C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 Random Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by qws
So if I have no resistance on both the primary and secondary then how is this car starting up? That at this point is my question
There will be almost no resistance on the primary side of the coil and only a small amount of resistance on the secondary side. This is correct and proper. If your test results (on the coil) reflect this, then its probably ok.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:43 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally have some good news on this. I put in the new ignition coil and ran the car. After about 25 min's of running I got the car to stall, it didn't want to restart. I had the fuel pressure gauge on at the same time. No fuel pressure, after trying to start it for 2-3 mins the fuel pressure came back. No codes at this time

As I mentioned, last week I changed fuel pump,sock and filter.

So I think Ill move in the direction of the fuel pump relay or oil sender.

Seems like after maybe one of these sensors heat up it fails. But at least I finally saw something
Old 05-19-2016, 10:55 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Good deal
Old 05-19-2016, 10:57 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by qws
I finally have some good news on this. I put in the new ignition coil and ran the car. After about 25 min's of running I got the car to stall, it didn't want to restart. I had the fuel pressure gauge on at the same time. No fuel pressure, after trying to start it for 2-3 mins the fuel pressure came back. No codes at this time

Seems like after maybe one of these sensors heat up it fails. But at least I finally saw something
That is great news. Intermittent conditions are tough to properly diagnose, but it sounds like your on the right track with the relay and sender and so on ....
Old 05-19-2016, 01:51 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by qws

Why not measure the voltage at the pump and see if your actually loosing that?

Here is the thing. On a 94, your fuel pump can be powered up by the fuel pump relay and/or the oil pressure switch. The only way for it to just stop is if it looses power from both at the same time? I doubt that is going to happen.

Are your connections and grounds TIGHT and CLEAN? Are the wires good? Have you done any kind of voltage drop testing on the fuel pump while it is in operation?

Do you have a multi-meter and a wiring diagram?

You've already thrown more than a few parts at this with no luck. You found a definite problem with the fuel pressure dropping off, why not diagnosis it so you don't waste any more $ on parts.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

A while back this is what a fellow found when "rooting around" under the dash of a '94 in the vicinity of the FURL PUMP RELAY". You might search for multiple posts by that user and see an ultimate finish maybe or what his original issue was. I don't recall anything except identifying some things for him and confirming what I thought the location was in the relay array under the dash.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590997208

Here's a thread of his also where he mentioned DTC 16 AGAIN

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-94-again.html

He also had a thread where car ran for 15 minutes and stalled?

How about a potential PCM ground failure OR ..............

I'm with "93Rubie" look maybe more seriously into the FUEL SYSTEM and maybe Fuel Enable entirely

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-19-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:19 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Now since I've got a lead on this problem, I'm trying to do some trouble shooting. The FSM isn't clear on where the fuel pump relay is located. I'm assuming somewhere under the dash.. drivers or passengers side?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:31 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

So I found the relays.
Even though the car is a nice clean car, I was surprised when I opened up the kick panel on the passengers side to find a huge mouse nest. The relay box was covered. Fortunetly they didn't chew thru any wires only the vac line that runs thru there. All wires are in perfect shape.

Relay tested fine. I did however swap it out with another one that had the same part number.

At this point I have run the car, with pressure gauge still attached for almost 2 hours and haven't lost fuel psi yet. Don't think her car is out of the woods yet. Still looking for more.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Shooter71
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever resolve your stalling problem?

Can you clarify where the relay box is on the passenger side "kick panel"

Quick Reply: 94 Random Stalling