C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gas in the sump??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:24 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Gas in the sump??

Hi..

On a '87 L98, assuming you had a torn fuel pump regulator diaphragm and gas was being sucked up through the diaphragm into the plenum chamber, ..would that gas find its way into the sump? If so, by what route?

I'm thinking the gas would run down the runners into the intake and to the back of the valves, but with no further access to contaminate the sump oil.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-17-2015, 08:04 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by exitwound
Hi..

On a '87 L98, assuming you had a torn fuel pump regulator diaphragm and gas was being sucked up through the diaphragm into the plenum chamber, ..would that gas find its way into the sump? If so, by what route?

I'm thinking the gas would run down the runners into the intake and to the back of the valves, but with no further access to contaminate the sump oil.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,
Steve
Yes I belive throught the torn diafram though the vacum hose system
Old 04-17-2015, 09:39 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 474 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by exitwound
Hi..

Am I wrong?

Cheers,
Steve
If the valves are open and the gas leaks into the cylinders it will slowly leak past the rings into the sump.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
If the valves are open and the gas leaks into the cylinders it will slowly leak past the rings into the sump.
; also a leaking injector(s) can be the culprit

Get notified of new replies

To Gas in the sump??

Quick Reply: Gas in the sump??