C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Doug Nash 4+3 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 PM
hitekcm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Doug Nash 4+3 question

1988 C4 , What rpm should the engine be running while in 4th overdrive?
The issue I have is while in 4th and engaging the overdrive it does not seem to shift into another gear but when I let off the throttle it coasts like it is in overdrive.
If I disengage the OD it seems to shift down a gear.
So in other words while say on the freeway in 4th with OD engaged applying throttle the engine is running high RPM"s
This to me does not seem correct?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

No one can give you the rpm's at speed because there were 2 different OD ratios per the codes below. Generally the Z51 cars had the MK2 option and the base cars had the MH5 option. They need to know which one you have. Then some people could calculate or observe their cars to help determine the rpm.

MH5 = 0.60
MK2 = 0.68

When you are driving in 4th gear on the highway at a steady cruise, if you engage the OD, the rpm should drop 32% or 40% and feel like a shift. When you disengage the OD it should also feel like a shift and the rpm should jump 32% or 40%.

As for the feel of coasting, There is no torque converter for allowing slippage, so it should feel like a manual transmission whether the OD is engaged or not. Unless it is going into or out of OD, the rpm should not change at a specific speed at cruise throttle. If it is allowing the rpm to drop with less throttle (without a change to OD engagement) there is something wrong.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM
hitekcm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
No one can give you the rpm's at speed because there were 2 different OD ratios per the codes below. Generally the Z51 cars had the MK2 option and the base cars had the MH5 option. They need to know which one you have. Then some people could calculate or observe their cars to help determine the rpm.

MH5 = 0.60
MK2 = 0.68

When you are driving in 4th gear on the highway at a steady cruise, if you engage the OD, the rpm should drop 32% or 40% and feel like a shift. When you disengage the OD it should also feel like a shift and the rpm should jump 32% or 40%.

As for the feel of coasting, There is no torque converter for allowing slippage, so it should feel like a manual transmission whether the OD is engaged or not. Unless it is going into or out of OD, the rpm should not change at a specific speed at cruise throttle. If it is allowing the rpm to drop with less throttle (without a change to OD engagement) there is something wrong.
I have the Z51 option but at any rate you have just confirmed for me that I have a problem and I appreciate the info, thanks
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette

MH5 = 0.60
MK2 = 0.68

Get notified of new replies

To Doug Nash 4+3 question

Quick Reply: Doug Nash 4+3 question