C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Tuners for Boosted LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:47 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best Tuners for Boosted LT1?

Curious question... In the last year I knew of at least 3 people in my area that said they could tune my Supercharged Vette.. Within the last year since I have finished my build I am still working with the Tuner I have choosen but since I am looking for a back-up it seems that the other two dont even tune these cars anymore... So my question is does anyone have a list (distance doesnt matter...) of top tuners that can tune for FI on an LT1? Self tuning not being an option..

95 LT1 383 D1SC
Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

It's best if You learn how to do this yourself and you will know more than 99% of the so called obd1 tuners out there

On my 93, I have an ostrich plugged into my chip socket. It has a USB port on the other side. I use tuner pro with a $da2 definition file (unique to the speed density used in 92 thru 93).

There are new definition files (tunercat) that allow use of a 2 bar or 3 bar map sensor where you can reference your fueling to your boost - just like with ls1 PCMs.

Yours is a 95 (sequential,MAF system, EEPROM so no USB) so it is different than mine but I still think the 2 bar and 3 bar map versions may exist.

To datalog, I use datamaster and have a wideband O2 sensor in one of my exhaust pipes. I plug the wideband sensors analog output into my air conditioning pressure sensor receptacle and it will spit out my wideband O2 readings alongside my other datascan engine operating pArameters.
Talk to Greg @ Blowerworks, he might be able to help you out

Last edited by dizwiz24; 07-28-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:25 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Thanks Dizwiz

I have the car at a local shop now and they did the base tune and now I have them doing the final tune and its starting to look like they cant do it... I have upgraded the Maf and have put alot of money into this build just to start finding out no one can tune this car anymore... Getting pretty depressing. So I am asking if there is anyone "Professionally" tuning High performance any more... I know some worst case senarios in my mind but trying not to go to learning how to tune or switch to x24... I simply dont have the time or space... I have called Greg a couple of times just waiting to hear back.. Does he still Tune? If so would it even be safe for my car to have a mailorder tune...?
Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by luckydekko
Thanks Dizwiz

I have the car at a local shop now and they did the base tune and now I have them doing the final tune and its starting to look like they cant do it... I have upgraded the Maf and have put alot of money into this build just to start finding out no one can tune this car anymore... Getting pretty depressing. So I am asking if there is anyone "Professionally" tuning High performance any more... I know some worst case senarios in my mind but trying not to go to learning how to tune or switch to x24... I simply dont have the time or space... I have called Greg a couple of times just waiting to hear back.. Does he still Tune? If so would it even be safe for my car to have a mailorder tune...?
I am not sure why so called shops are too chicken to learn how to tune. It's simple. Not rocket science.

A correct base tune will get you 90% of the way there, but if they mess this up it could damage your car. So if they don't know what they are doing , I'd be nervous.

After you do your tune (I'm confident you can learn)....take to the dyno and do your first pull to 4000 rpm (no higher) and make sure air fuel ratios are correct before winding it up any higher .

I'm assuming you are doing meth/water Injection so make sure that's all workin before going to before going to the dyno.

Incorrect spark advance can screw up your engine. The good news is we have a knock sensor system that is pretty good at catching the issues before anything bad happens - provided nobody has disabled it in your tune.

There is a tunerpro rt forum if you need help (note tunercat is the one that has the 2 bar map tunes....but you will still learn a lot on that site).

If you really don't think you can handle this, I would recommend getting help from tjwong-pacific northwest area, bjanuski-Wisconsin, alvin@pcmforless(North Carolina) or rklessdriver (will)/93 ragtop - they know a guy that did a good job recently on 93 ragtops car in Virginia.

Pm me your email and I will send you what my boosted 93's tune looks like. Though note that some stuff is going to be way different as mine is a speed density car and doesn't have a MAF aensor
Old 08-04-2015, 09:30 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I am not sure why so called shops are too chicken to learn how to tune. It's simple. Not rocket science.

A correct base tune will get you 90% of the way there, but if they mess this up it could damage your car. So if they don't know what they are doing , I'd be nervous.

After you do your tune (I'm confident you can learn)....take to the dyno and do your first pull to 4000 rpm (no higher) and make sure air fuel ratios are correct before winding it up any higher .

I'm assuming you are doing meth/water Injection so make sure that's all workin before going to before going to the dyno.

Incorrect spark advance can screw up your engine. The good news is we have a knock sensor system that is pretty good at catching the issues before anything bad happens - provided nobody has disabled it in your tune.

