C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF to MAP Air Intake Conversion - 88 C4 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Yariv
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi,
I quote:
"3A) For my application using 31# injectors on a MiniRam Intake, I first opened the EBL utility and entered my data for engine specific info : MPFI, 8 cyl, 43.5 psi Fuel pressure, 31# injector flow rate, MAP Sensor Bar 1, and TunerPro ver. 5 , which gave me the table data to enter into the following tables:
I entered 134 values[color=#000000] into these 2 tables: BPC - BPC vs. VAC and BST - BPC vs Boost under TunerPro Tables area. Note the EBL_F_3005.BIN is for stock 22# Injectors so YOU MAY have to divide 22/31 = .7097

The best way to compensate for a change in injector flow is to use the ratio of the old injector flow divided by the injector new flow rate. Using that ratio compensate the two AE PW tables (MAP & TPS). As an example, say that the 61 #/hr injectors are replaced with 80.5 #/hr injectors at 18 psi. The new flow rate is then 94.7 #/hr.Creating the ratio:

61 / 94.7 = 0.64"

you wrote the injector size in the BIN is 22 lbs. and if you using 31 you should divide 21 by 31 = .7097. the second example I didn't understand: move from 61 lbs to 80.5 @ 18 psi. the new rate is 94.7 and them divide 61 by 94.7.
Can anyone explain?

P.s. at last O made a ECM conversion to my 85 Vette using Dynamic EFI ECM. Bob was and still very helpful.
Currently I run very very rich (WB = 10.0). As bob said it is expected because I run 24 lbs injectors and I have to tune.
I promise to write a detailed post when I done.
Thank you all.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:03 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Why S/D over MAF ? In my humble opinion the MAF method is not only superior but simpler ! Oh of course I also sell the modern style slot style MAF for your L98 !!! Good-bye Bosch 'hot wire' and obsolete burn-off relay etc., etc........ Seriously why change ? Your "old" ECM with a Moates Ostrich can do real time tuning !!!!!!!! PLUS - the MAF tuning is so easy compared to the S/D tables !!! greg
The following users liked this post:
spiro1962 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Yariv
Instructor

Do you still need to take off the ECM to take off and insert a new chip? With Dynamic EFI, I don't need to do this.
I contacted Moates couple of years ago. because its 870 ECM (24 pins) I also need an adapter. a quote from them:
"We do not sell tools to work with 24 pin ECUs directly. We sell the G2 0.6" chip adapter which allows the use of 28 pin flash EPROMs like the SST27SF512 that we sell. The 24 pin chips can be READ with our gear but not reprogrammed.

You would need:

-G2 0.6" Adapter (solder install)

-BURN2 chip programmer

-C2 27SF512 chip

"
With this gear, it costs almost as DynamicEFI ECM.
Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
Why S/D over MAF ? In my humble opinion the MAF method is not only superior but simpler ! Oh of course I also sell the modern style slot style MAF for your L98 !!! Good-bye Bosch 'hot wire' and obsolete burn-off relay etc., etc........ Seriously why change ? Your "old" ECM with a Moates Ostrich can do real time tuning !!!!!!!! PLUS - the MAF tuning is so easy compared to the S/D tables !!! greg
Old 02-22-2019, 12:06 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nope - nope & NOPE !!!!! If others are interested I will post what you need and cost !
Old 02-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Yariv
Instructor

Go ahead. Thanks
Old 02-22-2019, 12:49 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

I wrote a long detailed explanion - lost it !!!!!! grrrrrrrrr

Will re-do after I recover !!!!!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by BlowerWorks:
ctmccloskey (10-06-2021), spiro1962 (02-24-2019), Yariv (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:32 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
I wrote a long detailed explanion - lost it !!!!!! grrrrrrrrr

Will re-do after I recover !!!!!!!
I'M watching, mainly for my IROC with a Vortech.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Suzie Italiano
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased aBlackwong SLP Cold Air Intake kit from Ecklers . I originally wanted an Edelbrock intake , but it will not fit under the hood , I did not want to do Purchase another hood , so I scrapped that idea .
Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 PM
obijohnkenobe
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Curious as to what makes this better than using one of the Moates RT emulation/programming kits. These run $330 or thereabouts, and gives you the ability to emulate the chip to do realtime tuning as outlined in this thread, but with the original 86-91 ECMs... and you don't lose some CCM functionality like instant/avg MPG, remaining fuel.

