C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ecu purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:27 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Ecu purchase

1989 auto trans. All stock

I want to purchase a new Ecu, but not sure what to buy. I think I keep my current memcal but what do I have to provide or look for when replacing Ecu? After I get it, is there anything I need to do to it besides install it after putting in memcal?
Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
1989 auto trans. All stock

I want to purchase a new Ecu, but not sure what to buy. I think I keep my current memcal but what do I have to provide or look for when replacing Ecu? After I get it, is there anything I need to do to it besides install it after putting in memcal?
I don't know that I'd rush into a purchase and FOR SURE I wouldn't sacrifice and use yours as a core before a purchase is installed and confirmed good. Is yours an original GM production OR a rebuild done by GM/ACD or perhaps by someone else. There should be a label on yours. What is the information on the label?

I might post a WTB here on the CF for maybe a "KNOWN GOOD" one first. Have you replaced the PROM yet?
Old 07-14-2015, 08:12 PM
mlm0
Drifting

I think everything is original. I would keep my core. I just don't know what information I need to check or provide to get the correct ecu

Last edited by mlm0; 07-14-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:48 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Yours should have a label on it that suggests replacement with a SERVICE # 1227165. The most recent actually serviced # would have been a 16198259. You could use either of those as a reference when shopping. Avoid any others I'd think until you actually confirmed what ever it was you might find. There were some later #'s published but most of those weren't actually released (my thoughts) or were issued when a customers ECM was surrendered for a rebuild through GM/ACD>

Are you quite sure you need one?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 PM
mlm0
Drifting

no not sure I need one, but I have tried everything to get my engine to idle better but nothing works. I have replaced, adjusted or tested parts and systems but no luck. It seems to have miss at idle only
If it can be replaced or adjusted I have done it , but am still open to suggestions. It also wants to crank too long before starting and I read article that the original ecu on 89 Vette had that problem due to manufacture problem. Thought new Ecu might correct both problems

Get notified of new replies

To Ecu purchase

Quick Reply: Ecu purchase