C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

seal restorer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Default seal restorer

I bought a 92 this spring. It had 50k on it but had been sitting in a garage for 3 years. I noticed that my water pump drive shaft seal is leaking. Its coating the front of the motor down to the opti and dripping on the garage floor. Not enough that you noticed the oil level going down but enough to make me worry about the opti. I want to do a new opti, water pump and seals but its going to be next spring when i take it back out as the money isnt there right now. Anyone try seal restore you add to the oil. Even if it would help till next spring.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
I bought a 92 this spring. It had 50k on it but had been sitting in a garage for 3 years. I noticed that my water pump drive shaft seal is leaking. Its coating the front of the motor down to the opti and dripping on the garage floor. Not enough that you noticed the oil level going down but enough to make me worry about the opti. I want to do a new opti, water pump and seals but its going to be next spring when i take it back out as the money isnt there right now. Anyone try seal restore you add to the oil. Even if it would help till next spring.
don't think there are any quick fixes....hopefully, i'll be a yooper again in the spring...i'll give you a hand...
Old 07-25-2014, 11:52 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

When I did mine, the pump drives were leaking at both ends, water on one end and oil on the other. A real mess in there! I went to the trouble of pulling the front cover off and removing the water pump drive gears and sealing up the hole in the front cover with a Kennedy half dollar and some JB Weld. (I've increased the value of the car by $.50 ) I then gutted the stock waterpump housing and installed an electric water pump. Best thing I ever did for the Vette! Pump flows the same if I'm cruising down the highway or sitting at a light. No overheating problems and no more oil or water leaks to foul the new Opti either.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:58 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
When I did mine, the pump drives were leaking at both ends, water on one end and oil on the other. A real mess in there! I went to the trouble of pulling the front cover off and removing the water pump drive gears and sealing up the hole in the front cover with a Kennedy half dollar and some JB Weld. (I've increased the value of the car by $.50 ) I then gutted the stock waterpump housing and installed an electric water pump. Best thing I ever did for the Vette! Pump flows the same if I'm cruising down the highway or sitting at a light. No overheating problems and no more oil or water leaks to foul the new Opti either.
did you find a kit ready made for the car or was this rigged to fit in the existing space? what was the cost to go electric?

Get notified of new replies

To seal restorer

Quick Reply: seal restorer