C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ecm and prom

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 AM
butchegidi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecm and prom

looking to return my 88 to stock performance. I am going to replace the ecm. I was told when when I bought the car it had a performance chip in it. is this the prom? Should the prom be replaced also? anything else?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by butchegidi
looking to return my 88 to stock performance. I am going to replace the ecm. I was told when when I bought the car it had a performance chip in it. is this the prom? Should the prom be replaced also? anything else?
Yes - that is the PROM.

Unless you have a particular problem that has been "properly" diagnosed as an ECM problem there would be no reason to replace it.

The PROM if you were told was a performance chip then you would only be looking for the PROM or possibly just a write of the original information to the PROM that you have now provided it was done on a correct replacement product.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The ECM just does what it is told to do. If it is fully functional then there is no need to replace it.

The EPROM contains the programming that the ECM executes. THAT is the part to replace. If you can find a stock EPROM you will find that it is VERY expensive. That said, you can have a new EPROM programmed with the stock programming.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:38 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

PROM is slang for memcal, or Calibration module. PROM would be programmable read only memory, and the memcal is comprised of 3 chips for your car. There's plenty of people that can provide OEM programming for your vehicle. Like the others, there's no need to swap out the ECM unless it has be diagnosed as faulty.

Get notified of new replies

To ecm and prom

Quick Reply: ecm and prom