C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help: Stalls when put into gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Dave Cat
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Stalls when put into gear

i have a '90 Base. Really odd series of events.

Problem: I can start the car, but it stalls when I am not giving it gas. It is drivable until I approach a stop and then stalls when I have to rely on the idle

Here is my odd backstory. Prior to this problem creeping up, I was trying to do an R12 to R-134 conversion on a leaky A/C/ I replaced most of the gaskets and pulled a vacuum. I tried to add the R-134 but could never get the compressor to kick in..... so I abandoned that little endeavor for another day........ put the bonnet back down and decided to take the car for a drive. It was fine for the first 3 miles but at the next start, i ran into the idle problems.

Reads of the forum point ot a multitude of potential problems - Im even scratching my head wondering if i bumped the TPS or IAC..... but ...

Question: Is it possible that some part of my A/C project has screwed up Vaccum that would support the idle?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just for kicks can you disconnect the A/C compressor clutch and try again?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

or just hook up your freon and jump the low pressure switch to kick on your compressure to fill your freon. little bumps till it kicks by itself.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-08-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:23 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Cat
I tried to add the R-134 but could never get the compressor to kick in.
Usually you have to short out the low pressure switch to get the compressor to engage. Just unplug it and connect a jumper between the contacts in the connector.

Reads of the forum point ot a multitude of potential problems - Im even scratching my head wondering if i bumped the TPS or IAC..
I suggest a minimum idle adjustment. That will get your TPS where it should be and should stop your dying at idle:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1570563689

Question: Is it possible that some part of my A/C project has screwed up Vaccum that would support the idle?
Highly unlikely. They aren't really connected together in any way except for the vacuum that operates the HVAC doors inside the cabin.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:26 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I suggest a minimum idle adjustment. That will get your TPS where it should be and should stop your dying at idle:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1570563689

Start with the basics.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Dave Cat
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks.....

I adjusted my idle. I was a little surprised to see the cap still covering the screw. I assumed that a car that age would have been tinkered with. Who knows. I'm not the original owner so perhaps the TB was replaced

I adjusted the idle a little high (500 ish) - I assume that's not a huge problem.

runs fine. took it for a spin.

thanks for the help
Old 10-10-2015, 05:59 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm glad its working ok but I bet you have vacuum leak somewhere. The lines crack easy with age and the rubber elbow joints they use on the end of the lines in places come out very easily. Can be a nightmare to find.

Its your call if you want to go hunting for the culprit but with the symptoms you listed the job you were doing to the car Id have to believe its a vacuum leak. A small one does exactly what you were having problems with.

Get notified of new replies

To Help: Stalls when put into gear

Quick Reply: Help: Stalls when put into gear