C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

air conditionair

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:35 PM
gspur1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditionair

hay people, got a 1985, the air runs ok but not very cold, it still has r12, any body do a change over to r134, where is the low pressure side jus to double check myself, and can i just get a kit for a changover, idid a 1990 corcica years ago i just put a new adaptor on the low side and added r134, worked great for years, im sure it cant be that easy for a vette. anyway anybody got any sugestions, or help thanks a lot
Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gspur1
hay people, got a 1985, the air runs ok but not very cold, it still has r12, any body do a change over to r134, where is the low pressure side jus to double check myself, and can i just get a kit for a changover, idid a 1990 corcica years ago i just put a new adaptor on the low side and added r134, worked great for years, im sure it cant be that easy for a vette. anyway anybody got any sugestions, or help thanks a lot
I just repaired the a/c on my 85 , which is r134....I needed a interupter switch, I think it's the high pressure switch, it's the same as the low pressure switch on the lower line,, and the napa guy asked if I had r12 or r134....so you may have to change the pressure switches, they were not that much..really don't see why if the pressure's all the same...
Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I put some r12 replacement in my stepson old car and it seems to work great I have heard r12&r134 don't play well together
Old 04-08-2015, 01:57 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The lubricating oil in R12 is not compatible with the lubricating oil in R134a. To do it right you need to flush all the mineral oil out of the R12 system and replace it with PAG oil.

The operating pressures are not the same either. The low pressure switch should be changed.

The hoses in systems before 1988 are not compatible with the smaller R134a molecules and they will leak.

All the seals need to be replaced with seals that are compatible with PAG oil.

The receiver/dryer needs to be replaced. It has desiccant inside it that helps keep the system dry so it won't form acid and corrode the evaporator.

I am planning to replace my Harrison AC compressor with a Denso compressor and started a web page to document the process. Here's a sneak preview (not done yet -- much more to come):

http://www.misterpeachy.com/VetteStu..._to_Denso.html

Here's a thread on this very subject:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-to-84-a.html
Old 04-08-2015, 05:24 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

gspur1; Here is a link to a Wealth of information regarding A/C system repair and Modification, as well as replacement parts..

Cliff; You may want to fresh up your 10Pa pump with new seals before installation, I did one about three years ago for about $35 and about two hours worth of time. It consisted of new body, Hose Block seals, new case Bolt copper gaskets, and a new Shaft seal. The new seals are compatible with R134

Get notified of new replies

To air conditionair

Quick Reply: air conditionair