There is a tunerpro rt forum if you need help (note tunercat is the one that has the 2 bar map tunes....but you will still learn a lot on that site).

If you really don't think you can handle this, I would recommend getting help from tjwong-pacific northwest area, bjanuski-Wisconsin, alvin@pcmforless(North Carolina) or rklessdriver (will)/93 ragtop - they know a guy that did a good job recently on 93 ragtops car in Virginia.

Pm me your email and I will send you what my boosted 93's tune looks like. Though note that some stuff is going to be way different as mine is a speed density car and doesn't have a MAF aensor
Yea thats the problem... I am on MAF... My Tuner now is telling me they strongly suggest I go X24 and open that whole can of worms... Greg sugested that they should be able to tune this thing with out going that route. But at this point I have no one to tune this car and have alot of money in it... If I would of known early on that everyone would leave the LT1 tunning world I would of done something else. If I cant find someone I may have to just sell in part out this car or something after a year of all my Dad and I's hard work. I left Tom Wong a message so we will see. I will also reachout to those other Tuners you suggested, thank you Dizwiz!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:05 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by luckydekko
Yea thats the problem... I am on MAF... My Tuner now is telling me they strongly suggest I go X24 and open that whole can of worms... Greg sugested that they should be able to tune this thing with out going that route. But at this point I have no one to tune this car and have alot of money in it... If I would of known early on that everyone would leave the LT1 tunning world I would of done something else. If I cant find someone I may have to just sell in part out this car or something after a year of all my Dad and I's hard work. I left Tom Wong a message so we will see. I will also reachout to those other Tuners you suggested, thank you Dizwiz!
The issue is these people are unwilling to learn tuning for what they consider a dying market.

It's really not hard.

I hope you have been on tunerpro forum . They have a gm sub forum for older cars like ours. Robertisaar is the moderator there and knows what he is talking about

Dont go the 24x route unless you are doing an ls3 swap or something. It's a total money waster

You already have sequential injection and MAF so you gain nothing (as long as there is a boost work around like there is for mine , but even if not you don't need it)

I believe your definition files is $EE.xdf

All this stuff will become clear, in time, if you get onto tunerpro

This isn't hard stuff!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

In most of the tuning shops I have been to the dyno operator/tuner only knows 2 brands of software and does not want to take the time to learn to use any other brands of tuning software.A car ecm is not rocket science-its just a circuit board with a processor and memory chips.So if you take your car into a certain tuning shop and the tuner has never used the software that you use to tune your car you are back out on the road.There are 2 ways to go with your car-get the proper bits and software to access your stock ecm.See http://www.moates.net/ for the goods needed to hack into your gm ecm.Or change the system out completly to a Holley,Fast,Big Stuff 3 or other kind of programable system that comes with its own software.I had to haul a ls6 ecm to 2 different tuner shops just to get the vats and some other functions shut off so the engine could be used in an older car.Shop 1 tried to sell me a $2000 Holley system saying it was better that the gm ecm.Shop 2 had software to work on Fords and Gm lsx only.C4 guys are kind of left to the learn-it-your-self mode.I just got a beater 87 c4 for a track day car and I am going to try out working with the GM ecm.I can adjust the fueling at %80+ throttle and still have the car pass a Cali smog inspection.

Last edited by odxr; 08-05-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Have you tried BlowerWorks?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:48 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Have you tried BlowerWorks?
Greg is not a tuner. However he knows (and sells) the products you need (adapters/ software/ definition files).

He 'might' even have a base tune from one of his customers with a car similar to yours that he is willing to sell.

He got me going with a moates adapter (which I don't think you will use because your car is not a chip car).

I really wish you had a 92 or 93 speed density as I could give you my tune
Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=luckydekko;1590125670]Curious question... In the last year I knew of at least 3 people in my area that said they could tune my Supercharged Vette.. Within the last year since I have finished my build I am still working with the Tuner I have choosen but since I am looking for a back-up it seems that the other two dont even tune these cars anymore... So my question is does anyone have a list (distance doesnt matter...) of top tuners that can tune for FI on an LT1? Self tuning not being an option..

95 LT1 383 D1SC[/QUO
Might be worth trailer or driving to San Antonio http://www.murillomotorsports.com/

Last edited by illenema; 08-13-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Tuners for Boosted LT1?

Quick Reply: Best Tuners for Boosted LT1?