!!!!!!!!!!