C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pennzoil Platinum how about

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:41 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I saw sludge almost as bad. I did not place it to any specific oil though.

When I was working as a mechanic, I took the valve cover off a mid 60's Ford small block to check for a ticking rocker arm/lifter.

With the cover off, it still looked like the cover was there. The sludge had made a complete casting by using the valve cover as a mold.

I suspect that the owner never changed his oil.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
What is the make of that engine? DOHC? Looks like a pretty late model car, not an old stove-bolt Chevy six. An engine that is always driven on short "grocery runs" won't have a chance to warm up properly, and will condense water vapors in the valve/cam covers, and this may cause this type of sludge in some non-synthetic motor oils.

I'd guess this engine had a bad head gasket. Do I see an Audi symbol in the far right side of this picture?

That definitely looks like the 4 circles of the Audi symbol. And with the red anodized components it looks like a DOHC engine. It sure isn't an old American engine like any of the early in-line 6 cylinder engines. I'll bet this was a gasket failure that allowed coolant to escape. Or maybe a crack in a water jacket. I certainly don't think this was the result of years of bad maintenance.

I used Quaker State oil years ago and never had an issue with sludge. Same with Pennzoil. With older engines, short trips and high humidity can easily cause a build up of sludge. Old engines were never "sealed" in that they had open crankcase breathers that would allow moist air to flow back into an engine. And they never seemed to run as hot as today's engines that have run hot in order to meet high emissions standards.

Quick Reply: Pennzoil Platinum how about