C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starting fluid ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:04 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

starting fluid washes away any oil on the cylinder walls; The United States Coast Guard gets real concerned when they see a can laying around any of our of our diesel engines, so of course we keep it hidden, but just a whiff across the intake of one of our 12 cylinder cat's will fire it right up on the coldest day when nothing else will...so use it, don't abuse it.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

If you need starting fluid to get it started you have other problems that need attention.
The following users liked this post:
Garand1 (11-11-2022)
Old 07-28-2016, 01:57 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
Just a whiff across the intake . . . use it, don't abuse it.
That's the secret. Use just a tiny bit if necessary, maybe a half second is all it should take! Three seconds is waaaay too long! That's just asking for trouble.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Use with caution!!
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2016, 12:03 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
Yep pure myth starting fluid has no bearing on rods or cylinders as it's consumed during combustion and long befor it could ever remove any lubrication from the cylinder walls

if you've ever sprayed a half can of starting fluid into anything you ain't going to cut as a diagnostic technician
Seriously how much starter fluid are people spraying in their intakes? Running too rich will also wash down your cylinder walls in a car. I use it every blue moon to fire up equipment that has sat for a long time and has old fuel in it. Would I use it on one of my corvettes? Probably not but I can't think of a situation that would be fixed by use of starter fluid on the 'vette.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:46 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by dclafleur
I can't think of a situation that would be fixed by use of starter fluid on the 'vette.
A car that's been stored for a long time might have gasoline that has lost a lot of its volatility, and as a result might be hard to start. That's about the only reason I can think of.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
A car that's been stored for a long time might have gasoline that has lost a lot of its volatility, and as a result might be hard to start. That's about the only reason I can think of.

True but if it sat for that long you're better off draining most of it or at least topping off with fresh.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:42 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I have used a squirt of starting fluid here and there for 35 years and never destroyed anything I was using it on. I have used it for testing to see if a vehicle has a fuel problem or an ignition problem. I have also used it for getting a fuel system primed up. And for the naysayers of using it on a " Corvette ", I had recently used it to get an 86 corvette running after the woman ran it out of gas and let it sit for a year. She has been driving it a couple years now since I did it, and its running great.

Starting fluid is not a good thing on diesels but a quick squirt will crank up the biggest beasts on a cold day.

I guess you could put starting fluid in the same place with waiting 30 minutes after you eat before going swimming and if you pull out you cant get pregnant.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:24 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by exitwound
Use with caution!!
The can you don't use long. The girls.....
Old 07-31-2016, 12:27 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
I have used it for testing to see if a vehicle has a fuel problem or an ignition problem. I have also used it for getting a fuel system primed up. And for the naysayers of using it on a " Corvette ",

I had recently used it to get an 86 corvette running after the woman ran it out of gas and let it sit for a year.

I guess you could put starting fluid in the same place with waiting 30 minutes after you eat before going swimming and if you pull out you cant get pregnant.
Correct. A whiff and you are ok. Several seconds, well.......

I just use the pump to prime, repeat and crank for a bit

Or any of the other snake oils that give 20HP for $10 or the Nigerian Princes lined up to give me money?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:55 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 pacer eric
I know it's like cigarettes for cars
Your looking for instant action WITHOUT thinking of the long term affects and it is just cheap enough to hand you a MASSIVE repair bill
Their should be a PSA about it do any of you remember those from the 80's

This is your car 🚗 this is your car on starting fluid 🔥 any questions

Just say NO🚘
Old 11-09-2022, 10:12 PM
cherrypoppins
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 pacer eric
Hello out their how is everyone out their I just got a question I need answered my wife's father is visiting us and we went to the store in the 86 pace car and on the way home he told me NEVER use starting fluid on a corvette cause it will ruin your engine to the point it's trash so is their ANY truth to this I would think not being starting fluid but honestly I don't know so could I get some input from someone who knows thanks
I hope not. I used a **** load on my 1984 corvette's throttle intake to diagnose a bad fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Starting fluid ?