C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 steering wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:07 AM
bam4k
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1984 steering wheel help

I tried to search for a post with my exact problem, but could not find one. That being said I hope someone can help!

In my 84 (a z51 if that matters) the steering seems fine while driving. If turn the steering wheel while the car is off (did this to change the battery) the steering wheel is now not centered while driving strait. With the car off, if I turn the wheel the opposite way about the same amount and it is centered again. Thanks for any help!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:35 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by bam4k
I tried to search for a post with my exact problem, but could not find one. That being said I hope someone can help!

In my 84 (a z51 if that matters) the steering seems fine while driving. If turn the steering wheel while the car is off (did this to change the battery) the steering wheel is now not centered while driving strait. With the car off, if I turn the wheel the opposite way about the same amount and it is centered again. Thanks for any help!
I'd say the early model intermediate-shaft coupling has failed or is severely stressed. Your situation was created/aggravated when you forced the turning with engine "off".

There are remanufactured/rebuilt available.

You actually I'd think could observe the failure if you watched the coupling while someone else cranked the wheel left/right with engine off. A really worn (yours maybe) should be visible even with the engine running and a crank left/right.

Watch the coupling at the "longer" yoke. Here's an eBay offering that you can "zoom" etc. You'll see the crimps on the longer yoke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-C4...xVFD02&vxp=mtr

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-11-2015 at 06:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bam4k (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 07:29 AM
bam4k
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd say the early model intermediate-shaft coupling has failed or is severely stressed. Your situation was created/aggravated when you forced the turning with engine "off".

There are remanufactured/rebuilt available.

You actually I'd think could observe the failure if you watched the coupling while someone else cranked the wheel left/right with engine off. A really worn (yours maybe) should be visible even with the engine running and a crank left/right.

Watch the coupling at the "longer" yoke. Here's an eBay offering that you can "zoom" etc. You'll see the crimps on the longer yoke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-C4...xVFD02&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the help!

Is this a "you can drive it for awhile" or "drive it and the car blows up" kind of problem?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:33 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Thanks for the help!

Is this a "you can drive it for awhile" or "drive it and the car blows up" kind of problem?
I'd say in your particular situation it deserves "sooner rather than later" attention.
bam4k (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 10:25 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd say in your particular situation it deserves "sooner rather than later" attention.
I have a '84 too with a similar problem. My mechanic said I had the same problem as WVZR stated. You can also purchase a reconditioned version from Corvette Central. Which I will do later in the spring.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50f&ukey=20892
Old 12-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

The larger diameter section at the left end of the picture contains an inner rubber sleeve, which is a vibration damper. Your rubber sleeve has fractured. There are pins in the inner section that should be centered in the holes in the outer steel tube. As you move the steering wheel, notice that the pins move in the holes. These pins are a "fail safe" feature, so you can drive the car, but you'll want to replace this assembly soon.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 12-12-2015 at 05:04 PM.
bam4k (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 01:16 AM
bam4k
Advanced

Thank you very much for your help!

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The larger diameter section at the left end of the picture contains an inner rubber sleeve, which is a vibration damper. Your rubber sleeve has fractured. There are pins in the inner section that should be centered in the holes in the outer steel tube. As you move the steering wheel, notice that the pins move in the holes. These pins are a "fail safe" feature, so you can drive the car, but you'll want to replace this assembly soon.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:59 AM
bam4k
Advanced

I looked in my FSM and this seems pretty straight forward and easy to swap out. Is this really the case? Any thoughts from someone who has done this would be appriciated. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:37 PM
84Z51J
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have exactly this problem, to a lesser degree perhaps, and was pretty puzzled--I couldn't see the failure, or reproduce it consistently. Thank you for the time savings!

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 steering wheel help

Quick Reply: 1984 steering wheel help