C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAGNAFLOW Muffler FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 PM
vettme
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MAGNAFLOW Muffler FAIL

After 7yrs & under 60k miles, my LT MAGNFLOW Muffler bracket pulled off of the casing. Leaving a hole on the top side of the MAGNAFLOW Muffler exposing the sound packing! I'm presently trying to locate the paperwork from where I purchased the MAGNAFLOW cat-back system to claim the lifetime warrenty.
OK To my question, Does anyone know if a Corsa muffler will go onto a Magnaflow cat-back system?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by vettme
After 7yrs & under 60k miles, my LT MAGNFLOW Muffler bracket pulled off of the casing. Leaving a hole on the top side of the MAGNAFLOW Muffler exposing the sound packing! I'm presently trying to locate the paperwork from where I purchased the MAGNAFLOW cat-back system to claim the lifetime warrenty.
OK To my question, Does anyone know if a Corsa muffler will go onto a Magnaflow cat-back system?
I'd say NOT on the Corsa and your Magnaflow failure was quite common with their earlier product and I didn't think the earlier product had LIFETIME - a few here were accommodated and others struggled to get anything at all. It's been a long time since I've seen a failure posted. It used to be a weekly occurrence.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed one of the earlier versions and that's what failed on mine and they did an exchange for me no questions asked....just need your bill of sale
The following users liked this post:
vettme (05-11-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:48 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

7 yrs isnt horrible although not desirable
Dont see why a competent muffler guy couldnt put corsas on there problem is buying the mufflers by themselves

They could sell a bazillion of them if they did
The following users liked this post:
vettme (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:09 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
...... They could sell a bazillion of them if they did
Had to check..http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bazillion

Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 95BLKVette
I installed one of the earlier versions and that's what failed on mine and they did an exchange for me no questions asked....just need your bill of sale
Same here......in fact they sent two mufflers and did not need to return the one failed muffler.

SAVE THE WAVE !
Old 05-11-2016, 01:43 PM
vettme
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95BLKVette
Thats the "sticky" part. I cant locate the bill of sale. I do have the AMEX statment that shows when and how much and the name of the Retailer I got it from. The transaction was thru a Pay-Pal so tring to locate the retailer is difficult (I think there out of busines) MAGNAFLOW is having me contact "Any Authorised Retailer" to do the warrenty claim , but sofare SUMMITT Racing & AUTOZONE wont play ball unless they made the original sale. Hopefully MAGNAFLOW will come thru.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

It might be difficult to get Corsa muflfers. I bought a Corsa Cat back system, and installed it on a car with LT headers years ago. The car sounded very nice - but I ran afoul of the noise restrictions on a certain road race track in CT. I called Corsa to try to buy a replacement set of pipes that came in the kit (I was going to try to install Magnaflows to see if they would be a bit quieter)- and Corsa basically said that they won't sell any parts separately. How's that for Customer Service ???
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
It might be difficult to get Corsa muflfers. I bought a Corsa Cat back system, and installed it on a car with LT headers years ago. The car sounded very nice - but I ran afoul of the noise restrictions on a certain road race track in CT. I called Corsa to try to buy a replacement set of pipes that came in the kit (I was going to try to install Magnaflows to see if they would be a bit quieter)- and Corsa basically said that they won't sell any parts separately. How's that for Customer Service ???
I had a similar experience when repairing a collision loss (not mine) with a Billy Boat system and I only had to supply a snapshot of the damage on the car and they supplied parts with a note that mentioned "fitment issues weren't their responsibility".

With a Corsa system and an invoice I was able to buy the forward pipes (from converters to resonator) for a system I had for an LT1 C4 to be used on an LT5. The order needed to be placed with the selling vendor and couldn't be placed by me. It's been 10 or so years ago and I was surprised at the pricing (inexpensive I thought) for the times. I don't recall the $$ but I couldn't have done them in a custom shop for anything less than what I paid. I sorta understand the policy.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-13-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

A good exhaust guy could easily adapt Corsa mufflers to your system. The harder part will be finding a set of Corsa mufflers only, as they only sell complete systems. Years ago I was in the same boat as you. I already had a decent SS, dual exhaust system, but I wanted Corsa mufflers. I patiently watched the "for sale" forum until a set of mufflers popped up and I scooped them up. My muffler guy adapted them to my current exhaust with ease.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Dont see why a competent muffler guy couldnt put corsas on there
Originally Posted by TA
A good exhaust guy could easily adapt Corsa mufflers to your system.
And to that end, a good welder could easily weld the hanger back on the muffler and fill the hole in the process. Muffler would last you another 7 years (or more).
Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Vettme, if you are ultimately not able to locate your proof of purchase, please get in contact with our tech support center and we can try to to work on another solution with you.

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 05-17-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:54 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Same problem here. I bought the 3" system when it was first released. I save all my receipts (have piles of them) but with building a new house and garage I cant find that one. Mine are cracked at the mount welds too. Since I couldn't find the receipt I welded it with stainless mig wire.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:41 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is my thread regarding warranty. It lasted 2 days

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ger-welds.html

I recall they did make changes to hanger design, on the latter version.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
I recall they did make changes to hanger design, on the latter version.
Correct. Changes were made years ago to correct the issue

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 05-18-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 AM
vetteman42
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Magna_Flow
Vettme, if you are ultimately not able to locate your proof of purchase, please get in contact with our tech support center and we can try to to work on another solution with you.
Now this is refreshing and how many of us remember "customer service" used to be in the "day".

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, MagnaFlow was excellent with me when I had a hanger problem perhaps 10 or more years ago.

More company's should take note of how MagnaFlow is taking an extra step or two "outside the box" to help this member. These kinds of actions can only promote their products as well as their company's image to auto owners and other businesses.

Well Done...MagnaFlow!

SAVE THE WAVE
Old 05-24-2016, 05:32 PM
tuned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default howdy

Originally Posted by vettme
If u pull the muffler off can u just weld a piece of metal to cover up the hole? Or do u live in a snow environment. If u got salt on the roads bud they eat everything man

Get notified of new replies

To MAGNAFLOW Muffler FAIL

Quick Reply: MAGNAFLOW Muffler FAIL