I look at these threads and, as I'm considering some engine mods, wondering which way to go... but don't see any disadvantages if one is willing to learn enough to do the tune... and can't see where this is that big of a deal. What am I not seeing?
Old 10-02-2021, 02:59 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an old guy with a 89 w/383 and a TPI.... These things are all Greek to me.... Scott Hnasen did a chip for me and now he has got out of the business. I am having a problems at 30-40-mph with the engine surging. I have always believed that the engine is running rich as the exhaust allways smells very strong. I have Holley 30# injectors. and Hansen was supposed to adjust for that. What about this EBL thing.... will that work???? and maybe solve the problem?
Old 10-03-2021, 08:47 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm and OLD guy with a 89... THIS ALL GREEK TO ME... Can anyone translate all this into plain English... or is there anyone out there west of Houston, Katy, Sealy, Columbus that knows how to do this???
Old 10-04-2021, 01:35 AM
Yariv
Instructor

I have a 1985 Corvette. I run the EBL for 3 years now. In order you to switch to EBL, you need to convert your MAF to MAP system. It can be a hassle. The good thing with EBL is you don't need to take off your ECM in order to apply a new burn/chip. I tuned mine with a help of a friend, I sent him data logs and together we tuned a BIN (TunerPro) and put it back to the EBL/ECM.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:25 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Yariv
I have a 1985 Corvette. I run the EBL for 3 years now. In order you to switch to EBL, you need to convert your MAF to MAP system. It can be a hassle. The good thing with EBL is you don't need to take off your ECM in order to apply a new burn/chip. I tuned mine with a help of a friend, I sent him data logs and together we tuned a BIN (TunerPro) and put it back to the EBL/ECM.
Do you lose any functionality when you switch? Or does everything work pretty much same as before, just better?
Old 10-04-2021, 09:31 AM
Yariv
Instructor

The EBL is way more superior to the C4 1986-1989 ECM. The 1985 ECM is crap. You can add turbo or super charge if you want. I have a new engine with aluminum heads, ported intake and bigger injectors. this is one of the ways you can go.

For example.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:33 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Yariv
The EBL is way more superior to the C4 1986-1989 ECM. The 1985 ECM is crap. You can add turbo or super charge if you want. I have a new engine with aluminum heads, ported intake and bigger injectors. this is one of the ways you can go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOorKEjvrJg

For example.
That looks really great. So you basically just have to swap the MAF to MAP sensor and then plug in the EBL? Do things like overdrive and cruise control still work? I'd love to be able to get in there and tweak things, and the diagnostics capability would really help making sure everything else is working properly.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:38 AM
Yariv
Instructor

Yes, the EBL controls the Lock-up mechanism . you do all your tuning @ Tuner pro and then you inject the BIN back to the EBL. At the begining of this thread, there is a full HOW-TO.
Attached Images

Last edited by Yariv; 10-04-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:35 AM
heinzeroth
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Holley HP ECM Conversion...

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Nice work!

I run an 85 with the Holley HP ECM, completely eliminated the OEM ECM. This is a MAP controlled system vs. MAF as well. The Holley is self learning and is very powerful compared the 870 or 165 units; understatement there. No more one year only MAF's relays, code 33 or 34 ....The 85 doesn't have VATS or computer controlled things I had to give up; just cruise control but I run a 6 speed with an aluminum FW. So that lead me to keep idle @1,000 RPM. That eliminates the ZF gear rattling at idle and to be honest the idle is smooth with the ZZ9 cam I run. Best upgrade ever on these early C4's! I eliminated a bunch of headaches and the car is dialed in running awesome!

This is an excellent thread, should be stickied, agreed!!
Curious as to some of the hurdles you experienced in your Holley HP ECM conversion on the C4 Corvette? The EBL FLash is a cheap and very customizable ECM to work with, but still uses the 30'ish old brittle wiring in the car, seams like everytime I get in the car I need the laptop to tweak something - especially after switching car over to e85 fuel! When car is running fine I praise the EBL ECM, but when it starts getting sick it can be a mother f*cker to work with. Seams like all my problems happen about 30 minutes to hour into a drive session, or so when car is warm, then car starts doing weird stuff at stop lights etc. Code 34. Shut it off and let cool down for awhile and start it back up and it does something or not - always heat related. Going to try moving MAP Sensor to a cooler location, think it may have got cooked by heater hoses or bad electrical wires under heat. Ready fore a change - https://www.larryselectricsite.com/s...hp?productid=0

Last edited by heinzeroth; 09-18-2022 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-25-2022, 07:09 AM
heinzeroth
Intermediate

Default 88’ Corvette – EBL Flash II - Tuning Tips to Get Car to Run Great!

Originally Posted by heinzeroth
Initially after conversion, I found Idle to run rich in VE Learning, I found the biggest contributor to this factor lies in properly adjusting THROTTLE BODY idle adjustment under a "0" IAC, when engine is at operating temp.

