Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LED headlights + Foglight solution

 
Old 10-18-2015, 07:53 PM
  #61  
PLRX
Semper Fidelis 1988-2011
 
PLRX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Riverside County Southern California
Posts: 34,010
Thanked 391 Times in 270 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

Thanks for this write up. Im having the exact same problem, and will fix it this week.
PLRX is offline  
Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 AM
  #62  
billy mild
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Posts: 689
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

billy mild is offline  
Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 PM
  #63  
Circuit Doctor
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 53
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by billy mild View Post
It may, but I cannot guarantee that it will. See post #50 for my explanation why it might not. My solution is much cheaper and is guaranteed to work for 1990-up, although I cannot deny the allure of a plug and play solution.
Circuit Doctor is offline  
Old 12-01-2015, 10:21 PM
  #64  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 9,876
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by billy mild View Post
Methinks this is messed up thAt you have to 'throw away' the power savings (alternator load) in order to get led headlights to work....

Makes me wanna stick with my halogens (daniel stern setup in e spec housings)
dizwiz24 is offline  
Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 PM
  #65  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Methinks this is messed up thAt you have to 'throw away' the power savings (alternator load) in order to get led headlights to work....

Makes me wanna stick with my halogens (daniel stern setup in e spec housings)
I went with D.S. too and mine need this. what bulb did you go with? and did you use the relays?
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 PM
  #66  
gdl2165
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 366
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Methinks this is messed up thAt you have to 'throw away' the power savings (alternator load) in order to get led headlights to work....

Makes me wanna stick with my halogens (daniel stern setup in e spec housings)
This is not the case at all if you use Circuit Doctor's fix. I don't know what the current draw is on that tiny bulb but it can't be very much at all.
gdl2165 is offline  
Old 12-02-2015, 03:50 PM
  #67  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 9,876
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gdl2165 View Post
This is not the case at all if you use Circuit Doctor's fix. I don't know what the current draw is on that tiny bulb but it can't be very much at all.
Thats not how i read it.

50 watt load simulating resistors for both headlight bulbs.

So i imagine it wastes 100 watts, by turning the energy into heat, to make the stock electrical system think there are bulbs there.

Need a better solution before im on board.

I thought one of the whole 'points' of LEDs was the reduced power draw (and alternator load).

Last edited by dizwiz24; 12-02-2015 at 03:52 PM.
dizwiz24 is offline  
Old 12-02-2015, 09:41 PM
  #68  
Circuit Doctor
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 53
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Thats not how i read it.

50 watt load simulating resistors for both headlight bulbs.

So i imagine it wastes 100 watts, by turning the energy into heat, to make the stock electrical system think there are bulbs there.

Need a better solution before im on board.

I thought one of the whole 'points' of LEDs was the reduced power draw (and alternator load).
I think you may have misunderstood what my suggested mod does. What my mod does is draw a few millamperes extra current and a milliwatt or two extra beyond the LED consumption by using a 168 bulb to ground the foglight relay's coil and allow the headlights to work the way GM originally had designed.

I also do, however share your concern about throwing away heat and watts with resistors which may or may not work. See post #42 where I elaborated on this in great detail.
Circuit Doctor is offline  
Old 12-02-2015, 10:40 PM
  #69  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 9,876
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Circuit Doctor View Post
I think you may have misunderstood what my suggested mod does. What my mod does is draw a few millamperes extra current and a milliwatt or two extra beyond the LED consumption by using a 168 bulb to ground the foglight relay's coil and allow the headlights to work the way GM originally had designed.

I also do, however share your concern about throwing away heat and watts with resistors which may or may not work. See post #42 where I elaborated on this in great detail.

Ahhh. I stand corrected, i thought the 50 watt resistors from 'superbright led's ' was what you were proposing....

Ive had to do this a lot lately here it seems, but i shall bow out (but still follow) of this discussion 'tail between the legs'...
dizwiz24 is offline  
Old 12-02-2015, 10:44 PM
  #70  
billy mild
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Posts: 689
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Ahhh. I stand corrected, i thought the 50 watt resistors from 'superbright led's ' was what you were proposing....

