C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Symptoms of a bad CCM in 91 C4

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 02:04 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Okay..
This one is 92 Auto, C68 (IIRC) VATS code unknown, Mileage unknown

This one is from my conversion.. 92, 6spd, C68 and I have a key for the VATS code Approx 91K miles

The one with the smaller Sticker was bought Brand new and used for 2 months.. I did a quick google and found it listed at rock auto as a reman unit

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 11-11-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Crusader10hky
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Okay..
This one is 92 Auto, C68 (IIRC) VATS code unknown, Mileage unknown

This one is exactly what I need. The numbers match exactly except for the M### which I assume is a part serial number of some sort. Do you know that this one is functional or is it salvaged from an unknown source? Could you PM me a price?

I don't have access to a VATS interrogator but I like the rheostat rigging idea. I don't plan to do a permanent bypass so I'll need to cut a new key etc.

Either way, even without VATS code I should be able to prove that it was the CCM right away. If my LCD comes on that's proof right there.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:56 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusader10hky
This one is exactly what I need. The numbers match exactly except for the M### which I assume is a part serial number of some sort. Do you know that this one is functional or is it salvaged from an unknown source? Could you PM me a price?

I don't have access to a VATS interrogator but I like the rheostat rigging idea. I don't plan to do a permanent bypass so I'll need to cut a new key etc.

Either way, even without VATS code I should be able to prove that it was the CCM right away. If my LCD comes on that's proof right there.
It could certainly be used as a "diagnostic device" I'd think. If it made it crank/run I'd think it an accomplishment.

Take these #'s to a GM parts dept and ask if they'd get you a "rebuild to spec" for your CCM ..... the original service number, the 16193458 and a 88999216 which could maybe be for a "rebuild to spec" through GMSPO but done by an outside source. It's customarily a very slow process but it can sometimes be surprisingly fast. Maybe NOT possible but you'll need to speak to someone that "understands". Parts Manager maybe ..
Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Any luck? I still have the CCMs avail
Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Crusader10hky
Cruising

Boy, real life is really getting in the way of this project! sorry for the HUGE delay, I expect more of them with the holidays here already.

That said, I found a seller on ebay who sells CCMS cloned off of your original, but you have to send your original first. Also its hundreds more than others. I've been trying to find a local one I can plug in to verify my troubleshooting before I break the bank. I wouldn't expect you to want to let me 'borrow' one so I'm talking to a few shops around here trying to see if I can snag a rental

Tried "Just Corvettes" which is in my area, and the guy just tried to sell me every other part under the sun and said its never the CCM. But I'm stubborn when I've got evidence.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:31 AM
eagle-157
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having the same problem with a 95 Auto trans. It had been sitting for about 8 years. Taking dash cover off today to get to the CCM to do diags in FSM. I hope you get yours fixed. I am interested in what fixes yours.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Alan Humphrey
4th Gear

I know it's been over a couple of years now, but wanted to know if you did replace the CCM and whether it fixed the problem? I am having the very same problem with identical symptoms. If you did replace it, did you have to get the new ccm reprogrammed, and if so, can a dealership have the know-how to do this? Or is it better to find someone that somewhat specializes in this?
Any wisdom would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Crusader10hky
Cruising

Unfortunately this project was put on hold, I’ll spare you the non-car related details. I still have the original ccm pulled and my next step is the same. I still believe it to be the problem but I haven’t been in a position to do anything about it yet, sorry guys.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:32 PM
eagle-157
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Humphrey
I know it's been over a couple of years now, but wanted to know if you did replace the CCM and whether it fixed the problem? I am having the very same problem with identical symptoms. If you did replace it, did you have to get the new ccm reprogrammed, and if so, can a dealership have the know-how to do this? Or is it better to find someone that somewhat specializes in this?
Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Yes I did replace the CCM and my problems went away. Not long after the transmission gave up and so I had that rebuilt, then replaced the Opti, water pump with the tube in the weep hole, and plugs and wires. It runs like a top now, been to Fl a couple of times, love driving it.

The new CCM may have different mileage if your old one can't be accessed. Mine was completely dead. My local mechanic shop did the replacement and tried to have the CCM reprogrammed, but since mine was completely dead, no go on reprogramming. I am not sure where they got the new CCM, but it does work now and works well.

Good luck, I hope all goes well for you. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 PM
jtbassman62
1st Gear

Default Where did you get ccm

If possible could you please ask the shop you went to where they got the CCM for your Corvette?
Old 07-25-2020, 03:01 AM
Crusader10hky
Cruising

Default Finally.

After long last, and a lot of crazy, I’ve resurrected my car. Davies Corvette on New Port Richey FL (https://corvetteparts.com/) offers a CCM rebuild service. I shipped my CCM down there and received it back a little over a month later. Popped it in and voila, all my problems disappeared. Well except for the now-seized fuel pump, but that’s par for the course. Swapped that out and I have a running car again.

I found Davies a few years back but was a little hesitant to mail my CCM into the unknown. A lot of mechanics and so-called ‘vette guys’ I spoke to told me that the CCM never goes bad and that couldn’t be the issue. It made me inexplicably doubt my troubleshooting. Glad I finally bit the bullet and got it going. Thanks to everyone here for their input! Even though it’s been forever, I’m glad to finally resolve this one!
Old 07-26-2020, 01:15 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

It is GREAT that your Corvette is on the road again!!!

On the third post a person named antfarmer2 suggested the fusible links might have been an issue. This is a very valid suggestion as when corrosion forms at the post where the fusible links get their power from then other issues can appear.

I have a 1988 C4 Coupe and it would not start, run, turn on the lights or anything. I measured the voltage at the Fuse panel and it was almost 2 volts lower than it was at the battery itself. I cleaned the post and all the fusible link connectors and suddenly the accessories all started working again. My fuel pump sounded normal again and the Bose radio was getting full battery voltage. Things don't always work so well with 10 volts and it puts a nasty strain on them. On my '88 there are 7 fusible links that supply virtually the entire Corvette's power system. I now routinely check the post and it is covered in battery grease to prevent any new corrosion.

On these fairly early EFI Corvettes it is so important to have good clean power getting to all the pieces that use it. I regularly clean the battery terminals and coat them in grease as well. On the inside of the Corvette I use DeOxIt which is a cleaner that removes all the corrosion that was built up prior to using the DeOxIt. I use it on every Electrical connection AND ground connections inside the Corvette. It really helps the components have good solid connections and that really helps these old Corvettes.

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a bad CCM in 91 C4