C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700r trans ... do I deserve this

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:21 AM
GT2Race
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r trans ... do I deserve this

Im completely done .. stick a fork in my dream
Im 64 and finally found a little red vette .. my first Vette ever

a very clean 84 C4 auto
I purchased it from the second owner and the speedo has 107 k miles ..

Just Freshened up the Cross-fire engine's upper end adding a few nice performance up grades ...

the previous owner provided me with a grip of receipts with one that showed the 700 trans had been upgraded and rebuilt 3 years ago ..

hence goes my nightmare on elm

Was enjoying the car every weekend for the last year of ownership

Parked it ... came out the next weekend and Bang ...

the trans instantaneously started short shifting from 1st gear to fourth in less than 50 ft or so ... holy mack jack

In low gear , it still shifts up

I have had the tv cable checked for adjustment ... all good there

trans fluid is recently changed along with filter .. good also

do I own the transmission from hell ...

advice is good ...

Lawrence
Attached Images   
Old 06-04-2014, 01:10 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Can you manually shift thru the gears?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 AM
GT2Race
Racer

Default yes and no sorta

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Take off in normal way with the car in drive and take off in a manor ...

the trans will solid shift ( no Slipping ) from first to 4th in 50 feet or before 23 miles an hour ....

this trans felt like a new quick and solid shifting unit

this trans felt solid sweet in every way with the shift points spread way further apart , it felt perfect every time ...
I particularly enjoy it chirping the rear tires if you layed a little in the throttle

As mentioned , the tv cable was checked immediately and they found no bind or broken pieces

Someone mentioned to check my Governor ... I will pop its cover off tomorrow and pull it and closely examine the unit
can anyone tell me what to look for

I had a trans shop ask that I pull that small 3 wire coupler off the side off the trans , run the car and report any difference's

with the thing unplugged ... all is the same as pretty much except that , now I can pull the trans from Hi gear down to low

I will get back with some answers asap

trying to save my dream
cheers

fronzy
Attached Images   
Old 06-04-2014, 04:04 AM
GT2Race
Racer

we may as well have a seat in the grand stands.... Im hoping the corvettes love me allow me to find something that can fix me with thiss 700r in the car ,,,, wish some special luck and golden advise to get this corrected without a hi cost ....I will never be able to afford a rebuild and labor..... this senseless SSI income so sucks ,,,,, oh well
Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you put the shifter down into 1st and it still shifts by itself its a fluid pressure issue. I had the same issue a few weeks ago in my 84. Ended up being a plugged filter, but there are other things that can cause low fluid pressure in a trans. The biggest and most expensive of those issues being the transmission front pump. If that needs to be replaced the trans needs to come out.

What you can do (this makes a huge mess) is disconnect the upper trans cooler line from the radiator, put a rubber hose on the end of it and point that hose into a bucket. Then have someone start the car for just 5 seconds or so. If fluid starts shooting out, the trans pump is at least pumping. If no fluid comes out, there is either a very large restriction somewhere or the trans pump is bad. Keep in mind that the trans filters in our cars are not held in by a bolt, they are held in by a press fit, so it is possible that if it wasn't inserted into the transmission all the way that it could fall out of the valve body or not seal and create an issue.

Last edited by Carbd84; 06-04-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Good post above. Also in the first post changing the trans filter is mentioned. Sometimes people forget and leave the old seal up there and install the new filter with another seal. And it could also be debris in the valve body, that causes odd shifting.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:06 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Governor. With a lift its a quick and easy job. Any mechanic dan do it in a few minutes. Pretty cheap part too.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:08 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GT2Race
Take off in normal way with the car in drive and take off in a manor ...

the trans will solid shift ( no Slipping ) from first to 4th in 50 feet or before 23 miles an hour ....
yeah you already said that.

Can you pull it down to 1st then take off.
Does it shift or stay in first?
Next move the shifter to second after 10 mph
Does it shift or stay in second?
Next move the shifter to third after 25 mph
Does it shift or stay in third?
Next move the shifter to fourth after 45 mph.
Does it shift or stay in fourth?
Can you feel the TQ lock up?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:48 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbd84
Keep in mind that the trans filters in our cars are not held in by a bolt, they are held in by a press fit, so it is possible that if it wasn't inserted into the transmission all the way that it could fall out of the valve body or not seal and create an issue.
It's not possible for the trans filter to fall out. It sits on the bottom of the pan.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Sometimes people forget and leave the old seal up there and install the new filter with another seal.
If the old seal is stuck inside the pump the new filter will not go all the way in and the pan will be really hard to bolt up. See above about the filter sitting on the bottom of the pan.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:55 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by GT2Race
I had a trans shop ask that I pull that small 3 wire coupler off the side off the trans , run the car and report any difference's

with the thing unplugged ... all is the same as pretty much except that , now I can pull the trans from Hi gear down to low
That connector has two functions. One is to engage the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch). The other is to tell the ECM when the trans is in OD. If the ECM sees speed over 40 MPH and the trans is NOT in OD it will turn on the UPSHIFT light. Unplugging it will not affect your problems.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:25 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

worse comes to worse, a tranny pull isn't that bad. Its worth it (to me) in order to keep your Vette. I am 64 (in Aug.) and pulled mine in the back yard.Cost me 800 bucks to have rebuilt WITH a new hi-po converter.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Governor. With a lift its a quick and easy job. Any mechanic dan do it in a few minutes. Pretty cheap part too.
I'll bet on the governor.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 PM
GT2Race
Racer

Default shifty

No , it has it's own mind .....
Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 PM
GT2Race
Racer

Default un-plugged

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
That connector has two functions. One is to engage the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch). The other is to tell the ECM when the trans is in OD. If the ECM sees speed over 40 MPH and the trans is NOT in OD it will turn on the UPSHIFT light. Unplugging it will not affect your problems.
Gotcha , can you tell me if the Governor could be the culprit ...
Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

What I found on my trans was that the governor was sticking. It has a valve that moves inside a sleeve with oil ports in it. The sharp edges on the valve were hanging up on the port openings. I sanded the valve with fine sandpaper and it was OK after that.

I have seen people say the governor cover just pops right off. Mine had some kind of sealer on it and it was like it was welded on. It took some pretty good smacks with a hammer and screwdriver to get it off.

Get notified of new replies

To 700r trans ... do I deserve this

Quick Reply: 700r trans ... do I deserve this