C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shock Question(s) - victim of over researching I think

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 PM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Shock Question(s) - victim of over researching I think

I'm in the market for new shocks for our '84. I just lowered the car if that makes a difference. I'm concerned about an increase to ride height and all of the shocks that I find for this application are gas charged. Most of the research that I've done says that these will increase ride height slightly. Of course there are some who disagree, but most report this to be the case.

I've been considering the KYB gas charged shocks - they seem a good blend of value and performance. If money were no object I'd look at the Bilsteins, but this is a street car and I'm not sure that the return on investment is a good one.

Can anyone recommend a quality shock for a street car that won't increase ride height, at least not considerably?

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Shocks do not increase ride height, they dampin wheel movement. A gas shock adds a small amount lifting force to the car but it probably adds less then .1 inches to the ride height.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Shocks do not increase ride height, they dampin wheel movement. A gas shock adds a small amount lifting force to the car but it probably adds less then .1 inches to the ride height.
Very true.......and KYB shocks are just fine for your intended application.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryOlson
I'm in the market for new shocks for our '84. I just lowered the car if that makes a difference. I'm concerned about an increase to ride height and all of the shocks that I find for this application are gas charged. Most of the research that I've done says that these will increase ride height slightly. Of course there are some who disagree, but most report this to be the case.

I've been considering the KYB gas charged shocks - they seem a good blend of value and performance. If money were no object I'd look at the Bilsteins, but this is a street car and I'm not sure that the return on investment is a good one.

Can anyone recommend a quality shock for a street car that won't increase ride height, at least not considerably?

Thanks.
I went with KYB on my 93 and im very happy with the ride. I dont see any change in the height, but big change in road feel.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by davewhtt
I went with KYB on my 93 and im very happy with the ride. I dont see any change in the height, but big change in road feel.
There are some on here that don't like KYBs, but I have had both KYBs and Bilsteins on my 89, and I like the ride of the KYBs better.....Like mentioned above, these are fine for your intended application..If you wanted to autocross or roadrace, then that's a different story......WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-25-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:12 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

While were here I want to put two new shocks on the front of my 84.

Heres the thing, I havent ever done this before myself and havent even jacked up my car by myself. I have one scissors jack, one floor jack el cheapo variety, and two decent jackstands.

Is there a complete writeup/guide somewhere I could be directed to? One for complete idiots preferred
Old 06-25-2014, 03:12 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Heres the thing, I havent ever done this before myself and havent even jacked up my car by myself. I have one scissors jack, one floor jack el cheapo variety, and two decent jackstands.

Is there a complete writeup/guide somewhere I could be directed to? One for complete idiots preferred
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Thanks for the advice -I'll order the KYBs and go from there.

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960

I found a few threads on this site and others in a Google search - some are more helpful than others so give that a go and I'm sure you find one that works for you.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Ordered from Summit - they're always super helpful and you can't beat their prices.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:25 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Youtube is your friend. Videos on how to jack up your C4 and how to install shocks.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryOlson

Thanks.
Check out the thread I started the other day. Very good information on shocks for the C4. I believe I am going to go with 4 Bilstein Z51 shocks, they will fit and work on the base model. Check out the specs in the thread. -Ozz

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-c4-vette.html
Old 06-26-2014, 01:02 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

You don't have to even jack up the car to change the front shocks.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Shocks do not increase ride height, they dampin wheel movement.
Your correct, however....they dampen spring oscillation.
Too many KYB users have reported here about KYB's raising the ride height.

Dollar for dollar, the Bilsteins are the proper replacement shock for a C4
All others pretend to be.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll put my QA1 double adjustable shocks up against the Bilsteins in any category, any day...I can set them up for any track I want to go to or set them up to cruise the local burger joint. The best of both worlds is only a minute away and about 15 clicks; the downside is the cost. Doesn't sound like the OP is looking to spend that kind of money but I do not agree that the Bilstein is the shock everyone should put on their Vette. Just my .02
Old 06-28-2014, 03:19 PM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Got the KYBs installed this morning and the ride improvement is remarkable. After a lap around the block I could see that the car sat most of an inch higher but after a 10 mile trip I can see that it's settled some. It's not where it was before I replaced the shocks, but it isn't so high that I'm unhappy about it. Had I not just lowered the car, that would be a different story, but it looks just about right now.

When we bought the car it rattled and clanked over every bump. I'd heard the criticism of the '84 model with an overly harsh ride and I'd thought this is what they meant by that. When I had the front end apart I realized that the shocks were dead and both fronts had spit the lower rubber bushings out. I also found that one of the front sway bar mounts was loose and rattling. All has been corrected and I can say that the ride isn't anything like our Audi, but it isn't supposed to be. There's a fair amount of "road feel" through the steering wheel and chassis but this is what I would expect from a performance car.

I appreciated the advice from all - no issues with the Bilstein and QA1 opinions, but as was said, this is a driver and I don't "need" anything more than the fresh KYBs provide.

Next on the to-do list is lowering springs on the Audi - and maybe spacers to get the wheel to wheel well fit just right.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Deakins
I'll put my QA1 double adjustable shocks up against the Bilsteins in any category, any day...but I do not agree that the Bilstein is the shock everyone should put on their Vette. Just my .02
My experience with QA1's was short lived since the 86 was lowered 1.5 inches. The rears would bottom out moving the circlip up and out of its groove by a full inch. At the time investigation proved there was no short stroke parts that we could retrofit.

Unless you've run KYB's in your C4, its easy to say that about Bilsteins. Although the KYB price seems right and ride quality might feels soft, but the highway handling suffers. And thus cannot be understood by most.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Question(s) - victim of over researching I think

Quick Reply: Shock Question(s) - victim of over researching I think