Ive had to do this a lot lately here it seems, but i shall bow out (but still follow) of this discussion 'tail between the legs'...
There was another solution to ground the foglights directly. Not sure how that turned out.
billy mild is offline  
Old 12-02-2015, 11:06 PM
  #71  
gdl2165
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 366
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by billy mild View Post
There was another solution to ground the foglights directly. Not sure how that turned out.
That would be me, thought I'd posted my results. It didn't work. The only thing I found that did work was Circuit Doctor's fix, relatively easy and works like a charm.
gdl2165 is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 PM
  #72  
Circuit Doctor
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 53
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Ahhh. I stand corrected, i thought the 50 watt resistors from 'superbright led's ' was what you were proposing....

Ive had to do this a lot lately here it seems, but i shall bow out (but still follow) of this discussion 'tail between the legs'...
No need to walk away feeling defeated, people misunderstand and misread things, it happens! I hope the information is useful for you.
Circuit Doctor is offline  
Old 07-23-2016, 05:06 PM
  #73  
PLRX
Semper Fidelis 1988-2011
 
PLRX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Riverside County Southern California
Posts: 34,010
Thanked 391 Times in 270 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

Originally Posted by QZRBLU View Post
I modified my fog lamp relay circuit about 5 years ago to make my fogs operate normally when I converted from Halogens to HID's. You need to remove the knee bolster from the passenger side of the dash and locate the fog lamp relay (it should be the far right relay in the relay bracket). . Cut the lt grn wire from pin #5 (relay pin 86) about 2" from the relay base and add a 6" jumper of at least 18 Gauge wire with a ring terminal. Find a convenient screw and ground this new jumper wire to the frame of the dash. I used a small piece of heat-shrink tubing to insulate the end of the .5mm lt grn wire that comes from the dimmer switch.
Now, turn on your parking lights and test your fog lamps, they should light and your high beam indicator should be off (unless you have your high beams on).
Page 8A-100-1 shows the circuit in my 1990 FSM.
To undo this mod, just remove the jumper wire and re-connect the original lt grn wire to the relay pin #5.






Mick
Mick or anyone that have done this mod to your C4.

I noticed the cruise control stopped working after I did this mod. Did you have any problems with the cruise control after the ground was changed?
PLRX is offline  
Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 PM
  #74  
gdl2165
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 366
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I've had no problems with the cruise on my 96 after doing this mod.
gdl2165 is offline  
Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM
  #75  
PLRX
Semper Fidelis 1988-2011
 
PLRX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Riverside County Southern California
Posts: 34,010
Thanked 391 Times in 270 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

Originally Posted by gdl2165 View Post
I've had no problems with the cruise on my 96 after doing this mod.
OK, this means the cruise took a dump on me. I already checked all fuses, and connections.
PLRX is offline  
Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 PM
  #76  
TorchTarga94
CF Senior Member
 
TorchTarga94's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Trinity FL
Posts: 2,460
Thanked 147 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Circuit Doctor- May be a dumb question, but do you only need to do this modification to one head lamp? Or does it need to be done to both?
TorchTarga94 is offline  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:14 PM
  #77  
gdl2165
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 366
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94 View Post
Circuit Doctor- May be a dumb question, but do you only need to do this modification to one head lamp? Or does it need to be done to both?
I can answer that, only one headlight need be modified.
gdl2165 is offline  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:39 PM
  #78  
TorchTarga94
CF Senior Member
 
TorchTarga94's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Trinity FL
Posts: 2,460
Thanked 147 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Excellent thank you sir!
TorchTarga94 is offline  
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM
  #79  
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member
 
DMITTZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Langley BC
Posts: 1,484
Thanked 167 Times in 158 Posts
Default

I have noticed it mentioned that the pre-90' cars are wired differently.

Anyone know if LED headlights will work in those cars without needing to re-wire or if not what has to be done to get everything working in a pre 90' car?
DMITTZ is offline  
Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM
  #80  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 8,318
Thanked 700 Times in 543 Posts
Default

Why wouldn't somone installing these aftermarket lites just ground the fog lamp relay coil to wherever is easy ?? Is it really that important the fog lamps go out if the high beams are turned on ??? Seems like you coukd just turn the fog lights off via the switch.
PatternDayTrader is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED headlights + Foglight solution


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: