C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 C4 Rear Hatch Solenoid Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:40 PM
dspayne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1989 C4 Rear Hatch Solenoid Repair

my solenoid quit working so I tested it by putting 12v to it and not a sound. I found this page [URL="https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2743367-15-cent-rear-hatch-solenoid-repair.html"] on a cheap repair. So, I took the solenoid apart following directions and that was easy. Once apart I tested the continuity of the electromagnet, nothing. I ended up re-wrapping the magnet and was able to get the solenoid to work again. I can't solder to washers very well let alone the metal housing so I soldered a wire directly to the electromagnet lead and ran it out the housing. I then used an eye terminal on the end and used the solenoid mounting bolt to ground it. Works great. Without the original post I may not have been able to repair it.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

good job!!!!!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:43 PM
jts90vette
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dspayne
my solenoid quit working so I tested it by putting 12v to it and not a sound. I found this page [URL="https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2743367-15-cent-rear-hatch-solenoid-repair.html"] on a cheap repair. So, I took the solenoid apart following directions and that was easy. Once apart I tested the continuity of the electromagnet, nothing. I ended up re-wrapping the magnet and was able to get the solenoid to work again. I can't solder to washers very well let alone the metal housing so I soldered a wire directly to the electromagnet lead and ran it out the housing. I then used an eye terminal on the end and used the solenoid mounting bolt to ground it. Works great. Without the original post I may not have been able to repair it.
Without pics, none of this ever happened, lol!

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 C4 Rear Hatch Solenoid Repair

Quick Reply: 1989 C4 Rear Hatch Solenoid Repair