C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strange Interior Lighting and Sound when the Key is on

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:54 PM
dt#2
Intl Council of Corvettes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Strange Interior Lighting and Sound when the Key is on

Hello Folks,
I am in need of a recommeded solution for the strange issue I am having with my 85 vette. It started about a month or so ago and for the life of me I can't seem to find out what is causing this. When I turn the key to the ACC or run position and turn on the headlights or parking lights, I get this rapid ding, ding, ding while the lights are on....It stops when I turn the lights off. Also I noticed when I first get in it, start the car, and put it in gear the interior lights stays on for about the same amount of time then they go off. I pulled the delay module to see if this had anything to do with it and I still get the same symptoms. I am ordering another headlight switch and delay module anyway but wonder if this will fix the issue. I searched the forum and saw a few posts that suggested door jam switches or even the the headlight switch but was not sure. Don't realy want to replace switches just for heck of it but I am stumped on this one.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:57 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

just gently pull out the door switches and gently close the door to ajust.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 12-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:09 PM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for responding. Are you referring to the ones at the rear of each door? I did notice the one on the driver door is sticking a bit.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by dt#2
Thanks for responding. Are you referring to the ones at the rear of each door? I did notice the one on the driver door is sticking a bit.
yes just pull out on the plunger. what year?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:57 PM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
yes just pull out on the plunger. what year?
its an 85
Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 PM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

I will update this post once I get a chance this weekend. I went ahead and ordered a new headlight switch and delay module to have on standby anyway since these items have already proven to go faulty over the years.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

its an 85
does that have the switch by the hinge or the latch side or both?
Old 12-30-2015, 11:40 AM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

It has switch in both locations
Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

It has switch in both locations
ok going to have to play with it to figure it out or wait for more help. mine only has the one by the latch so not sure.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:00 PM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

Hello all. I just wanted to give an update since I have had a chance to troubleshoot this. I tried lubing this switch and work it gently in and out but still got the same result. I even too it out and did a continuity test on it and it seems to work fine. When pushed in as it would if the door is closed, I got an open on the multimeter. when I pulled the plunger out just slightly I go a short indicating contact inside. I will to bet this is the front jam switch instead. I then sprayed the front switch with the front switch but did notice some sticking. I went ahead ordered a set from Corvette Central. I also swamped out the headlight switch with a new unit just to narrow it down. Once the front jam switches come in I will install and provide another update.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:06 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
czarredd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all. I just wanted to give an update since I have had a chance to troubleshoot this. I tried lubing this switch and work it gently in and out but still got the same result. I even too it out and did a continuity test on it and it seems to work fine. When pushed in as it would if the door is closed, I got an open on the multimeter. when I pulled the plunger out just slightly I go a short indicating contact inside. I will to bet this is the front jam switch instead. I then sprayed the front switch with the front switch but did notice some sticking. I went ahead ordered a set from Corvette Central. I also swamped out the headlight switch with a new unit just to narrow it down. Once the front jam switches come in I will install and provide another update.
How did this turn out?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 PM
eliebarcham
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Folks,
I am in need of a recommeded solution for the strange issue I am having with my 85 vette. It started about a month or so ago and for the life of me I can't seem to find out what is causing this. When I turn the key to the ACC or run position and turn on the headlights or parking lights, I get this rapid ding, ding, ding while the lights are on....It stops when I turn the lights off. Also I noticed when I first get in it, start the car, and put it in gear the interior lights stays on for about the same amount of time then they go off. I pulled the delay module to see if this had anything to do with it and I still get the same symptoms. I am ordering another headlight switch and delay module anyway but wonder if this will fix the issue. I searched the forum and saw a few posts that suggested door jam switches or even the the headlight switch but was not sure. Don't realy want to replace switches just for heck of it but I am stumped on this one.
Had the same problem two weeks ago. My gauges fuse was blow. Replace that and watch the magic
Look for it in the fuse box.

Last edited by eliebarcham; 02-10-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:49 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by eliebarcham
Just for reference, my rear defogger and hatch circuit breakers are switched vs. this diagram (hatch is at the top).

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 02-10-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 PM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

I had checked the fuses as wel but none were blown. I went ahead and disconnected the Audio Alarm Module and no more sound. I still have the ignition switch to install and soon as I get a chance I plan t replace.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Interior Lighting and Sound when the Key is on

Quick Reply: Strange Interior Lighting and Sound when the Key is on