C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Poor brake performance--Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 PM
captainkawasaki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor brake performance--Fixed!

I installed stainless braided brake lines and bled the brakes. Still bad brakes. I replaced the master cylinder and pumped out all the old fluid, still bad brakes. I disabled the ABS, still bad brakes. I re-enabled the ABS, still bad brakes. I cycled the ABS in gravel, still bad brakes. I autocrossed in 55 degree weather on 8 year old Motorkraft worthless tires and couldn't stop hard enough to get the ABS to kick on or slip a tire.
I emailed Adam at Carbotech brakes, he recommended AX6 compound pads. I slapped them on the car and BLAMMO! Brakes baby! The difference is absolutely astounding. I've since put four fresh Nitto NT555's on the car and can put myself through the windshield at will with the brakes. I never thought the pad compound mattered that much, after all you are clamping with all that force. I now stand corrected and will tell anyone suffering from lousy brakes that Carbotech pads will get you stopped in a hurry. Thanks Adam!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Read your thread with great interest as I am not satisfied with my
brakes, even though all components are new.

Accessed the Carbotech site, specifically the AX6 info only to find
that Carbotech doesn't recommend AX6 for the street:

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 PM
captainkawasaki
Instructor

Correct, the AX6 is considered an Autocross pad. I explained that my car is a cruiser and an autocrosser that sees only about 1000 to 1500 miles a year and the AX6 pad was the recommended pad. If it was more of a daily driver I think Adam would have recommended a less dusty pad.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 PM
captainkawasaki
Instructor

I must also confess that I believe my rear pads were originals. They were worn down to a few 32nds and had PBR stamped on the back. I'm still amazed at the enormous difference the new pads make.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:10 PM
don hall
Safety Car

From what I have read, if you want to stop quickly, be prepared to clean the dust from the wheels. There was a Corvette factory guy who posted often on CF about the braking difference using 'dirty' pads vs.ceramic. He was totally in favor of the dusty pads.

I would be interested in learning how much dust you are seeing
after a few weeks of braking.

These are my wheels, and at 82, I really don't need more car care:

Old 06-20-2014, 12:24 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Nice!
Spend the money correctly, and you learn some valuable lessons.
Remember to mark those new tires with the valve stem location.
Then watch as the tire rotates on the wheel.
The fronts will clock from hard braking and the rears from acceleration.
This helps when trying to diagnose tire balance issues later on....

Old 06-20-2014, 08:09 AM
vert vette virgin
Instructor

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Nice!
Spend the money correctly, and you learn some valuable lessons.
Remember to mark those new tires with the valve stem location.
Then watch as the tire rotates on the wheel.
The fronts will clock from hard braking and the rears from acceleration.
This helps when trying to diagnose tire balance issues later on....

God I love this site!! I never would of imagined that the tires would rotate on the rims. Thnx!!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Want your C4 to stop, install C5 Z06 brakes and rotors, and your fade will also go away
Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by captainkawasaki
I installed stainless braided brake lines and bled the brakes. Still bad brakes. I replaced the master cylinder and pumped out all the old fluid, still bad brakes. I disabled the ABS, still bad brakes. I re-enabled the ABS, still bad brakes. I cycled the ABS in gravel, still bad brakes. I autocrossed in 55 degree weather on 8 year old Motorkraft worthless tires and couldn't stop hard enough to get the ABS to kick on or slip a tire.
I emailed Adam at Carbotech brakes, he recommended AX6 compound pads. I slapped them on the car and BLAMMO! Brakes baby! The difference is absolutely astounding. I've since put four fresh Nitto NT555's on the car and can put myself through the windshield at will with the brakes. I never thought the pad compound mattered that much, after all you are clamping with all that force. I now stand corrected and will tell anyone suffering from lousy brakes that Carbotech pads will get you stopped in a hurry. Thanks Adam!
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by seabright
Read your thread with great interest as I am not satisfied with my
brakes, even though all components are new.

Accessed the Carbotech site, specifically the AX6 info only to find
that Carbotech doesn't recommend AX6 for the street:

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

You should look at the 1521 for just street use. The AX6 is going to be dusty and make some noise. If interested give me a call 216-780-8825.

Carbotech™ 1521™

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:18 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
You should look at the 1521 for just street use. The AX6 is going to be dusty and make some noise. If interested give me a call 216-780-8825....
Thanks for the reply, Adam....... I have Raybestos pads on the front,
and ACDeclco on the rear. I can stop, but not as quickly as desired.
My '04 Expedition stops quicker than the '92 vette.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:44 PM
massiveB
Advanced

most people think bead sealer only helps seal leaks, it also works well to prevent tire/rim slippage.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM
captainkawasaki
Instructor

Update on the Carbotechs: they are squeaky and dirty and golldang do they stop like a mother.
Running an auto-x next weekend and am seriously looking forward using to the car's newfound stopping ability.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:14 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by captainkawasaki
Update on the Carbotechs: they are squeaky and dirty and golldang do they stop like a mother.
Running an auto-x next weekend and am seriously looking forward using to the car's newfound stopping ability.
Thanks, captainK..... just what I was waiting for. I'm sure you read
Adam's post above regarding the 1521 pads. Don't need the dust, but sure glad you have solved your stopping problem. Good luck with the auto-x.

Get notified of new replies

To Poor brake performance--Fixed!

Quick Reply: Poor brake performance--Fixed!