C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Aluminum Radiators: Be Cool vs Champion vs DeWitts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:06 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Aluminum Radiators: Be Cool vs Champion vs DeWitts

Good Afternoon To All, I'm looking at getting an aftermarket radiator for my '96 LT4. Has anyone out there had experience with either the Be Cool, Champion, or DeWitts radiators for C4's? Any recommendations? I believe all are available as a 2-row, and Champion also has a 3-row available. Any opinions as to why I should go with one and not the others would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a quality piece that will help bring the normally high operating temperatures of the LT1/4 down to more reasonable levels, and for something that will hopefully stand the test of time.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:20 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

DeWitts. No questions asked. Excellent product.

Oh, and don't get too carried away with temps... modern engines do run hotter and it is not a problem. It's because of all the divergent metals and emissions, that they have found the op temp sweet spot so that the metals all fit right and the emissions are not negatively affected.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:51 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by bogus

Oh, and don't get too carried away with temps... modern engines do run hotter and it is not a problem. It's because of all the divergent metals and emissions, that they have found the op temp sweet spot so that the metals all fit right and the emissions are not negatively affected.
Thanks for the feedback I was figuring if I could keep the temps around 200 - 210 it should be good.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:54 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Have yet to see evidence that a stock unit won't cover the needs of a stock engine. So, any of the 3 should suffice. I thought it was interesting that Dewitts actually blew up a Champion radiator for fun. Sounded like a bit of frustration over the lower-priced (and probably lower-quality) competition. I would have thought a better approach would have been to offer a swap to DeWitts for an existing (dissatisfied?) Champion owner. Would have been more impressive than blowing up a radiator for fun -- especially if a radiator swap (from Champion to DeWitts) cured someone's complaint.

Don't you think?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

DeWitts.

Main change I noticed was that temps came back down very quickly once the car started moving from a light.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Have yet to see evidence that a stock unit won't cover the needs of a stock engine. So, any of the 3 should suffice. I thought it was interesting that Dewitts actually blew up a Champion radiator for fun. Sounded like a bit of frustration over the lower-priced (and probably lower-quality) competition.

I would have thought a better approach would have been to offer a swap to DeWitts for an existing (dissatisfied?) Champion owner. Would have been more impressive than blowing up a radiator for fun -- especially if a radiator swap (from Champion to DeWitts) cured someone's complaint.

Don't you think?
Could you clarify how he blew it up for fun?

Until the next guy with a bad champion comes along. I would expect anyone to replace my radiator because of my choice. I would have loved it if AFR came in and offered me their heads to replace the junk TFS that I got but that is kinda far out there.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I just ordered a Champion 3 row so I hope they are decent.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:45 PM
alucius10
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using a Champion radiator for nearly 4 years in my 96 coupe with no problems. In the summer at freeway speeds generally runs 192-196 and in the 204-209 range when stopped which seems pretty decent for North Texas summers. Keeping any radiator clean is the most important thing
Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pologreen1
I just ordered a Champion 3 row so I hope they are decent.
Look at the FAQ:

Where are these made?
While our radiators are manufactured in China, hence the low price point, they are designed in the U.S. If an American made radiator is preferred instead, please call us for availability. There will be a price difference to accommodate the American labor being put into it. A standard 2-row is $169.98, and an American made 2-row with 1" tubes is $279.98
For your sake, I hope so too. The Chinese can make some pretty good products. Folks bought a wooden dining set when I was a kid and it was good and still is in service. Unfortunately, when the US side gets our products over there, it is to cut costs which the Chinese will oblige since that is what the customer (US company) asks for. You want, you got. I have hardly seen good US company products that have been sent to China for cost cutting come here.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

I think anyone of those will work just fine!

Question is? for how long.

This is why I decided to go with a known Quality Radiator, and be done with it.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
Seems like there is a radiator thread going on in multiple forums right now and it's always why Dewitt's as opposed to the other choises. Quality and "direct fit" are always the debate. Dewitt's has both. You can spend less but you do get what you're paying for.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by desertmike1
I think anyone of those will work just fine!

Question is? for how long.

This is why I decided to go with a known Quality Radiator, and be done with it.
I know I did the DeWitts an it went in with no hassles. A modification that I know about already for the shroud. OTOH, the part I don't like is the sudden discover that has me scrambling to the parts store at 8.55 when it closes at 9.00
Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always get a kick out of high water temp because of the wrong radiator threads. My temp hit 178 last year. Yes below the thermostat. And it's because of a new AC Delco stock radiator installed after the original cracked on the plastic side. '96. Cruise is 185-190 year round.

The fans are programmed to on at 206. NEVER above in years, and it cost $109. The idea that the late C4 radiator is inadequate is incorrect.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:15 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a direct fit fluidyne and a 3 row champion radiator. The only advantage of all the direct fit units is ease of installation.

The champion unit is top quality and if not being a direct fit, would be hands down the best radiator for the C4.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:56 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by pushrod-v8
I have a direct fit fluidyne and a 3 row champion radiator. The only advantage of all the direct fit units is ease of installation.

The champion unit is top quality and if not being a direct fit, would be hands down the best radiator for the C4.
Good to hear. I am not up to paying for the prices of some of the others. There are ways to cut corners in everything. Someone doing wood work cuts corners and it costs something somewhere else. Someone welding up metal pieces in the same fashion as a another and maybe getting the metal from the same places is just not something I want to pay for. In other words name brand. If these places are so much better I would pay when they tell me lifetime warranty and no questions replaced. Otherwise, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Mine might not work, but I am ordering the wrong one anyways so it will need mods to fit the car. Fit is not the concern, price and leaks is. Champion seems to have a shot at satisfying both needs.

A radiator is a radiator. Engine building, paint job or furniture work is not always equal and there cost cutting is noticed.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:00 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I run a BeCool because I got a great deal on a new one. I've installed a few Dewitts in other cars and they fit great. One is cooling a 650hp road race car with their fan upgrade in an 86. If I ever need one again for my 96 it will get a Dewitts.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:32 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pushrod-v8

A very big advantage, IMO. What is your time worth? If cobbled together and a mistake is made, it could be a disaster.

I'm having a hard time accepting "Made in China" and Quality" in the same sentence.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum Radiators: Be Cool vs Champion vs DeWitts

Old 01-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Corvette40
Racer

I installed a Dewitt's in my 88 about 6 years ago and really talked them up on the forum. Then a little over a year later it started leaking. It appeared the drivers side upper left solder was inadequate and it was leaking around the tubes. I tried epoxy, then cut off a portion of the side tank and epoxied it from the inside, which blocked two or three tubes. It started leaking again. I went back to stock then last year installed a Champion three row and it appears to cool just as well as the Dewitt's. I had no problems with fittment and it looks good.
I hold no ill will toward Dewitt's, they make an excellent radiator. I may have just got a lemon, but I didn't want to take another chance with them.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Corvette40
I installed a Dewitt's in my 88 about 6 years ago and really talked them up on the forum. Then a little over a year later it started leaking. It appeared the drivers side upper left solder was inadequate and it was leaking around the tubes. I tried epoxy, then cut off a portion of the side tank and epoxied it from the inside, which blocked two or three tubes. It started leaking again. I went back to stock then last year installed a Champion three row and it appears to cool just as well as the Dewitt's. I had no problems with fittment and it looks good.
I hold no ill will toward Dewitt's, they make an excellent radiator. I may have just got a lemon, but I didn't want to take another chance with them.
I don't follow. Did you call them to fix it for you? If you bought it, there is a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 AM
aklim
Team Owner

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/warranty

Quick Reply: Aluminum Radiators: Be Cool vs Champion vs DeWitts