C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 fuel injectors hold 30 at idle, 38 with fpr removed, go to zero in 5 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I've worked on several SRS with Multec Injectors and spent quite a sum on them
Multec I injectors are quite problematic especially when they are old.
Bad coils and leaky valve seats are the most common problems:

These are direct-fit replacements:
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...1810xx&eq=&Tp=

Old 11-08-2015, 10:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Multec I injectors are quite problematic especially when they are old.
Bad coils and leaky valve seats are the most common problems:
Even with my Bosch units, I send them for cleaning and testing every 100K. On my ATV and Jetskis, every 3 years. Had a mechanic that would ohm test them but it never checked for valve seats so we chased other problems till we went back and changed the injectors. I don't understand why people just find it so easy to change oil but so difficult to check injectors every few years.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:18 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

If it's an '85 odds are they're the stock Bosch Gen I injectors. Have you checked your timing? If you've got good fuel, you might check your timing a slight adjustment in distributor position can have noticeable effects on idle quality.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:34 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by dclafleur
If it's an '85 odds are they're the stock Bosch Gen I injectors. Have you checked your timing? If you've got good fuel, you might check your timing a slight adjustment in distributor position can have noticeable effects on idle quality.
thanks dc. i *think* its stock. they are black anyway.

i am doing compression and timing next. i will be documenting the plugs when they come out. it sends some very acrid acidic eye burning stinky exhaust out the back. i read last night this may be from timing being too far advanced.

add to the mix the intake manifold leak i know i have....should be rich smelling exhaust.

here is what i read: (in multiple places)

If the smell continues after warm-up more then likely you have an ignition tuning issue. Too rich in the mix more often then not, but sometimes too cold a plug. Too advanced timing can also increase exhaust odor. "

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-09-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,277 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Have you cleaned the throttle body AND all the passages in the TB? Did you take out the IAC solenoid and GENTLY sprayed a fine mist of brake cleaner on the pintle and wiped it down? Have you taken off the IAC housing and cleaned out every passage? Have you reinstalled with new gaskets? Checked the timing, assuming your harmonic balancer is good?

IF so, what are the IAC counts when everything is shut off but the motor and it is in closed loop?

Quick Reply: 1985 fuel injectors hold 30 at idle, 38 with fpr removed, go to zero in 5 seconds