C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC freon leak...where to start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 PM
drivestwin
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AC freon leak...where to start...

Well, I recharged the AC in my newly acquired 1994 and it worked!!!...for a few weeks. Now its back to needing freon again.

Any experience out there that can start me on the path to finding and solving the leak?

I've done a search with no luck.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

The Schrader valves are always the first Culprit! if there is still pressure in the system you can make up a Solution of dishwashing liquid mixed with water and do the Soap test, and look for bubbles. Another way to test for smaller leaks is with Dye and a Black lite.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
The Schrader valves are always the first Culprit! if there is still pressure in the system you can make up a Solution of dishwashing liquid mixed with water and do the Soap test, and look for bubbles. Another way to test for smaller leaks is with Dye and a Black lite.
I just spit on my finger and filled the valve. My 94 did the same thing. I bought a tool that you can take the shrader valve out and replace without looseing freon. Or you can just by new caps from any parts store and put on tight to hold it longer. You can get a cheap sniffer off fleabay for $20
Old 08-13-2015, 08:02 AM
bls72bmw
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

More involved than you are looking for but I recently used GREEN DYED PAG 150 Oil in my system. It was easy to see plain as day (no black light needed) when it was leaking out. But to add that it's more of a system flush/fill effort.

AutoZone will loan you for free the tools to flush the system, pull vacuum, and even a DVD to explain it all (DVD well worth the time). But again, if you have just a slight leak it's probably more than you want to go.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by drivestwin
Well, I recharged the AC in my newly acquired 1994 and it worked!!!...for a few weeks. Now its back to needing freon again.

Any experience out there that can start me on the path to finding and solving the leak?

I've done a search with no luck.

Thanks,

Marc
When you say a few weeks, was the AC every day? I had a leak in a car that was in the condenser, it would leak out within a day if the AC was used.. I got lucky and found the condenser to be soaked on one side with oil where there was nothing else to cause the oil to get there

I also agree it could be a schrader valve as well
Old 08-13-2015, 10:00 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Also, check the front seal of the compressor to see if its oily looking. Maybe that's why they sold it to you.

Really though, it could be a lot of things. Don't put sealant in the system. Fix it correctly...

Easiest thing is to get some dye into the system, and then see where it comes out.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:04 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmaniac
Also, check the front seal of the compressor to see if its oily looking. Maybe that's why they sold it to you.

Really though, it could be a lot of things. Don't put sealant in the system. Fix it correctly...

Easiest thing is to get some dye into the system, and then see where it comes out.

The high pressure port is not a Schrader valve but a ball valve which is known to leak. A/C shop do this job all the time because the ball does not seat correctly and (seat) pits. Usually the Schrader valve is OK (on the low side port).

I would use a Freon leak detector (sniffer) and first check for the leak. As said, check around the front of the compressor, high pressure port, drain tube of the evaporator and A/C vents in the car.

Don’t get water on the sniffer ever. A basic one will work for home use and can be bought for well under $70.

You can also go to an A/C shop as most will do a free check out with their leak detector. That may be an easy way to get started.

Dye can work if you can visibly see where it is coming out.

Last edited by pcolt94; 08-15-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Dye can work if you can visibly see where it is coming out.
I have wondered about that. My condenser leaked and you couldn't see it because it was inside the radiator shroud. My evaporator is currently leaking, also inside a shroud. The A/C shop found it with their sniffer.

I have heard many people say the Schrader valves leak. The spit test seems to be the best test for that problem.

Get notified of new replies

To AC freon leak...where to start...

Quick Reply: AC freon leak...where to start...