C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Changing automatic shift boot

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Mike1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing automatic shift boot

Hey all, just a quick wuestion for you. I Just got a new shift boot for my '85 and was wondering if I had to take the entire instrument cluster out just to change the boot. I know I have to take off the trim around it, but do I have to take out the whole assembly? Thanks for any tips on this project, Mike.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You need to take off the instrument cluster bezel because it is on top of the center cluster bezel. The center bezel must be removed because the center console cover is under it. The center console cover must be removed because the shift boot is screwed into the bottom of it.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Cliff is correct. You must remove the center piece to get at the 2 – 7mm screws that hold the center console on at the front. To get the center piece off you must make the driver side console piece very loose. Requires removing the headlight **** also (small screw driver required). There are 2 screws inside the console lid that hold the back side. Not hard to do but tedious. You may need a special set of plies to remove the auto shifter ****. I used a long skinny blade screw driver to prize the C-clip off. Since I was replacing both the boot and an aftermarket shifter **** from Flameball, I didn’t have to worry about reusing that c-clip. You’ll find that the wires to the cigarette lighter are very short. Have the necessary connectors and extra wire to make the 2 stock wires longer. Makes going back in the next time much easier. I have my console off replacing the carpet at this moment. If you need pictures just ask.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing automatic shift boot

Quick Reply: Changing automatic shift boot