C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Squeaky U joint?

Old 07-27-2002, 01:22 PM
RonsRed88
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Squeaky U joint?

A squeak I have coming from my left rear tire has finally driven me nuts. Last weekend I replaced the brake pads thinking that would fix the problem, but it obviously didn't. Today I put the entire back end on jackstands, put the car in neutral, and rotated the wheel by hand with my head jammed under the car. I think I've finally narrowed it down to the U joint that goes into the back of the wheel. (sorry I don't know any technical terms, I just tend to wing it) Anyway, can U joints squeak? If so, is there something safe for me to spray in there to get it to stop. Or, do I need to replace the bad boy?

All info is greatly appreciated,
Ron
Old 07-27-2002, 05:24 PM
M2001
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Squeaky U joint? (RonsRed88)

If a U-joint is squeaking, replace it. I wouldn't use any other brand other than Spicer. Stay away from after market brands when it comes to replacing the U-joints. You should probably replace both joints whether the problem is on the drive or half shaft.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:39 PM
boxerdog
Instructor

Default Re: Squeaky U joint? (RonsRed88)

Yes indeed, they can squeek. Usually because they are dry, no grease. A bearing will squeek as you turn the wheel. Most times a U-joint will squeek, squeek, squeek as you turn the wheel. hope that made sense.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:00 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Squeaky U joint? (boxerdog)

You may as well do both sides and the driveshaft U joints while you are there. That way you are covered. Not hard to do....just a bit time consuming.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:11 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Squeaky U joint? (LPDesRoche)

The halfshaft joints take a lot more abuse than the drive shaft joints. The Spicer part number for the halfshaft joints is 5-447X. I still don't have the drive shaft numbers yet, but I'll be rounding them up this week. :cheers:
Old 07-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Squeaky U joint? (Ramrod92)

Yes, replace the ujoints and do it two at a time. That is , both of them on the same half shaft. The right rear half shaft takes the most stress and usually goes first.If you have problems removing the ujoint from the shaft, take it to a shop that has a press. They can do it easily without damaging the yokes. And if you do it yourself at home, make sure to releive the stress and lock the retaining rings by tapping inward on the center of the ujoint on both sides.

:cheers:
Old 07-28-2002, 01:05 PM
RonsRed88
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Squeaky U joint? (Sharky Guam)

Thanks everybody, It looks like I know what my next project is! Since I'm a novice I'll have to plan it over a 3 day weekend or take a few days off from work.

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaky U joint?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaky U joint?