C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 Fuel Pump Relay (?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 PM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 85 Fuel Pump Relay (?) (carbed)

I converted over to a carb last year, powering an external fuel pump with the lead that went to the stock fuel pump. Everything worked fine.

I pulled the engine out of it this weekend to replace it with a 383 I've built. While I have the engine out, I got a hair up my *** to eliminate the A/C evaporator & housing, and related remaining A/C stuff. (Compressor already removed last year)

Below is a pic of a relay (?) that I thought was mounted below the blower motor, but could have been mounted to the side as in the diagram I found in my shop manual.

Does this look like the fuel pump relay?

I was thinking of just wiring up the external fuel pump to a separate relay triggered by an ignition on lead, and bypassing the stock relay and oil pressure switch, although I haven't due to it would not shut off in the event of an accident. Any other ideas on powering the fuel pump on a carbed converted over?

Thanks,

Carl

Last edited by cohocarl; 08-11-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

a quick PN check shows an AC blower motor relay used from 84-87. the fuel pump relay on an 85 is located next to the brake booster.

Last edited by Joe C; 08-11-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by cohocarl
Below is a pic of a relay (?) that I thought was mounted below the blower motor, but could have been mounted to the side as in the diagram I found in my shop manual.

Does this look like the fuel pump relay?

I was thinking of just wiring up the external fuel pump to a separate relay triggered by an ignition on lead, and bypassing the stock relay and oil pressure switch, although I haven't due to it would not shut off in the event of an accident. Any other ideas on powering the fuel pump on a carbed converted over?

Thanks,

Carl

The image that's shown next to your relay - is that directly from a FSM for an '85? I believe I've seen a similar error in an '86 FSM except that the BOOSTER wasn't labeled as the blower motor. That image should be titled LH front of dash because the relay location and the C106 connector is appropriate and both are just to the right of the booster. The 12HC14 looked like it may be from an FSM so I thought I'd ask.

In the 8A201 section maybe 3 or 4 pages deep. Interesting it's an error that's maybe in more than 1 MY FSM.

The relay is certainly the blower relay but the other image is very interesting. Change blower to booster and LH side of dash and all should be well. Look for an image that just says "REAR OF ENGINE COMPARTMENT" maybe 10 - 12 pages deep in the 8A201 section.

I don't know that a cut-off for the pump can be accomplished with anything other than an inertia switch. Here's a really inexpensive inertia switch from FORD XF32-9341-AA - likely on all dealers shelves, Amazon or eBay with the last maybe being the least expensive but there's likely other options.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-11-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:42 PM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The image that's shown next to your relay - is that directly from a FSM for an '85? I believe I've seen a similar error in an '86 FSM except that the BOOSTER wasn't labeled as the blower motor. That image should be titled LH front of dash because the relay location and the C106 connector is appropriate and both are just to the right of the booster. The 12HC14 looked like it may be from an FSM so I thought I'd ask.

In the 8A201 section maybe 3 or 4 pages deep. Interesting it's an error that's maybe in more than 1 MY FSM.

The relay is certainly the blower relay but the other image is very interesting. Change blower to booster and LH side of dash and all should be well. Look for an image that just says "REAR OF ENGINE COMPARTMENT" maybe 10 - 12 pages deep in the 8A201 section.

I don't know that a cut-off for the pump can be accomplished with anything other than an inertia switch. Here's a really inexpensive inertia switch from FORD XF32-9341-AA - likely on all dealers shelves, Amazon or eBay with the last maybe being the least expensive but there's likely other options.
Thanks for the info guys.

The image of the "blower" mislabeled makes sense now. The shop manual I have is on a CD in a .pdf that I bought on either ebay or Amazon quite a few years ago. It's probably a Chinese copy that booster and blower got mixed up.
Below is a printscreen of the first two "pages".
Thanks for the info on the inertia switch. That's probably the route I'll go. I remember my 75 MGB had an overactive inertia switch that would trip out every so often if I hit a good bump.

While I was on Photobucket, I also copied over a pic of my new D.D. I picked up a couple weeks ago.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

My '86 FSM shows a different picture with both the fuel pump and OD relays. There is no label on the brake booster.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
My '86 FSM shows a different picture with both the fuel pump and OD relays. There is no label on the brake booster.

But does it say RH like this? I suspect so.

Name:  '86 FPR ERROR.png
Views: 8409
Size:  25.0 KB

It might be interesting if "JOE C" checks his '85 FSM particularly if his is "paper".
Old 08-13-2015, 01:26 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
But does it say RH like this? I suspect so.

Attachment 47907546
It does. Same drawing number too.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:46 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cohocarl
The shop manual I have is on a CD in a .pdf that I bought on either ebay or Amazon quite a few years ago. It's probably a Chinese copy that booster and blower got mixed up.
Looks like its the "Red Cover" CD, I think you got a good copy. The paper FSM is full of errors and excessively complicated R&R procedures. Your car might not get fixed if your Tech isnt the brightest bulb in the pack.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Fuel Pump Relay (?)

Quick Reply: 85 Fuel Pump Relay (?)