C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front sway bar end link poly bushing install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:41 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front sway bar end link poly bushing install question

1985 Z51 suspension. I have the front sway bar installed correctly, bar ends curving down. The end links are hanging down next to the A-arm brackets. Each link is 1" inboard of where they should connect to the A-arm bracket. The upper link poly bushings are very stiff and only flex about 1 cm when I put a screwdriver through the end link top and torque the end link bottom towards the bracket.

Should the bushing be this stiff? And should they line up better or is this just how poly bushings are for the front end links? I'm pretty sure I could stick a crow bar through the top of the end link and torque it over to bolt it to the A-arm bracket. This would bind the upper end link bushing. Would this loosen up over time? Anyone who has done a poly bushing install probably know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have added a pic. You can see the angle. It really doesn't want to move over.

Thanks

Last edited by BlueTwoToneCorvette; 05-04-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:28 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I just rebuilt my whole suspension so I am familiar with the front sway bar my car is a 1988 Z51.

When I did mine the bushing was a bit stiff and did not line up perfectly, I was able to just use a screwdriver to pry it into place, it did not take much force as mine was only slightly out of alignment. (half of the bolt width).

When I installed my sway bar bushing (energy suspension) the poly part of the bushing was a bit too wide, in fact it was longer than the inner metal sleeve that the bolt goes through. I trimmed the poly bushing so it was just slightly narrower than the inner metal sleeve to stop the bushing from binding on the end-link. maybe the poly bushing in your sway bar is a little to wide as mine was?

Also be sure not to tighten up the bolt holding the way bar to the end link until you have the bottom endlink bolt in.

As long as your sway bar is not upside down the above two suggestions are all I can think of right now...

Last edited by DMITTZ; 05-06-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:26 AM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
I just rebuilt my whole suspension so I am familiar with the front sway bar my car is a 1988 Z51.

When I did mine the bushing was a bit stiff and did not line up perfectly, I was able to just use a screwdriver to pry it into place, it did not take much force as mine was only slightly out of alignment. (half of the bolt width).

When I installed my sway bar bushing (energy suspension) the poly part of the bushing was a bit too wide, in fact it was longer than the inner metal sleeve that the bolt goes through. I trimmed the poly bushing so it was just slightly narrower than the inner metal sleeve to stop the bushing from binding on the end-link. maybe the poly bushing in your sway bar is a little to wide as mine was?

Also be sure not to tighten up the bolt holding the way bar to the end link until you have the bottom endlink bolt in.

As long as your sway bar is not upside down the above two suggestions are all I can think of right now...
The sway bar ends curve down at the end, which from every picture I've seen is the correct orientation.

I am using energy suspension as well. The upper link is a two part bushing. The fat outside donut that goes toward the engine is very tight in the link, and I did tighten it before trying to do the bottom. I should trim the donut like you, it would move more smoothly front to rear.

But the bottom is side to side movement. I'll try what you suggest, thanks.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:00 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Maybe this will help visualize.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:13 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

Your bushing is different than mine, must be a different year? See the metal shell in the eye of the my bar end. That makes it much stiffer left and right. Your setup looks like a larger all poly bushing taking up the same space.

Nice paint. Do you like the ES ball joint covers? Do they keep the grease in? I used them on my upper ball joint. Used the moog rubber cover that came with my lower ball joints.

Last edited by BlueTwoToneCorvette; 05-07-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 379 Likes on 314 Posts

Another idea, do you have offset mount bushings? If you do turn them around. Like these on mine:

Old 05-07-2016, 10:19 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BlueTwoToneCorvette
Your bushing is different than mine, must be a different year? See the metal shell in the eye of the my bar end. That makes it much stiffer left and right. Your setup looks like a larger all poly bushing taking up the same space.

Nice paint. Do you like the ES ball joint covers? Do they keep the grease in? I used them on my upper ball joint. Used the moog rubber cover that came with my lower ball joints.
It's an 86. Used the red ES full kit. Except I switched to the black/graphite for the F/R bars. Not sure if those were from ES or another nfgr. The boots all worked fine without failure. I did switch to red grease to keep the boots from staining.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

My recollection is that the position of the suspension on the opposite side needs to be moved to get this side to line up.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 379 Likes on 314 Posts

Another thought, if the suspension is at full droop jack up the lower a arm to line up the bolt.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Ron B C4
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

That is super clean. Looks so good.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 PM
BlueTwoToneCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
My recollection is that the position of the suspension on the opposite side needs to be moved to get this side to line up.
They are identical both sides on mine. A little to the inside. But I see your point if the bar was off to one side.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTwoToneCorvette
They are identical both sides on mine. A little to the inside. But I see your point if the bar was off to one side.
I meant that the opposite side needs to be jacked up.

-- I typed that before I saw Aardwolf's post --

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 05-09-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front sway bar end link poly bushing install question

Quick Reply: Front sway bar end link poly bushing install question