C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing ASR / AIR pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:45 PM
TERRY LEE
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Removing ASR / AIR pump

Has anyone removed either or both of these items? If so did it cause any problems with setting codes, drivability concerns, etc? Mine is a 1992 LT1 M6 Z07 w/AC. Thanks...
Old 11-10-2014, 08:07 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

remove the ASR? I don't think that is possible without having to redo the whole electrical/computer system of the car. You do realise the ASR is your traction control, and everything else it is tied into don't you?

http://papers.sae.org/920642/
Old 11-10-2014, 06:06 PM
TERRY LEE
Intermediate

Hi,

Thanks - I'm aware of the ASR being part of the traction control... I autocross and run lap days and have no need for either. You can't make use of them on course, and the car is never driven that way to need them on the street...

My thoughts initially were to run a new throttle cable, thus bypassing the ASR physically. I don't care if I set a light, but I don't want it to retard the engine, etc because it is missing.

Removing the ASR (and the AIR pump) would save some weight, would clean up the compartment and give me better access to the plugs, etc.

That's all...! I appreciate the response.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:21 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TERRY LEE
Hi,

Thanks - I'm aware of the ASR being part of the traction control... I autocross and run lap days and have no need for either. You can't make use of them on course, and the car is never driven that way to need them on the street...

My thoughts initially were to run a new throttle cable, thus bypassing the ASR physically. I don't care if I set a light, but I don't want it to retard the engine, etc because it is missing.

Removing the ASR (and the AIR pump) would save some weight, would clean up the compartment and give me better access to the plugs, etc.

That's all...! I appreciate the response.
absolutely!!! I removed my broken ASR from my 1st 94
Made a lokar throttle cable. I tune. I eliminated the traction control in the ECM switch table. True Amazing throttle response!! NO awful recoil from the ASR.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:06 PM
TERRY LEE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
absolutely!!! I removed my broken ASR from my 1st 94
Made a lokar throttle cable. I tune. I eliminated the traction control in the ECM switch table. True Amazing throttle response!! NO awful recoil from the ASR.
Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM.

Anyone else have experience with removing the ASR, or removing the air pump?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:43 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

Sure it can be done. I had the same concerns when I converted to a 9" solid axle in my 92 (6 speed).

As other Forum members explained to me-By just removing the ABS Wheel sensor-It disables the ABS/ASR. It will throw a light but will not retard the timing.

In my case when converted to the solid axle the ABS sensors were removed. I still have the ASR Box-But will be removing it and replacing with a cable.

I have been using the car like this since May 2014 with no problems (I did remove the warning lights)

In regard to the air pump-That is also removed. However, PMCFORLESS disabled it via the tune.

Regards,
Steve

Last edited by STEVEN13; 11-15-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:01 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this would be EGR, and not AIR system. However there is an oil drain plug from NAPA for an early 1900s car that works nicely to plug the exhaust manifolds. I don't have the part number right now.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The AIR pump is electric so I don't think there would be any gain from removing it outside of a small weight savings.

As far as the ASR, just hit the button on the dash to turn it off. That's sort of a PITA considering the default is ON and is controlled by ignition switch cycles. I recall reading that the ASR default can be changed to OFF but it has to be done thru changing a setting in the ECM and that can be done if you would want a tune to upload. You might want to try searching for something like "ASR" and see what pops up.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:19 PM
racewright
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TERRY LEE
Has anyone removed either or both of these items? If so did it cause any problems with setting codes, drivability concerns, etc? Mine is a 1992 LT1 M6 Z07 w/AC. Thanks...
I have a 93 6spd, I removed my ASR, AIR pump, and EGR. I now have Melrose long tubes and no cats. Car runs fine, check engine light is not plugged in but my monitor still says "no-codes". I replaced the throttle cable with a NOS third gen camaro/firebird throttle cable. I had a hard time finding one but I remember somewhere on CF someone had a part #. It is a pain to install (getting under the dash to remove the old cable) but it really cleans up the engine bay and the throttle pushes easier too. Good luck,
Ron
Old 02-10-2015, 08:01 PM
dvidal18
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Terry Lee any updates??? Did you do it? They tie the Air pump in with the EGR plumbing did you remove just the air pump or EGR too? BTW have you thought about eliminating the ABS too? Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm interested in doing the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing ASR / AIR pump

Quick Reply: Removing ASR / AIR pump