C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Steering Column Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldPoop55
I too need help getting the steering column out. I removed the two bolts under the dash as well as the two bolts against the firewall. I also removed the two bolts on the accelerator to get it out of the way. The pinch bolt is removed as well and seems like the shaft is loose in the coupling. But, I can't pull the steering column through the firewall. It seems to be getting stuck on this little ring at the bottom of the steering column with the two small screws. Do I need to remove it? Picture is below of the replacement steering column so you can see what I am talking about.

Hey,

I happened to remove the bolts on the bottom there, I believe it's to hold a bearing in place but I didn't remove that ring because the column just came out. Are you sure the steering shaft is actually loose from the joint where the pinch bolt was? I had to have someone use a very large flathead screwdriver and hammer to separate the joint for the shaft to come out. There should be enough room in the firewall the pull out the column without removing that ring.

-Avi
Old 06-03-2016, 07:14 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I'll give that a try before I remove the ring.

I'll report back when done.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:01 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

I soaked the joint with WD40 the night before. I then wedged a large screw drive into the joint, tapped it with the hammer three times to get it wedged in there pretty good and my son was able to remove the steering column. I didn't have it loose after all as you had suggested. The replacement is installed and this is definitely a two man job. Just need to reinstalled the accelerator peddle and the steering wheel. Hopefully all works well.

Regards...
Old 06-09-2016, 08:10 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

I picked this 'vette up as an abandoned vehicle. Finally got the fuel system cleared and replaced the fuel pump. Fixed the oil leaks on the valve covers and oil cooler lines. Starts and runs but have a leaky radiator now.

Decided to finish installing the steering column by moving the steering wheel from the old steering column to the new one. I start taking the steering wheel off the old column and I see that the RETAINER, CARRIER SNAP RING, number 5 on page 3B5-4 of the shop manual is in pieces. Looked all over the web and can't find one.

Any one have any ideas?
Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPoop55
I picked this 'vette up as an abandoned vehicle. Finally got the fuel system cleared and replaced the fuel pump. Fixed the oil leaks on the valve covers and oil cooler lines. Starts and runs but have a leaky radiator now.

Decided to finish installing the steering column by moving the steering wheel from the old steering column to the new one. I start taking the steering wheel off the old column and I see that the RETAINER, CARRIER SNAP RING, number 5 on page 3B5-4 of the shop manual is in pieces. Looked all over the web and can't find one.

Any one have any ideas?
Search eBay for a 7808385 and you should be all set!!! Corvette Central and most other resellers have it also.

Did you get hoses made or just add plugs to the filter housing?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-09-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

Just bought the part on ebay. Thanks.

On the hoses, I just bought a 10 foot length and cut to fit. Used some screw down clamps but, I am going to take your suggestion and actually go back to standard. Just looks like to Mickey Mouse of a oil cooler system.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:04 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

BTW, was the part. Steering column is installed and all is working.

Quick Reply: 1984 Steering Column Removal