C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service ASR light, pulls code DTC 65

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:47 AM
b46nelson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service ASR light, pulls code DTC 65

Help,
1994 LT1 Coupe.

Have the red cover service manuals and have followed thru the flow charts pointing to a bad EBTCM. Even though testing points to the EBTCM being bad I can't but question this due to the failure event. All was good until I lost brake fluid due to some rusted brake lines. At that time the Service ASR lit but didn't check codes. Once all the brake lines were replaced and brakes bled, the Service ASR would not clear.

The DTC 65 shows to be a problem with the adjuster assembly circuit but from reading other post it seems other issues can set the DTC 65. Some that I've found said to check problems with the power and grounds to the EBTCM, vacuum leaks, and low brake fluid. All these seem to check okay.

After clearing the code, the Service ASR is not lit until I press the gas pedal, at that time the Service ASR lights and I get the DTC 65. If I unplug the connector to the adjuster assembly motor, the Service ASR lights even without touching the gas pedal and throws the DTC 65. This kind of tells me the adjuster assembly circuit isn't at fault. Turning the ASR off doesn't affect the outcome.

Questions,,,,,,,,does anyone have a list of other known faults that will throw the DTC 65 ?? Any other flow charts to follow?? Better way of testing??

Have a great day,
Bob
Old 08-31-2015, 06:21 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

You don't mention anything other than the brake lines and I follow some or most of your comments/diagnostics but I'd maybe check this thread.

Where are you located? A Tech1 might help but I haven't sat down to read the '94 FSM to check appropriate diagnostics. I have a Tech1 but I don't recall if I have the 16 pin adapter. I believe I should.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...any-ideas.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-31-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 AM
b46nelson
Intermediate

Thank you WVZR-1,

I'm located just outside Indianapolis, in Whitestown Indiana.

I had already read the link you posted before posting along with many many many others. That's where I found to check things like fluid level and vacuum leaks.

I've looked around a bit for a Tech 1 and other GM testing devices. When I follow thru the flowcharts and it calls for a Tech 1, breakout box, etc. I'm dead in the water and usually look for a work around or skip that part of the flow chart. I know this isn't a good thing. Does anyone know of a good source to purchase these GM test devices????

As far as test equipment, I have a fluke meter, test light, and Actron CP9190 scanner.

In addition to replacing the brake lines I removed and reinstalled the exhaust and manifolds to replace the stuck oxygen sensors. Car has sat for over a year. Will be replacing shift solenoids today to hopefully fix my transmission issue I've had for many years now. Finally received codes showing bad "B" solenoid.

Have a great day,
Bob

Last edited by b46nelson; 08-31-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:02 PM
b46nelson
Intermediate

Good updates,

Looks like you need to drive the car to reset the Service ASR. Placed car in drive without pressing the gas pedal and once I heard the ASB pump run for a second all was good. I actually think I might have read this in the past a long time ago. Think I was burnt before.

Replaced both the "a" and "b" shift solenoids in the tranny and now it works great. If anyone read any of my old post about the tranny problem it was weird. Tranny was stuck in drive (3rd). I could over fill tranny and it would work great or I could drive a few miles then turn key off, restart and it would work great until the next day. Wasn't getting any codes at the time.

Have a great day,
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Service ASR light, pulls code DTC 65

Quick Reply: Service ASR light, pulls code DTC 65