In ECM parameters I set idle to 700rpm for IAC parameters, then while putting car in ALDL, while watching WUD (what's up display) with key on (no start mode) you should see the IAC drop to "0" Bar. Before turning key off, disconnect the 4-prong wire connector from IAC on intake manifold - then turn key off.

Hookup a reliable RPM Tach Gauge to distributor.

Start engine, may have to pump throttle, or turn screw on throttle body adjustment to get engine running. Then, set RPM idle to 100 RPM under idle settings in TunnerPro bin for IAC, adjusting idle screw on throttle body linkage. Once set, shut off engine! I set my idle to 600RPM. Shut engine off.

Now, with key on without starting engine, jump the "A" & "B" wires on TPS Sensor and adjust so it reads around .60 volts. Make sure to go buy a new Analog Volt Meter at Walmart fro $10 before hand, for I found my old voltmeter had been dropped or something and I had set it around .30 volts due to voltmeter damage in the past. THIS IS IMPOTANT!!!

After TPS Sensor is set, shut off ignition and reconnect IAC stepper and TPS Sensor connectors.

Now Go under IAC Parameters in TunnerPro and set minimum IAC steps between 10=20 steps, I set mine to 15 steps.

Flash new bin into ecm and do a VE learn for a couple of sessions and idle should start performing around the 13.5 - 14.7 AFR range.

Always reference Intro part 1 & 2 on Dynamic EBL Flash website first for preliminary bin settings beforehand!!! http://www.dynamicefi.com/Tune_Intro.php

Rad 88 Vette

88’ SBC TPI Corvette – EBL Flash II - Tuning Tips to Get Car to Run Great!

Try to get car to normal operating temperatures first!

· Adjust throttle body idle screw to open throttle body butterfly, get IAC sensor to read around 10-20.

· Adjust TPS sensor to read between .58-.60 volts, no more than .60 volts or car may go into flood mode – shutting off fuel injectors at start! Check several times after adjustment is made, by opening and closing throttle linkage, shut off ignition and check again - it can be finicky at times to get the right setting!

· FYI - Especially when starting car in sub-cold freezing wintertime, after car has been sitting in garage from fall - Choke circuit will screw with you then, and your back - check TPS!

· Rest of the adjustments like fuel and spark are done in the ECM, along with O2 sensor swing settings. Make sure the O2 sensor is set to oscillate up and down in spike patters in WUD (EBLsoftware - Whats Up Display) diagnostic, real-time view, when car is running – narrow, tall, up and down spikes is what you want to see. Also, if incorporating a wide-band sensor input, the 2 sensors must overlap each other in their spike patterns, for car to perform correctly to VE fuel tables. May have to adjust the INT settings for O2 in TunnerPro ECM bin. Google EBL Flash O2 Swing Points for other posts on this topic!

Hence, if car starts acting up, these are the 3 important things to check first for diagnostics - 9 times out of 10 the TPS sensor is most crucial to car running smooth throughout the EBL circuitry and tuning. I found wise to only use the "AcDelco Brand" for the O2 Heated Narrow-band Sensor # AFS74 and for the TPS Sensor AcDelco #213-905. For MAP Sensor I use the Oreilly Autoparts "Standard Brand" # AS5 - produces fastest response time! Because I'm burning ethanol, I run the wide-band LSU4.9 from my Innovate Motorsports EF-1 Controller for alcohol content in fuel and for AFR or Lambda reference in datalog. You can also use the wide-band input for learn sessions in open loop, by raising the closed-loop CTS settings in TunnerPro! I also found a better location for MAP Sensor mounting to top bolt of AC Housing away from heater hoses close to fender wall, baking the MAP Sensor. Cheers!!

MAP Sensor on bracket to AC housing bolt location.

SBC 383 TPIS MiniRam Intake Stroker Motor.

Attached Files

Last edited by heinzeroth; 09-25-2022 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo error
Yariv (09-25-2022)
Old 01-14-2024, 10:02 AM
heinzeroth
Intermediate

DYI UPDATE 2024 - Ditch the Dynamic EBL Flash II ECM and do the FITECH TPI 38351 ECM. What I think was the problem along with using the EBL ecm was using the MAF to MAP wiring conversion and stock Corvette wiring with faulty Grounding issues. Everytime I got close to EBL Performance standards I would lose a MAP or TPS Sensor the next time I went to start car or be driving it, only to expect a possible problem at the next stop light - Barely Limping Away! Here is a link to my posts on FITECH Conversion, which is self contained in wiring aspects for reliability and drivability!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onversion.html
Yariv (01-14-2024)

Quick Reply: MAF to MAP Air Intake Conversion - 88 C4 Corvette