C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 with hotcam and mods, where should i start with tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 12:48 PM

Default L98 with hotcam and mods, where should i start with tuning?

ok here is the setup, 87 L98, stock heads, Hot Cam, LT4 springs, 1.6rr's,full length headers,no cat, flow cat back.stock tpi base,accel runners, ported plenum,52mm t.b., ford blue top injecters( i think they are 24?),t.b bypass,smog elim,and cut lid with stock filter, the tranny is stock with stock converter...i ran it last night with stock chip in it and at stock fuel pres(havnt installed adj reg yet) and it ran 13.30@101.90mph......i know there is more in it i was going to get a Ed Wright FastChip do you think that is the right thing to do?will it be a big improvement? also where should i start with the fuel pressure? is there anything else i should be doing? thanks for any help.......
Old 08-17-2002, 05:07 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: L98 with hotcam and mods, where should i start with tuning? (Kamarossrs)

Seems as though it's running pretty good now. With those stock heads, and base, you're not getting the full ben. of the cam, and runners. I''d hook a scanner up and see where things are in regards to running rich or lean. If you are running OK in that deparment I'd just wait on the chip until you do heads, and base. That will increase your air flow a good bit, and then you will most likely need a chip. Plus the MAF system is much more forgiving.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:09 AM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: L98 with hotcam and mods, where should i start with tuning? (88_vette)

Like said, you need to hook up a scanner to see what the ECM is seeing. This is not the best, but it is a start. You will want to take a look at your BLM numbers. These are your long term learn numbers. If they are far from 128, you could use a PROM. Will it be a major kick in the pants,... not until you do the heads/intake.

You know somebody w/ a scanner?

Get notified of new replies

To L98 with hotcam and mods, where should i start with tuning?

Quick Reply: L98 with hotcam and mods, where should i start with tuning?