C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how to remove wires from firewall entrance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default how to remove wires from firewall entrance?

Im trying to remove my wiring harness and I've got the entire thing out of the firewall but it seems they are all glued together. Am I missing something? I've tried prying several different ways and no luck. I would like to keep it intact...
Old 03-23-2014, 06:48 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

good luck with that... cutting is the only solution I am aware of.

You can check the middle of the thing, tho. There might be a bolt in there that holds it together, check that first.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

How do people sell wiring harnesses then? Guess they carefully cut away the holder for the wires....
Old 03-23-2014, 08:36 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

What year is your car? I used solvent on mine to get the wires apart but they were still gooey when I was done.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
What year is your car?
the l98's thru 91 are a pita as the wiring harness is one piece going thru the firewall. the lt1's are different. there are two screws holding the bulkhead connector to the firewall, use a 7mm socket to remove. you can now pry the connector off the firewall. then go into the interior and pull the carpet back and you will see the wires coming from the bottom of the heater box and going into connectors. about a half dozen of them. disconnect the connectors, and mark them as two of them have the same connector. also one vacuum hose. now you can pull the wires out of the firewall. now you are saying ' what the hell have I gotten into?' just take one step at a time and mark everything for when it comes time to reassemble.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Im trying to remove my wiring harness and I've got the entire thing out of the firewall but it seems they are all glued together. Am I missing something? I've tried prying several different ways and no luck. I would like to keep it intact...
There is a bolt that secures the forward lamp harness and the engine harness to the C100 connector on the firewall. The bolt is in the forward lamp harness section under the hood. It's buried deep in the black stuff. That locks both of the under-hood harnesses to the larger square section that passes trough. Here is a "typical" C100 under-hood connector that you can "zoom" and see where the bolt is located in yours. This is typical of all GM under-hood C100 connectors. The bolt I believe you will find to be 1/4" a nut-driver does real well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370664819944

You need to "CUT NOTHING" Ignore the post #2

If you need snapshots I've got an '89 harness that's unbolted and boxed but I could get snapshots. You should not need after looking and zooming on the eBay link.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-23-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
the l98's thru 91 are a pita as the wiring harness is one piece going thru the firewall. the lt1's are different. there are two screws holding the bulkhead connector to the firewall, use a 7mm socket to remove. you can now pry the connector off the firewall. then go into the interior and pull the carpet back and you will see the wires coming from the bottom of the heater box and going into connectors. about a half dozen of them. disconnect the connectors, and mark them as two of them have the same connector. also one vacuum hose. now you can pull the wires out of the firewall. now you are saying ' what the hell have I gotten into?' just take one step at a time and mark everything for when it comes time to reassemble.
Yep........

even inside the dash on the cabin side there are a thousand little snap clips that help make it impossible.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Assuming you're talking about this guy:

You need to disconnect everything associated with that harness inside the cabin. Most of those wires go to the ECM, so it isn't too bad. You also need to pull the vacuum lines apart at this connector (the white one is for the heater water valve, so you probably don't have that one):

Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Mine is a '89, yea that is the sob pictured. I have all the wires from inside the car out of the car and the glob of wires is accessible. Getting it apart is what is getting me. Ill look for that bolt. That is the problem if that bolt is through mine. Thanks all. Ill try tonight and see if that works.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Mine is a '89, yea that is the sob pictured. I have all the wires from inside the car out of the car and the glob of wires is accessible. Getting it apart is what is getting me. Ill look for that bolt. That is the problem if that bolt is through mine. Thanks all. Ill try tonight and see if that works.

You are on the left/driver side and working with a connector that is 4" +/- square? If yes it's like what I sent you towards in the eBay link.

Post back and I'll try to put my hands on my harnesses and post a snapshot for you.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:24 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The bolt is in connector C100, which is behind the battery.

The bulkhead feedthrough is filled with some kind of gooey yellow sealer, about 1" thick. It's basically just a rectangular box with the top and bottom open.

In my case I had a fire in my engine compartment (fuel pressure regulator diaphragm ruptured) and the HVAC vacuum lines were melted. i had to dig out the yellow sealer to get to the stubs of the plastic vacuum lines to pull them out and put rubber hoses on then (you can see the rubber hoses in the picture). The only thing that seemed to help was when I sprayed WD-40 in there to hopefully lubricate the plastic vacuum lines and allow them to be pulled out. The WD-40 seemed to soften the yellow sealer. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that heat will soften the sealer, but I was afraid of melting the plastic vacuum lines so I didn't try that.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 AM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I will never understand why they did this crap !
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:29 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by project C4
I will never understand why they did this crap !
Yup, that is what mine looked like on the 91. The engine harness looped through it and back out. I didn't even need to go in there.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

There's no reason to separate the connector/conduit at the "pass-through" to the ECM and into the cockpit. In the car there's only a 2 port vacuum connector, the ECM connectors and three other connectors to unplug. That all pulls through to under the hood, remove the bolt in the C100 connector and you have the entire engine harness in your hand.

It's quite straight forward. Those are all wires that are sealed in that conduit for protection when passed through to the cockpit for assembly. There would be no reason to be into that conduit unless you have a problem in that conduit. The conduit can be separated into halves but I don't know why you would want to.

Why did you initially ask the question for starters?

In "projectc4" image it appears he's actually separated the conduit halves and as you can see there's no mating connectors in the conduit.

Here's one correctly separated:

Name:  Pass through.jpg
Views: 4020
Size:  51.0 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-25-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
There's no reason to separate the connector/conduit at the "pass-through" to the ECM and into the cockpit. In the car there's only a 2 port vacuum connector, the ECM connectors and three other connectors to unplug. That all pulls through to under the hood, remove the bolt in the C100 connector and you have the entire engine harness in your hand.

It's quite straight forward. Those are all wires that are sealed in that conduit for protection when passed through to the cockpit for assembly. There would be no reason to be into that conduit unless you have a problem in that conduit. The conduit can be separated into halves but I don't know why you would want to.

Why did you initially ask the question for starters?

In "projectc4" image it appears he's actually separated the conduit halves and as you can see there's no mating connectors in the conduit.

Get notified of new replies

To how to remove wires from firewall entrance?

Quick Reply: how to remove wires from firewall entrance?